“worst holiday ever” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #162 of 205 Hotels in Sunny Beach
LONDON
“worst holiday ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Where do I start, 1 bar open out of 5, pool bar during day (ran out of beer and no cocktails) only sports bar at night.
No available indoor pool to use, swim up pool bar can only be used if you pay extra for drink (we were all inclusive and not allowed) Food “the worst ever and cold”, rude surly staff, dead mouse under sofa in room, dirty bathroom, mould growing in bathroom, two electric sockets hanging out of the wall, not loose but hanging out ( child height I might add)
The only pool available to use had filters turned off ,was green & cloudy by day 3 of our week stay. Dead mouse also found in pool.
Seagull poo all over balcony, despite reporting, this was not cleaned, broken brickwork to our balcony ( Gym was a joke, odd weights and broken machines) , Air con turned of in whole hotel as staff said it wasn’t needed. ( an American was offered a fan if they could find one!)
Rude security staff, staff didnt smile, no please or thankyou,s,
Holes in floor in restaurant (health & safety issue, many trips seen in there) No teaspoons, cracked & dirty crockery, unable to get a cup of tea unless it was restaurant opening times, ( machine when they worked turned off on the dot)Raw burgers, fruit riddled with maggots, Plastic cups in the bar indoors at night ( understandable around the pool ) but at night time!!!
No live shows, no entertainment, just elderly women playing the same songs every night on a piano. No animations all day around the pool.
Afternoon pool side snacks were reheated lunchtime food, left out uncovered for flies to land on - also cold ,
No room facilities for tea and coffee.
Al a carte restaurant was a joke, 2 set menus written on A4 paper taped to bar consisting of “wait for it”
Menu 1 Nicoise salad, broccoli with cheese sauce, Pork then Cake! Or
Menu 2 Feta cheese and olive salad, Zucchini, something else I forget and yoghurt with strained honey! Yuk, I was then shown another A4 scrap of paper stating that if we ordered wine in this establishment (and I do use the term loosely) we had to pay for this.
Tried to change money at reception at 10 20 pm and told quite rudely no! Finished, we informed them that the sign said exchange open 8am until .until 10 30 pm and it was only 10 20pm - money was changed with a “sign here” response.
Expensive to use beach daily as we had to pay for sun beds and parasols so opted to use beach towel ( deposit required also) and lay on sand, this is not allowed unless you lay road side as the beach area near the sea edge is reserved for paying customers. Could not afford to do this every day!
There is not enough room to say everything I have to say but if they were to give Bulgaria an enema then Victoria palace is where they would insert the tube.
To top everything off our flight was delayed from 4.05 am and we had 3 hours to wait with no info given out as to whyafter ariving via transport at 1,30 am and leaving just after 9am , no water handed out and people in wheels chairs not even checked on, told nothing with no apologies either, quite disgusting service and could not wait to get back to good old cold, windy (polite) Blighty

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Telford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Well another bad holiday, don't get me wrong the hotel is a palace on the outside and in the lobby but the rooms leave a lot to be desired.
Have attached photos of the bathroom (quite shocking)
Hate to say it but some of the other reviews are true, the staff don't give a dam.
Had to find the doctor and was told he was by the spa entrance, went down and said to the lady on the spa reception is the doctor down here. she pointed to a door, we tried it and it was locked.
I turned around and said is he not here and she just laughed at me.

There are a lot of German and Russian in this resort and feel the English have not got established yet.
We also had existing sick up the bedroom wall.
The resort was friendly enough but would not return to the same hotel.
On a good note the maids did a good job.

Room Tip: Don't chose Room B503
Halifax, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Wonderful experience here the week comm 16 Sept 2013.. The room was clean & very well presented. Yoli was so friendly & took real pride in her work. The next part sounds critical but regardless I would definitely stay here again. The food was good & varied although potato choice was not an option. An inadequate server system did not keep food hot. The poor chefs got blamed for rubbish food which was not necessarily their fault. There was a microwave to warm your food & only one toaster for everyone to use. The chipped crockery should be replaced more regularly. The pool was plenty deep enough to swim in or shallow pods for paddling which should have suited everyone. Hearing critical comments annoyed me I wanted to ask "What makes us so superior that we expect every member of hotel staff in every other country to speak & understand English" Exercise a little patience - accept you are not at home (UK regs do not apply anywhere else - learn the native language or stay in Britain for your holidays!!! I found the staff really helpful as best as they were able. I loved my stay

