“Avoid at all costs” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #102 of 103 Hotels in Golden Sands
Umea, Sweden
“Avoid at all costs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I've recently came back from Dana Palace (July 2012). I was trying to find some positive sides but unfortunatelly I couldn't. First of all staff does not speak nor understand english, at least not enough to comprehend that `the cleaning lady didn't appear in my room since 3 days` which is second thing to mention. Cleanliness in the hotel is below 0. People come back from the beach so it's obvious that there will be lot of sand mixed with water to be cleaned. The cleaning lady `cleans` the room by replacing bag in trash can and leave additional toilet paper roll. I was trying to report the incident by asking receptionists if someone can finally come to wipe the floor at least in my room and I got reply to find cleaning lady and tell that to her. Shocking but I did so, I asked if she will find time to come up to my room to do little cleaning. What I got was reply in bulgarian. I gave up. Restaurant (or canteen as it doesn't look like 3*** restaurant at all) serves disgusting food which is the same every day. I'd recommend to visit Subway which is cheaper and much more tasty than the food in the hotel. The air condition wasn't working as well as warm water was kinda privilege. After I report that there is only cold water in bathroom, receptionist said something like "yeah... many people probably shower now, try again later".

Despite the hotel, golden sands offer awesome nightlife :-) I will gladly come back to the city but definitely not to that sh**ty "hotel".

Room Tip: Rooms at 1st (ground) floor are the worst.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Stayed here in August 2010. Three-quarters of the rooms were populated by noisy cocky Polish teenagers. For seven consecutive mornings we had the same thing for breakfast. The food tasted horrible! Worst breakfast buffet ever! Staff speaks poor English and no one bothered to change our towels and bed sheets. Our room had four single beds even though we were a couple, plus the air conditioning was under powered for the size of the room and we couldn't really feel much coming out of the vents. We wouldn't be allowed to take a bath in the pool after sunset since they didn't have a lifeguard and the hotel was quite far from the beach. Best thing about this hotel: the weekly pool parties. Excepting the fact that at the bar there was no menu, the bartender was charging 5 Lv for each drink and he wouldn't let us choose the cocktail. It was at his own free choice, everybody was having the same blue-ish drink.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Bucharest, Romania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

Hey,

Well....I have a lot to say about this hotel....first I will definitely NOT come back to it, it was awful.
I think it was the furthest hotel from Golden Sands, it was at the 5th line of the hotels, and when going to the beach you had to walk a lot of stairs, which in the night there as no light, about 10 minutes to the beach.
We went to the water park (Aquapolis) which was pretty close to the hotel, also a 10 minute walk. It was 33 leva for adult and not very crowded, so for me this was good, because there were no lines at the slides.

The room was basic, a horrible sheet, dark coloured, probably to not see the stains, we had a small fridge, a small TV (which didn't work, and we actually didn't bother to go to reception, because we knew they wouldn't solve anything), hair dryer in the bathroom. The shower didn' t have a basin, so the water was straight on the floor, and the shower curtain was full of mold (I don't know if I spell it right). There was only soap, so shampoo or shower gel.
I think all rooms had a double bed, and one single more, probably they were designed for triple occupancy, although we wanted a double one.
The air conditioner was old, and there was no button for it, so it just started if the balcony door was closed at a temperature of 27-28 degrees, but it was ok in the room.
The housekeeper came daily only to make the beds and put more toilet paper, not changing the towels, which anyway we didn't use.
We had a room with pool view which was nice till our first night when we figure it out that the music stopped only at 12 a.m., so if you are with children, you should ask for a room with view on the other side, because it is very noisy.

We didn't go in the pool, because we could see what was written in it only in our last day, it was very dirty, but there some people one day playing polo....

We had half board, breakfast and dinner. Anyway I don't know why they provide, because all the food is disgusting..... and the same every day. When I say the same, it means nothing was changed, because there are some hotels were is not very "different" every day, but here it was the same each day.
At breakfast, there was a kind of eggs, one kind of salami, sausage, butter, marmelade, bread, tomatoes, cucumbers and I think two more things.... NO milk, cereals, fruits or whatever is missing....
To drink for breakfast and dinner was just a coloured water from a soda fountain, which was like a mouth wash, so we tried it once, and then drink only water.
There was a coffee machine, I only tried coffee with milk and it was ok for a machine standard.
For dinner there were also some disgusting dishes, a type of cookie, something sweet and melon and water melon. Guess what everybody was eating?! :)) Melon.... that's why I went to dinner, to eat melon, because anything else was uneatable. :)
A friend of my group had indisgestia, and also woke up at 4 a.m. to throw up.....
So when we figured it out that it's the same food, we stopped eating....
We even gave to a cat a sausage we could eat, and she didn't eat it....

About the hotel itself....it has a bar inside which it's not very tempting, I didn't see any people sitting there, there is an exchange office (probably you will get a better rate in Golden Sands), there was a souvenir shop (we didn't buy our souvenirs from here) and a small market (we bought only a bottle of water, it is cheaper if you go towards the beach, there are the ALDO supermarkets).

