“Worst hotel stay EVER” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Minot
Saskatoon, Canada
“Worst hotel stay EVER”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

I'll start with the positives...the bed is comfortable. That's it!! From check in to check out we had nothing but issues. When we arrived it was after 10pm and the staff were all sitting around. We waited 5 minutes before even getting service. The lady that came over barely spoke English. She informed us that breakfast was included in our rate and was available between 6:30am to 9:30am!! I mean really who's up and ready before then on vacation? At any hotel I've stayed at breakfast is served until 11am. Then we get to our room and the carpet is soaking wet and it smells like bleach/cleaner. Couldn't even stay in the room b/c of the smell so we left and went out for supper. Came back to return to the smelly room only to realize that we could hear clearly word for word and sneeze for sneeze our neighbor...oh and did I mention the hotel is right on the highway?? I woke at 4:30am to hear sirens and traffic noises. At 5:40am I hear ppl walking above me and banging around. Sleep was non-existent from this point on. My throat was swollen and sore and my nose was plugged up from the bleach and cleaner used. So much for the get away with no kids and having piece and quiet...also I had mentioned when making the reservations online that I have alergies to perfume and bleach/cleaner. When I had complained we were upgraded to another room...on the highway again!!! Ok I'll give credit for trying.
That evening after returning from our day out and supper we thought hey why not check out the pool. Our room key would not work to give us access and so we went to the front desk. The same lady who checked us in informs us that the mechanism that reads our cards is broken and will not be repaired until the morning we check out. Good thing nobody was drowning!! Gosh you pay money to use the hotel facilities they advertise and then can't even use them...she didn't even apologize for the inconvenience.
At check out the only bright spot is Jessica who did discount our rate after I insisted this be done of course. I can guarantee my husband and I will never stay at this hotel in Minot, ND again or anywhere this chain is for that matter!!

• Stayed July 2013
Jessica R, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
I apologize for the trouble you encountered with your rooms and the pool area. We always try to give our guests the comfort and convenience they deserve. We will be working with our staff on how to properly address guests requests and concerns in the future. We take pride in offering the best service in the hospitality industry and regret those occasions when we do not live up to our guests' expectations. We value your business and would like to invite you to stay with us again so we may have the opportunity to better serve you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Benton, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Clean, comfortable room with king bed. Great location. Only complaint-breakfast offered was pitiful. No oatmeal, eggs almost all gone, ham burned and no one to refill the dishes. If you don't want to offer breakfast don't advertise one; if you advertise, deliver.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jessica R, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
We are so sorry that you had a poor breakfast experience. I will personally check on this and do everything in my power to make sure that our breakfast is up to the same standards that we have for the rest of our hotel. I look forward to giving you a better second impression. We have recently changed over in our management, and I am looking forward making sure this hotel meets and exceeds all brand standards.
Regina, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Room was originally listed at $135.00, but we only were charged $115.00...Nice surprise. Rooms were fine, nothing spectacular. Clean and functional. Breakfast was your basic continental, waffles, cereals, fruit, bagels/toast, boiled eggs/yogurt.....swimming pool was nice, (Completely empty, no one around) and a Hot tub that didn't really work, but it was warm.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Saskatchewan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Lovely rooms, clean and tidy, all the things you would want - except a trouble free quick breakfast! 3 mornings and all 3, they had run out of the hot breakfast items, as well as yoghurt and knives one morning. Hot breakfast items were still 'coming' 20 minutes later (only waited that long once - learned my lesson!) - finally just cooked a waffle. Everyone complaining about lack of food at the breakfast bar. Yoghurt never was full - wonder if it was full first thing in the morning?? Knives took 10 minutes one morning. VERY s l o w service at the breakfast bar. Elsewhere, all good! Easy check in and check out.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Lloydminster, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Convenient location, close to amenities with added bonus it's like new. Excellent place for quick shopping weekend or just a stop over. Nice pool and fitness facility. The breakfast was a bonus for the moderate price of the room. We will be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Bismarck, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

After leaving our previous destination a day early; I found this hotel at 7PM and checkin 2 hours later. The hotel is located on the west edge of town and was easy to find, It's close to the mall and the highway. Check-in was quick and easy with no problems. There was plenty of parking in a lighted parking lot as well. The pool area was "out of order" when we arrived, which for us wasn't a problem we weren't going swimming, but the front desk did not mention this when we checked in. The hotel is fairly new and the room looked brand new still; and clean. It had a nice big desk and dresser. The beds were comfortable and everyone had a good nights rest. They have continental breakfast as well with hot eggs, sausage, and french toast. They also had make your own waffles and the muffins, toast and cereal bar as well. It was a very good selection. No problems with this hotel and would stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Fargo, North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I was out in the Minot area overnight on business. I found the Country Inn and Suites to be very reasonably priced. It was a very enjoyable stay. I found the room to be much larger than I expected. Very clean and quiet. I slept great. It's not quite as convenient a location if you're interested in going to the mall and you definitely have to drive rather than walk to get to restaurants or any shopping. For a business trip it's a great choice with excellent access off of Hwy 2/52.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Country Inn & Suites by Carlson? Share your experiences!