“convenient” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 32 Hotels in Minot
Callaway, Minnesota
“convenient”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

The motel was very easy to find. The staff was pleasant and helpful. The rate was reasonable. I asked for a main floor room because of health issues. The receptionist told me that the room she had assigned to me was on the main floor. It wasn't, but I didn't want to go back to the office and complain as I was tired from driving 5 1/2 hours. There was no elevator so I had to struggle getting my baggage up the stairs. However, the parking was quite handy, right outside the downstairs rooms. The room smelled strongly of stale smoke. I opened up the window to get fresh air in. During the night I got up to close the window for my safety after I was woke up by a loud argument outside the room. The men were yelling in a non-English language so I didn't know what the problem was or if I should call the office. The room was nice and warm when I came in. I appreciated this after my long drive. The carpet was very dirty so I kept my shoes on. The motel is handy to the university, shopping and eating. I just wish there were no smoking rooms and the carpet was clean. I would stay again as the positives outweighed the negatives.

#102 - review
#1361 - reservation

Room Tip: #102 - review #1361 - reservation
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Hither and Yon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I had to call reception when we got to the room because the carpet desperately needed to be cleaned. They did send up a cleaner, and while she was there I asked for a garbage can, as there was nowhere to put rubbish in the room. I should have also asked for a chair to sit in, as there was absolutely no where to sit on or rest a suitcase other than the bed. Come to think of it, there wasn't even a counter in the room, as the sink was free-standing... We ended up setting up the ironing board, so we could set out our toiletries...

We weren't comfortable letting the baby crawl around on the carpet (despite the hoovering, it was still filthy--mud stains everywhere), so we flipped the bed cover onto the floor and he was at least out of the mud.

We were there two nights for Minot's annual Nord Hostfest, and never did a cleaner come in to replace the toilet paper, make the beds, or clean the room. For a room that is priced over $80 per night, they certainly don't have the service to back up the cost...

The ONLY good thing about this hotel is that there is a great Chinese Buffet adjacent, called the HIbachi Grill. Should I be in Minot again, I'd rather my family sleep in the car than stay here again...

Room Tip: Bottom floor seems to be reserved for long-time renters, like workers in the oil fields...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Canada, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I Will never stay in this hotel ever again, smell so bed in Side THE room. Everything is don't work everything Same likje have à problem. THE toilet never work and the towel is so dirty do not use THE towel ever Sime like They never clean THE towel.

Room Tip: I Will never stay in this hotel ever again.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Midland, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The staff seemed new but they tried to make my stay comfortable. I can see why people have given it bad reviews but I can say it appears to be because of the guest and how they behave. I didnt expect that they would turn people away based off apperances so if seedy people were around the staff tried there best to keep them under control.. I also didnt expect it to be a quiet family hotel since it is in the same parking lot as a sports bar and casino.

It was coveniant when I did go out for drinks since I wasnt drinking and driving and I liked that there is a kmart in back of it, a grocery store across the street and a great chinese buffet restaraunt also in the same parking lot.

Over all it is a great at getting what I paid for. I wasnt looking to pay $100 a night in a lavish hotel. I was looking to just stay for a while and not have empty pockets.

Room Tip: Check your room as soon as you check in because they are remodeling so if there is something unsatis...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
ND
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

This hotel smells so bad they never clean the towel or the bed sheet, only drug people stay in this hotel, I stay in this hotel the room very dirty. Don't ever stay in this hotel ever! dangerous hotel everybody can go to you room to steal your stuff !! one time somebody knock my door they want to go to in side the room. I was so shock!

Room Tip: better sleep in your car then in this hotel.!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Michigan City, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

with pays $69/night what i got: 1. i try too move almost 5 room and all room really smell smoke or dope/smell puke/ smell urine/smell poop
2/ all tv have all always trouble. check refrigerator u will be surprised hows smell or dirty, phone always have problem,ac & heater always trouble, toilet between broken or the flush dont worked or stuck ,the bath so filthy,all house keeping lady always to much smoking & play around,front desk not to much care.
3. all blanket really smell smoke,bottom my bed i found to much trash include condom in my bed,my towel i never use it cause really dirty,they don't have new towell all towel so filthy dirty.,
4. to many people knocking door at night between drunk people or try to sell drug. be careful with this hotel dont put ur expensive stuff in your room,they can open your room.
5.people said this good hotel...i thinks they really blind and drunk...
6. to many thinks in room broken,really do u wanna spent money in this hotel???
7.Police coming to many time cause to many people sell drug there dont ever bring your kids there.
8.for how longs i saw there and stay there i see to many people coming like homesless,so why the room really filthy dirty,special carpet
9. now u will easy see all kind bed bug and and bug coming to your room and your food..have fun for that...have funnnn

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I believe there is something fishy going on if anyone actually had been to this motel the idea that it is acceptable to anyone is a complete joke. Please ask to see the rooms before you book. I was astonished to find out what type a place this is. The bathroom door was some sort of plastic sheet that didn't offer much in the way of privacy. Luckily I was alone.

Room Tip: haggle until you get hostel like rates. That is what you are really paying for.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Magic City Motel? Share your experiences!