“Not the best, but adequate” 2 of 5 stars

Diamond Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   St Vlas-Nessebar bay area, Sunny Beach 8256, Bulgaria   |
Ranked #136 of 205 Hotels in Sunny Beach
Northants
“Not the best, but adequate”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Stayed here with a friend in September. Read the reviews prior to staying so we were prepared for the worst. The reviews turned out to give a fairly accurate report on the hotel.

Overall the hotel was clean and tidy. Staff were a complete mixed bag, Receptionists very friendly and helpful, restaurant and bar staff miserable, sullen and openly complaining about they hated the hotel and the people staying.

All inclusive bar is tiny, shuts at 11pm, bang on... We were refused service even after queuing for 15 minutes. Went to the shop over the road and bought drinks there to continue the evening!

Room was good size, clean and comfortable. No baths provided, just a shower room, but this was adequate for our needs.

Food was horrendous. As per other reviews, fish fingers served every meal. Usually an unidentifiable meat in a watery sauce, and the rest of the buffet equally unappealing. I ate breakfast once and never again. Only had one decent meal in 7 days, and that was freshly cooked pizza, so not a challenging dish. Food in the bars and restaurants locally provided great value and quality though.

Entertainment - the ' hotel rep' was a great guy, organised water polo first two days we were there, after that when we asked him when was the next game, he decided he couldn't be bothered (his words). More interested in taking groups out at night to the same bars!

Do not spend money on hotel wifi as the signal is atrocious

MAJOR NEGATIVE - staff here steal peoples property. Out of the people we met, one lady had her phone stolen from the table she was sat at, the worse case was one of the guys we met had his phone stolen in the lobby bar. On his late day, Victor, who it was believed stole it, came and offered the phone back for 100 lev!!!! When his offer was refused, he returned the SIM card, but said he was keeping the phone!! This was reported to most hotel staff, however the response was 'he does that, but everyone is scared of him!!!'

OVERALL - If you are looking for a fun holiday, Hotel Diamond is fine, if you are looking for a relaxing break, it is not! Would I return, probably not, but I don't think I would go back to Sunny Beach, and if I did, would probably book a sea front hotel next time.

Room Tip: Try to get one facing the pool as they seem to be quieter
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

after reading all the reviewa i was not looking forward to staying at this hotel at all, even reviews about the holiday company imperial travel. i need not have worried at all everything went great at airports and transfers, the hotel it was ok rooms cleaned every day very friendly maid we were in room 593 my daughter and her hubby in 599, cllean towels and beds made, very spacious rooms, ok they a little bit lived in but clean. food better than we thought (you must keep an open mind on what to expect when you go all inclusive in places abroad) we were only there for 7 nights, we like to get out and about to see the place so we didnt dine much in the evening at the hotel (not because the food was awful) bulgarians most very helpful and friendly but i understand a comment on a review i read i think it is just their way, we had no probs what so ever and will return. lot of young russians and germans wanting to party again no real prob just a bit of noise, only one bar for all inclusive no prob, cocktail bar large beer and a hot choc less than £2, word of warning we went 23/09/13 bars and restaurants started closing for the season it was nearly a ghost town the day we returned.we could by a large beer for less than 1 lev my son in law couldnt get over how cheep it all was even dining out.

Room Tip: rooms at the back bit more quiet, rooms by the pool music can be heard but they so have a notice up...
Gainsborough, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

we stayed at this hotel for 14 nights on arrival which was 12.15am was booked in and yes did keep passport but got them back next morning. my husband and i enjoyed are stay and have a lovely maid, the room was nice and clean clean towels everyday and beds maked every day as well. the food was not to bad we are people that will try different foods. the only complain i have there is NO ENTERTAINMENT. I would say that this hotel is not for little children . we would stay at this hotel again