Room Tip: I chose a higher room which was perfect
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

the problem with this hotel is it's all inclusive it could easily be the best hotel in sunny beach if they stopped it. the hotel is very impressive at first glance, fantastic pool area, spa second to none, our room nice size good beds clean and must have had best cleaner in hotel, huge balcony. bad points food not good mostly cold and inedible no choice more put in bin than stomachs only need a bit of common sense and breakfast could be cooked to order. Beautiful hotel just needs a bit of help off its sister hotel. I would stay again but on room only. It is in the best location another gripe you can only drink in 1 bar unless all inclusive so didn't even get to taste any drinks as it was never open.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking sea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

My mother and I stayed here half board from the 13th September. I don't know what people are expecting for a 3 star hotel, the place was clean, towels changed every day, balcony and bathroom cleaned, beds made, plenty of toilet roll ect, Bulgaria hotels are bad for food if you are picky, ( I have been skiing in bovorets a few times and even the 5 star hotel was the same food) people should look into these things before going to a different country. The staff were as helpful as they could be in understanding our language, we go to their home expecting for them to speak English, why don't we learn bulgarian or Spanish ect, we expect visitors to England to speak English. The hotel does need a little TLC but it's 12year old. If you want 5 star pay for the majestic next door, but be leave me the food will be just as bland and the same day in day out, I would advise you go S.C in Bulgaria as it's cheap to eat out and then you can choose your food. As for pool being knee high, Jesus that person must be a giant as I'm 5ft 10 and it came to my chest high (1.5m).

• Stayed September 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is far from a palace!!! Arrived on 16th September with boyfriend just after midnight all inclusive for a week! we was taken to our room on 3rd floor we was happy with our room it looked nice although it was just two single beds pushed together ! Bath is really high up so be careful when stepping out if floors slippy as you will slip right over! We woke up for are breakfast everything was freezing cold (we never got up for breakfast again It was that bad) we tried lunch and evening meal it was just the same FREEZING COLD had to heat it up ourselves in microwave the chicken nuggets you could smash a window with they where that hard! Most all inclusive food you can fall back on chips but sometimes they didn't even have chips out !! The chicken was pink and the burgers where raw meat inside!! There wasn't much choice and just seemed to be the same food day in day out. we did try it everyday though but found ourselves eating out Afterwards. The staff where so rude and ignorant and didn't seem to speak any English! I left my purse on coach on arrival and asked reception if they new how to get hold of my rep so I could inform him they didn't seem to have a clue what a rep was and just looked at me and shrugged their shoulders. At the pool bar me and my boyfriend where standing there waiting to get served, he just completely blanked us and served other people first. There was no entertainment just a women playing a piano in the lobby (reception) every night where every seemed to sit around as there was nothing else going on. Why would you want to sit in reception? So we found ourselves drinking out every night to! We mays well of went self catering in a 2 star hotel. The pool was shallow how can you swim in a pool that just about covers your knees ? It might look nice on but the hotel completely wrecked our holiday and we ended up spending a fortune! We paid for an all inclusive and we did not use it there wasn't even much choice on alcohol. We found ourselves sitting on balcony which faces the Mavel hotel listening to there music around the pool and watching there entertainment as there was nothing around our pool and the staff where so arrogant and never seemed to smile. The animation team... What animation team there was nothing !! I would not recommend this hotel to a tramp never mind a family. It's put me off Bulgaria and all inclusive hotels!! Disgraceful is an understatement !!

• Stayed September 2013
Burgas, Bulgaria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Hello to anyone who is thinking of visiting this hotel for his/her summer vacation. I have worked in the hotel this summer as a restaurant manager in the main restaurant. The five stars in front of the hotel are just a decoration, do not be fooled. Long story short, the staff is completely unexperienced, not only the waiters but the main thing is the kitchen. Several times I have seen how they get to the buffet unprepared dishesh for the main guest of the hotel. Even once a cheff from the UK complained to me how the chicken was raw and poisonous. However the Food & Beverage manager did not say a thing and they left the raw chicken on the buffet. If you were wondering what your morning bread would be I will tell you - it's the leftovers from the dinner before. Since Victoria Group is one of the largest groups accross Sunny Beach and Elenite and Bulgaria is generally a corrupted country they have a pack with the bulgarian department for restaurant inspections. A huge part of the staff do not have any document showing that they are mentally and physically able to do the job. This means that almost every gypsy who would like to make additional cash for the summer can be the one bringing your dish to the buffet. I was extremelly shocked by hygiene in the kitchen and also the staff is treated like beggars. Some of them have to live just under the main restaurant where the pigs and animals were chopped. TO ANYONE THINKING OF VISITING THIS HOTEL I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE TO CHANGE YOUR BOOKINGS ASAP.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Victoria Palace Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!