“Great week had by all!” 4 of 5 stars

Viva Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Golden Sands 9007, Bulgaria   |
Ranked #7 of 105 Hotels in Golden Sands
West Midlands
“Great week had by all!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

We stayed in Viva hotel for one week at the beginning of August, 2011. Considering it was school holidays, the hotel was not over run by kids and there was a nice mix of guests in the hotel with entertainment for the kids also available. The food was good, plenty of choice (the soup is FANTASTIC!!) and lots of different drinks available and the waiters are happy to make a cocktail for you. As a group of young 20 somethings we were also interested in the nightlife. If i'm honest, the hotel was a bit away from the strip and beach where all the main bars are, with 2 sets of very dark and uneven steps to navigate (difficult after making use of the all inclusive bar!) so the less mobile do beware! Staff friendly and helpful and the facilities are also good, better than most hotels in Spain. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Polish first
Onesti, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I went there last year in July with my husband and we had a great time. I must mention that we are not pretentious; we eat food, we drink drinkable liquids :) - mostly non-alcoholic, so I cannot complain about quality. I was mainly interested in cakes (good!) and fruit (the watermelon was fresh and delicious all the time!) Unfortunately it rained 5 days out of 7, but we had the Internet in the hall and the bars around the hotel to help us get rid of the boredom. The room was clean, the bathroom as well, I don't remember if they changed the linen, but the towels were definitely changed all the time. The pool is quite large - rare feature in Bulgarian Golden Sands hotels. The only drawback is that you have to move around the pool a lot, since there is always the shade of the hotel coming upon you and you won't get a suntan unless you move your sun bed according to the moment of the day. The Young German tourists are drunk all the time and they tend to make a lot of noise - one morning at 4 o'clock my husband had to their room and ask them politely to stop yelling, because the people at the reception do not come to tell them they disturb all the others (finally, they are customers, so they shouldn't be bothered, right?) Anyway, good price, good quality, so you can safely go!

Room Tip: Not on first floor and not above the restaurant - you'll hear the music from the speakers at the...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

Never been to Bulgaria before was pleasantly surpriced with what Golden Sands had to offer, We went over my birthday the hotel gave me and my freind room 625 this is one of the larger rooms on offer in the hotel with one bathroom and seperate wc/washroom we never had to wait for one another. it was very light and airy with fully glazed wall overlooking the trees and sea the hotel is situated within a few minutes walkto the beach, the hotel is very clean the cleaning staff always smiled and said hello,some of the bar staff are a little blunt..but the entertainers were a great laugh with quizzes on every night but thursdays, there is plenty of variety with the food there are always special nights with different varietys but still have a selection of the sausages, eggs,pastas, burgers etc,ive read reveiws from people saying the food what such a let down. im a pretty fussy eater myself i found plenty of different things to eat, for bearkfast theres your usual selection of cartoned juices, cereals,toast,yoghurt, fruit, sausages, scramble egg, oddly some mini doughnuts too.. to go down to the market i reccomend takng the path tot he right rear of the hotel as there are very steep stairs on the exit on the left, and arent very well light up at night one of the people we met up with did fall down these and twisted her ankle, once your on the street there are market stalls and shops you get pestered a little with people giving you flyers but jsut accept them and move on... you can walk for miles long the coast following the line of shops and marketstalls it jsut seems to keep on going we gave up after 2miles but at night the atmosphere is amazing with the music playing everyone. alcohol is very cheap too.

Room Tip: id recooment asking for a room on a higher floor to get some nice veiws
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

We stayed at the Viva Hotel for 1 week at the end of August, 2011. We were a party of three and booked into a superior room on the 7th floor. It was quite large and we had two bathrooms. We had a balcony that overlooked the parking area and surrounding woods. The only thing better would have been a balcony overlooking the water and/or pool but I'm not sure our hotel had views like that.

The food was plentiful and tasty. Each breakfast there was a hot bar with eggs of a couple different varieties (i.e. boiled, scrambled), and something they called french toast along with several other hot foods. They didn't have any maple flavored syrup as we know it, however. They did have plenty of different kinds of jams and honey, however. Then, they had fresh fruit, fruit flavored drinks, a variety of breads and a toaster, toppings for the bread if you preferred (including chocolate like Nutella). They also offered cold cereals. There were also some sweet breads including croissants one day. There was white cheese and yellow cheese, and plenty of veggies at their salad bar.