Coventry, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

-As other reviews nowhere near 4* so if you expect a 4* don't book-

*Arrival and Room*
-Got to hotel at midnight, passports taken and was taken to room, asked if they kept them as the lady didn't say, and they advised they did, which was fine, our concern was when we went to reception once and passports were spread out across the reception making us feel it was slightly unsafe. So looked at room, and one wall had faeces on it, shower curtain was mouldy and dirty and I washed it before use, no remote control. Next day it was stolen from another guests room for us. Fridge never worked, mechanic came in, and blamed us for testing it on another plug, and left advising it was fixed without checking, would have been handy to keep our water and snacks in due to the heat, and fact its not actually all inclusive as you have gaps in the day, and don't always want to eat 12-2, so you then wait for anything other than cake until 6-8.30. Fridge would have been ideal to keep breads and cheese for snacking.Room was opposite main road, and underneath bars, so most nights didn't get more than few hours sleep as you could hear horses, cars, vans, shouting, thudding same music, late night/early maintenance/which is fine but after day 6 I did get very tired and we had a sleep whilst it was quiet in the day. Beds weren't made, they did give a sheet for each bed, and then put the cover on top, but I cleaned the sink before use, not a good level of cleaning or hygiene for me, i didn't pay for hostel, or to clean, I paid for a hotel as a break so these things were done. Did find beds comfortable, just do not accidentally pull off the sheets as the mattresses were filthy.

*All Inclusive*
They make it clear they dont want to be all inclusive, but it is advertised that way as 4* all inclusive so that is just to get the all inclusive guests to pay and stay I feel. Not enough room for guests to eat. One time people were queuing to find tables, one night people were sitting on pool recliners, chairs, anywhere there was space, rush and go atmosphere, we often sat in the pool bar area outdoor with mismatched chairs, and we made jokes of it and enjoyed it, but it's not funny when you have been sold 4*. Only one all inclusive bar, so often long queues, was only outdoor by pool, so people walking around everywhere at meal times, but then was moved into dining room after few days of our holiday, we were told the hotel doesn't own the two bars in the hotel.

Lunchtimes I enjoyed, as it was quiet so could actually get nice dining experience, and eat, and get a drink and relax. Also the food was fresher and hotter with more choice, sometimes at night things would run out, and get changed, or be cold, or reheated, evening lots of greasy chicken, unseasoned food, and not always as nice. Breakfast was the worst I have experienced. I did it twice out of 7 days. Partner tried cold beans, first day I tried the eggs and too cold and not properly cooked, another day had a cold grey boiled egg, and then there was bread, cheese, and ham, one day thought it was because we went down last half an hour, but couldn't see much difference second time. Though the chef does cook things I didn't bother with queue, I queued for enough things. And I found really nice cafe's that do cheap and tasty breakfasts, and a local bakery we used to get nice Bulgarian pastries, so luckily fantastic breakfasts outside the hotel. This hotel relies on local businesses and doesn't have much to offer itself.

*There was always something to eat, pizza was nice, chips, some kind of vegetable/salad/something to drink so you can always eat, sometimes a nice change like ravioli, nice meatballs, but often run out, and in general it gets dull and boring, and you don't want to walk around and fight for tables every meal, and plates, and queue all the time, fine if you don't sell it as 4* but the other 4*'s I have been to-much fresher, get a service, more choice, don't sell it at 4* and people won't expect it.

*Didn't see any entertainment advertised, other than the keyboard player in the evening meal and bar time. Activities were advertised for pool area but didn't happen. Might have been because pool was very cold for most people, I did have a quick swim, but couldn't stay in long, never many people in there, but was clean and nice area to sit by, this and afternoon meal stops it being a 1 review. Coffee machine was nice, but again nothing the hotel does itself. Cakes were nice, but a waiter gets them out a box, onto plate and people rush and grab them. All inclusive drinks were nice but as your just drinking them in the pool area or where you eat we often went out and found fantastic bands and music in local pubs, great measures, cocktails, nice atmosphere, great nightlife, nearly everything I loved about Bulgaria was not in the hotel. Great restaurants as well!

*Some staff were friendly, others not, some took your plates showing you they didn't want to be there, and served with a frown, one nice guy making balloons for children, and a lady always smiling and saying hello, one bar lady when I went to the bar pointed at beers already poured on the side, and didn't even speak.

*Very good location saves this hotel, as you are a walk away from the beach, buses, boat trip, shops and nice bars etc.*

*I have stayed at B and B's, festivals, and hostels throughout Europe, and like partying and late nights so I am not fussy, and didn't expect much, but if Bulgaria had not have been so lovely for food and drink and cheap so we could spend a lot of time out we would have struggled in this hotel.

