“great hotel shame about the food” 3 of 5 stars

Victoria Palace Hotel & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sunny Beach 8240, Bulgaria   |
Ranked #163 of 209 Hotels in Sunny Beach
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“great hotel shame about the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

the problem with this hotel is it's all inclusive it could easily be the best hotel in sunny beach if they stopped it. the hotel is very impressive at first glance, fantastic pool area, spa second to none, our room nice size good beds clean and must have had best cleaner in hotel, huge balcony. bad points food not good mostly cold and inedible no choice more put in bin than stomachs only need a bit of common sense and breakfast could be cooked to order. Beautiful hotel just needs a bit of help off its sister hotel. I would stay again but on room only. It is in the best location another gripe you can only drink in 1 bar unless all inclusive so didn't even get to taste any drinks as it was never open.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking sea
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

My mother and I stayed here half board from the 13th September. I don't know what people are expecting for a 3 star hotel, the place was clean, towels changed every day, balcony and bathroom cleaned, beds made, plenty of toilet roll ect, Bulgaria hotels are bad for food if you are picky, ( I have been skiing in bovorets a few times and even the 5 star hotel was the same food) people should look into these things before going to a different country. The staff were as helpful as they could be in understanding our language, we go to their home expecting for them to speak English, why don't we learn bulgarian or Spanish ect, we expect visitors to England to speak English. The hotel does need a little TLC but it's 12year old. If you want 5 star pay for the majestic next door, but be leave me the food will be just as bland and the same day in day out, I would advise you go S.C in Bulgaria as it's cheap to eat out and then you can choose your food. As for pool being knee high, Jesus that person must be a giant as I'm 5ft 10 and it came to my chest high (1.5m).

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Hotel is far from a palace!!! Arrived on 16th September with boyfriend just after midnight all inclusive for a week! we was taken to our room on 3rd floor we was happy with our room it looked nice although it was just two single beds pushed together ! Bath is really high up so be careful when stepping out if floors slippy as you will slip right over! We woke up for are breakfast everything was freezing cold (we never got up for breakfast again It was that bad) we tried lunch and evening meal it was just the same FREEZING COLD had to heat it up ourselves in microwave the chicken nuggets you could smash a window with they where that hard! Most all inclusive food you can fall back on chips but sometimes they didn't even have chips out !! The chicken was pink and the burgers where raw meat inside!! There wasn't much choice and just seemed to be the same food day in day out. we did try it everyday though but found ourselves eating out Afterwards. The staff where so rude and ignorant and didn't seem to speak any English! I left my purse on coach on arrival and asked reception if they new how to get hold of my rep so I could inform him they didn't seem to have a clue what a rep was and just looked at me and shrugged their shoulders. At the pool bar me and my boyfriend where standing there waiting to get served, he just completely blanked us and served other people first. There was no entertainment just a women playing a piano in the lobby (reception) every night where every seemed to sit around as there was nothing else going on. Why would you want to sit in reception? So we found ourselves drinking out every night to! We mays well of went self catering in a 2 star hotel. The pool was shallow how can you swim in a pool that just about covers your knees ? It might look nice on but the hotel completely wrecked our holiday and we ended up spending a fortune! We paid for an all inclusive and we did not use it there wasn't even much choice on alcohol. We found ourselves sitting on balcony which faces the Mavel hotel listening to there music around the pool and watching there entertainment as there was nothing around our pool and the staff where so arrogant and never seemed to smile. The animation team... What animation team there was nothing !! I would not recommend this hotel to a tramp never mind a family. It's put me off Bulgaria and all inclusive hotels!! Disgraceful is an understatement !!

Burgas, Bulgaria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Hello to anyone who is thinking of visiting this hotel for his/her summer vacation. I have worked in the hotel this summer as a restaurant manager in the main restaurant. The five stars in front of the hotel are just a decoration, do not be fooled. Long story short, the staff is completely unexperienced, not only the waiters but the main thing is the kitchen. Several times I have seen how they get to the buffet unprepared dishesh for the main guest of the hotel. Even once a cheff from the UK complained to me how the chicken was raw and poisonous. However the Food & Beverage manager did not say a thing and they left the raw chicken on the buffet. If you were wondering what your morning bread would be I will tell you - it's the leftovers from the dinner before. Since Victoria Group is one of the largest groups accross Sunny Beach and Elenite and Bulgaria is generally a corrupted country they have a pack with the bulgarian department for restaurant inspections. A huge part of the staff do not have any document showing that they are mentally and physically able to do the job. This means that almost every gypsy who would like to make additional cash for the summer can be the one bringing your dish to the buffet. I was extremelly shocked by hygiene in the kitchen and also the staff is treated like beggars. Some of them have to live just under the main restaurant where the pigs and animals were chopped. TO ANYONE THINKING OF VISITING THIS HOTEL I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE TO CHANGE YOUR BOOKINGS ASAP.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Luton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed at the Victoria Palace for 10 days 9th to 19th September 2013. The room was not cleaned, cleaners would come in to make up the bed. Even though there was a sign to let guests know that if towels were left on the sun loungers for more than an hour they would be removed this was not enforced. In 10 days we were there we only got a sun lounger once and that was because the morning was very overcast and chilly. If you go on the beach and use a lounger there is no concession for guests, 8lev per day for a lounger and 8lev for an umberella. Staff not helpful at all, I got the feeling guests are a hinderace. Went half board (thankfully) breakfast very limited, if you get down after 8am there is a wait for a cup for coffee, always check the cups as they are not always clean, went into dinner only one evening, the food was like slop but there were burgers on the go, having waited over 10 mins for a burger I went to get some chips (they were cold) went back to the table to have dinner and even though the burgers were burnt on the outside they were raw inside. Another evening out for dinner. The rooms are large but are getting very dated, the bathroom had a separate shower and bath, his and hers sinks. The shower waste pipe needed unblocking as when you took a shower the tray filled up with water, the bath had a glass shower screen that coudn't be moved so you had to be careful getting in an out of the bath, one of the sinks like the shower was blocked and when we arrived the toilet seat had been broken and needed replacing. I would go back to Bulgaria again, just not to the Victoria Palace, customer service is non existant, as is the indoor pool and the air conditioning.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

My self And my boyfriend stayed at the Victoria palace from the 13th September for 1 week and I do not understand all the complaints. On arrival at 5am staff were ready to take our bags to our rooms. The hotel is by far the best on sunny beach. Hotel is spotless for a foreign country. Alls I have bad to say is the balcony could of done with a lick of paint. We went half board and are very fussy eaters. The food at breakfast and dinner is okay. There is plenty to choose from. We did eat out a lot but again due to our own tastes. If your in a foreign country and want English food then you should expect to eat out!!! The pool is busy of a morning but this is the same at every hotel in every country I don't see what there is to moan about. Staff are friendly and our maid was brilliant could of left anything in the room and it would of been safe. Sunny beach is busy of an evening with promotors trying to get you into their bars which is abit of a let down. There are plenty of lovely beach bars with brilliant services. Heaters and blankets of an evening as it does get pretty cold. Please do not be put off by the reviews... Beautiful hotel

Dundee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Beautiful from front and rear but less so inside. Rooms were spacious with a lovely sea view. Being on the second floor it was very noisy at night. Almost impossible to get a hot shower around 5 to 7 pm. We were bed and breakfast only. The breakfasts were ok but uninspiring. Plenty of good restaurants/steakbars in the immediate vicinity. Same goes for money exchange as the hotel rates were terrible.Overall, we loved Sunny Beach but would be unlikely to return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor to avoid the noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Victoria Palace Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!