As I said earlier, we went to the water park..... first I didn't know where is the park, so I went to the reception to ask, the "smart" lady from there had a lost sight and said that she doesn't know, that there isn't one.....then she thought to ask her colleague which figure out that water park equals aqua park. Then when I asked her if it is close to the hotel, she said that probably on Sunday is closed. Anyway, I asked her something, she said something else, the park is opened dialy, including Sunday from 10 to 7 p.m. ( we arrived earlier, and has to wait to open).

I think the hotel has only one small parking lot for about 15 cars, but the guys from the hotel told us to park in front of the hotel, we put a paper inside the car that we are a guest of Dana Palace and we didn't have problems. Be careful where you park, because a year ago, we had a paid parking, but in our last day, we brought our car closer to the hotel, so that we don't carry our luggage and our car was picked up. I think it was about 55 leva to get it back, which was ok, because for example in Romania is about 200 euro.

The hotel was full of teenagers from Poland I think, and in the evening they were entertained by the animation team, one night the boys dressed in girls, and there was like a "miss" ellection, and one night I saw from my balcony that they were learning from a girl a latino dance.

Tip for exchange offices: if you can, change your money in the town, there are a lot of scams at the offices in all the bulgarian resorts.
I changed euro to leva at 1,94 at Metro in Russe, I came from Romania, in the resort you should find at 1,91 which is ok, but you need to be careful to get this rate.
The offices should have no commision, then some of them show only one rate which is actually for you to buy euro from them, but for them to buy from you it will be much smaller.
So be careful to have the two rated shown, to have no commision, and check the receipt before you sign, if the amount is ok.
Anyway, if you get fooled, there are small chances to get your money back, so pay attention.

Otherwise, enjoy your stay! :)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Bucuresti
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

Worst hotel ever. The food was horrible ! The hotel is far from the beach, We had a great room with pool view. The room were cleaned quite well but the sheets and towels were not changed during the whole week. The TV has only one channel in english, one in romanian, two in rusian and two in bulgarian. The food was awful, they don't have water and glasses.
The awful tripin my life.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Riga, Latvia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

Did not lika that hotel! I hated it. So noisily!!! There were living teenagers all the time - they were sooo noisy, drinking, singing, dancing and so on. And salaried personnel - did nothing about it. There was road near hotel - also was noise. Food was awful as well, the same food was all the time, and unsavoury! Salaried personnel - lazy, disobliging. Will not back again ever!

• Stayed July 2009
Wolverhampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

I have stayed in Dana Palace for two weeks in 2003, 2005 and 2006 and twice in 2004.
What do'es that say about the hotel? Fantastic.
I cant rate it after 2006 as have been to Bulgaria since but not stayed there, as went with a group of people for a mates birthday and got a cheaper hotel as only there for a week.
The staff at the time were brilliant, from the cleaners right up to the management.
The receptionists were wonderful, cleaners as friendly as they could be as don't know much English, room cleaned daily, fresh towels every other day, beds made daily and changed every 2nd/3rd day. Receptionistseven helped us write a letter in Bulgarian to the cleaners to thank them so much for what they had done for us.
Pool was spotless and nice and cold after being in the boiling hot sun.
What really made the holiday was the bar staff... Oggi, Dani, Crassy. I know none of them are there anymore but were there 3 years running.
To be honest I think the hotel has been taken over by new management as did notice a few little differences the last time I was there and you only get the green pool near the end of September when the resort starts to close for the winter.
I hope this review helps as I have always had a brilliant time here, with mates, girlfriend, who now is my fiancee, where else to get engaged but in Bulgaria?

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
Wrexham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2008

Believe all that you read about this hotel. It's food at breakfast is awful, the staff at reception just cannot be bothered and the pool was like something out of a horror film. Green slime growing around, paving slabs broken and just left. We were there a week and didn't see any one bother to tidy up around the pool area at all. People did sit out on the sun loungers because it was still quite hot but no-one dared enter the pool. The sliding doors as you enter the hotel didn't work so you had to manually open them each time. The bar in the lobby had no beer two nights running and it was only after I made the 'manager' sit down one morning and read the reviews on Trip Advisor that he said he would try and do something. I totally blame Thomas Cook who we booked with for not checking the standards at this hotel and I have duly written to complain to them. If they continue to send guests out to this hotel with the state it is in then of course they are not going to spend any money maintaining or improving it. This is the sort of hotel that if you had booked it direct over the Internet you would only have yourself to blame but when you have booked through a Agent who repeatedly told me not to take any notice of the reviews I had read on the Internet because they would not use this hotel if it was below standard. I am waiting their reply which I understand takes up to a month. Go to Bulgaria, even go to Golden Sands, there are some nice places there but just do not go to Dana Palace.

• Liked — Leaving it on the last day
  • Disliked — The green slime in and around the pool
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Dana Palace? Share your experiences!