One of the reasons I chose a larger hotel was so that there would be a large variety of foods at each meal. There was. I was not disappointed and can't imagine anyone being disappointed with the food.

For lunch there was always a huge salad bar with a variety of fresh fixings like lettuce, peppers, onions, etc. along with pre-made salads of the Eastern European variety--also including potato salad. There seemed to be only one kind of buttermilk type dressing with some herbs in it, but people that live in this part of the world are unfamiliar with Thousand Island Dressing or Ranch. I could wish, but have learned to save those expectations for visits to the states. The time of year we were there meant that we had watermelon, grapes, cantaloupe, honeydew melon and oranges available every day. They were usually delicious, but sometimes, just as when you purchase them at home, they weren't quite as tasty as other times. They did a good job of keeping the fruit platter full. For those of us living where fruit tends to be expensive, this was a wonderful treat.

Soft drinks at meals were self-serve. They had Pepsi brands, but unfortunately, they didn't have Diet Pepsi or Pepsi Max. IMO, this is the only thing that needed to be improved here. I wish they would have offered something with 0 calories. Some people don't like drinking so much sugar yet want something with carbonation.... They did have water available, so that was nice. I ended up buying Coca Cola Light at the local kiosks and kept a bottle in my room refrigerator.

There was a bar by the pool that kept the pool loungers in drinks, but it was not self-serve there and you had to ask the host/hostess working the bar. There wasn't usually a problem, however, and the lines were not long.

Suppers/evening dinners were similar to lunches but even better. They had probably 6-8 choices of meats daily, including chicken, pork, pizza, spaghetti, beef and fish as well. The pizza was decent tasting (I've had it before in other countries and it was better left uneaten and I'm not a picky eater.) A couple of times a week they had at themed night. One was Bulgarian where the wait staff were dressed in traditional Bulgarian outfits. I will try to attach some pictures of the meal this evening.

If you wanted to sleep in and missed breakfast, they had something outside by the pool almost all day. Ice cream was available all day, after about 10 or 11 am until 6 pm, self serve and it tasted good. I especially liked the chocolate. It wasn't Hagan Daas, but neither was it ice milk. I suspect that they make it themselves. They had ice cream available every lunch and supper meal as well as part of the dessert offerings. They didn't have chocolate syrup while I was there...that was the only sad part for me, but they did have a variety of fruit flavored syrups to go on the ice cream. My daughter really like the ready availability of the ice cream and I've never had this at any hotel/resort I've stayed in and so far I've stayed in 7 of these week long things in Egypt, Israel, Tunesia and Crete.

The grounds of the hotel wasn't that big nor was there room for beautifully landscaped flowers. The pool took up most of the area behind the hotel, between the hotel and the road that led to the Golden Sands beach. You do have to walk up steps to get to the hotel from the beach and it is about a 15 minute walk from the beach. I had hoped that the shuttle that some had mentioned would be in active use as the lady who was with us had trouble walking and getting to the beach was a serious problem here. Taxis will gladly take you to the beach, however, if walking is a problem and the shuttle isn't available as it wasn't for us.

The hotel staff was extremely helpful and kind. I can't imagine them being more so.

The maids cleaned our room every day that they could. No complaints there. The ceiling was fine--we liked our room. The shower was especially large and the bathrooms in general were fine. We were on the 7th floor so we used the elevators. They had two and we used them often. I didn't find the wait unreasonable, but they weren't the fastest of elevators. Because we were on the 7th floor it was very quiet. We heard no night club sounds, for which we were thankful as I had read in the Golden Sands area, sleeping is sometimes difficult to the level of noise.

The lobby was spacious and had WiFi. This is also unusual as many hotels of this type will charge for this amenity---at something like $10/day additional charge, but they offered it free.

We were very close to the area AquaPark. Since this is one thing I had wanted to do, it saved us a taxi or bus ride by being able to walk there (about 300 meters). Also, this hotel is close to a bus stop. We chose to ride the bus to Varna on Sunday to check out a church in the area. There were no problems with this. The hotel staff shared maps and gave us directions on where to go and what to see.

There is a taxi driver that wanders around inside the hotel looking for business but there are also taxi drivers hovering outside the hotel property who will gladly take you places. It is probably best to decide on a price first. We found a taxi driver who spoke Polish, for my Polish lady friend who could take my friend to the hot water mineral springs about 10 km away.

Overall, we were all pleased. We have no complaints. The biggest two things I wish that were different about the week were that the person who said he was working as a hotel shuttle would have been working (he/she was absent that week--they are not part of the hotel itself, however, and it wasn' the hotel's fault he/she wasn't there) and that they served no calorie carbonated drinks like Pepsi Light or Pepsi Max.

I would highly recommend this hotel to you. At the price we paid, I think it was an excellent value and couldn't expect any more than what we got. IOW, I think we got maximum benefit and do not see how they could offer more without raising their prices.

Do not be scared off by negative reviews of this hotel. People were definitely pleased when I was there. I heard a couple of grouzers at the hotel desk, but overall, people were happy with the food and other amenities.

There was a small gym, but it was too hot to exert myself that much.

The small shops that line the streets on your way to the beach were plentiful and reasonably priced.. We enjoyed checking them all out. There were several small supermarkets where you could buy additional snacks and drinks should your hotel not provide enough. These shops began shortly after the steps down the back of the hotel.

Golden Sands itself is quite expensive and I wonder when they will price themselves out of the market. The beach chairs, umbrellas and cushions amounted to a considerable amount of money if one wanted to use these daily. You could choose to sit on the sand directly with your own towel. Many people did this but your spots were the least desirable. I can't imagine paying what it would cost for a family for the week. They told us the prices were fixed so they couldn't offer any deals. Going at 3 in the afternoon cost the same as going at 7 in the morning.

Enjoy.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

very nice clean and friendly hotel.The animation team work very hard as well as all the staff. ideal location 10 mins from seafront with a nice beach.Would go back to this hotel but for two weeks next time.

Room Tip: get an end of corridor pool view room so people getting in late do not wake you.
Constanta, Romania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

We arrived on 25 of august, 2011 and received the room #127: the air conditioning was not working, first level up to the pool, so too much noise during the day or night, bad smell from drainage system; we asked for another room; the answer was there is a room free right up to 127: 227; same bad smell, same noise, air conditioning only on ventilation; so, I don't recommend the hotel for someone who wants to relax during the vacation, only if you ask for a very quiet room.

Room Tip: Ask for a very quiet room, no bad smell inside.
Bucharest, Romania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

Hotel Viva is a medium hotel located aproximately 1 km from the beach. In order to get to the beach you have to walk through some steep steps (100m) in a complete dark during the night (you can expect to be robbed there) and then to walk on the street (the sidewalks are occupied by shops) where off course cars and buses will honk you.

We stayed (2 adults and our 2yr child) in a superior room that was large enough, with 2 bathrooms. The room has an incredible low ceiling (if you are taller than you will be able to touch the ceilling with your hand). The walls - all walls - are made of gypsum (rigips) so you can hear all your neighbours. The carpet in the room was only dusted, never washed so the blue colour of the carpet was a grey blue from the dirt. The furniture (as much as it is) is old and almost dismebered. The matress of the double bed was a very cheap one, and we find it difficult to sleep on it (you could feel the springs of the mattress).

The services of the hotel are almost fair for the prices charged. You can always find something to eat and drink and the place is rather clean. The pool is ok if you are not allergic to the chloride that you can smell from the distance. Also the animation team will make an impossible mission if you want to have a lunch nap because they are crying in the boxes all day long (only if you have a pool view room).

In the period we stayed in the hotel was full of young rude germans that kept howling and roaring and crying all night long after getting drunk. The hotel staff didn't care about this. I had to go at 5 am to ask someone in reception to come and begg the drunken german to shut up.

The hotel has no amenities for families with children, the "children pool" was 0.5m deep so only 8-10yr old children could go in. The "kids club" is a dirty tent with two chairs and a table.

If you are a teenager run away from home that wants to get drunk and then hysterical cry until morning this is your place to go.

Room Tip: Ask a quiet room with a good mattress if you want to sleep
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Viva Hotel? Share your experiences!