*Bulgaria is a fantastic sunny holiday resort, and looking to go back, but would not give this hotel another thought or penny when booking. I have had cleaner hostels, better sleep at festivals, and this was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. Spoke to other guests who were as unimpressed as I was, and other reviews say many similar things, so it cannot just be a few people being fussy.

Room Tip: Best to avoid rooms facing the main road if possible, ask for pool side view room, as they seem the...
Grays Thurrock, null, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Upon arrival at the hotel at 2am after a very long day/flight we was checked into our room which was spacious and clean yet our promised double bed was in fact two single beds (of different heights i might add) pushed together with three of the slimmest pillows you could imagine for the two of us. Then on further inspection of the room it appeared we had no toilet paper at all so i had to go to reception to ask for some which could barely be classed as toilet paper, our minibar was an empty fridge that was barely cold and the shower was clearly only designed for people over 6ft tall and with me being only 5ft 4 this became rather awkward as to move the shower head at all caused you to flood the whole bathroom. Also as we was on the third floor facing the pool all you could hear all night was the thump thump of the bar/cafe beneath us which continued 24/7.

Upon getting up to meet our rep the following morning breakfast was a disaster. Having to queue 20 minutes to use a toaster that only warmed ya bread up and a coffee machine that served luke warm slop. The all inclusive bar didnt open until 11am so if you missed breakfast you couldnt even use the machines to get a cuppa as i was rudely told by a member of staff. The bar had no diet drinks at all and only had one member of staff ever present. As smokers myself and my partner are conscious of non smokers so we would place ourselves at the back of the inclusive area to smoke but on a number of occasions we were told to move so that a gathering of members of staff could sit there (when there was clearly other space for them) also there was hardly any ashtrays so in the end i settled to having to fill a cup up with some water to use that. THe food at lunch and dinner was all the same barely edible stuff. cold chips pasta sausages etc. One occasion we had hot onion rings for dinner and they were then put out cold the next day for lunch which made me question what else were they recycling???
The hotel had no sort of entertainment other than an oap murdering all the classics while you ate you dinner and although there was a spa and gym they were both of rather poor standard.
The pool was FREEZING all the time as the positioning on the hotel meant you only really had sunshine half the day, i also never saw the pool being cleaned.

However location was perfect not too close to the main plaza that it was noisy but close enough that after a few drinks in town you could find ya way back easy enough.

Overall I would return to sunny beach however i would never again stay at the diamond.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel!!!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband, 2 children ages 12 & 16 & myself stayed here for 7 nights all incl. We arrived here at around 2am on the Sat morning & check in was straight forwards. They do keep your passports but we didn't mind that as it saved us paying for a safety deposit box for the week to store them in. Our room was a 1 bedroom apartment on the 3rd floor with a fab balcony overlooking the pool. The room was spotless but basic(Butlins Gold apartment)but it suited our needs. The beds were all made with fresh clean sheets & we were thrilled to find we had a jacuzzi bath & shower (being a woman we prefer a bath). We were so worried about staying here after changing from the Meridian Hotel because this place had some terrible reviews so we were expecting a right s***hole basically but we were all pleasantly surprised. The all inclusive food was edible but not really to my tastes in the beginning of our stay but I soon started to be a little more adventurous & did try some local cuisine which I must admit, I did enjoy. I stuck with toast in the mornings because I did not like the look of their scrambled eggs & Bacon (the Bacon is actually a smoked ham & the scrambled eggs were made with lots of butter). The drinks here are VERY strong lol. The first night I was very drunk & suffered for it on the Sun haha but the cocktails in the cocktail bar were buy 2 for 7 levs so I drank quite a few of those & Omg they were lush but once again, very strong lol. We will definitely stay here again. Do NOT listen to all the bad reviews, give it a try because like us you might be pleasantly surprised. The hotel staff were great, the barmen lovely & it has its own shop, money exchange, hair salon, 3 bars, restaurant, casino & the health spa & gym. What more do you want & the location is perfect for the main strip & the beach & its nearly all open 24 hours.

• Stayed September 2013
Warrington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

on arrival at 1pm we were told check in was at 2pm we said fine can we get lunch while we wait we were told no that all inclusive meals begin at 6pm . I explained my partner was diabetic and needed to eat and we had payed for all inclusive after wasting my time talking I was told to go to the shop or café and buy something .at 2pm we checked in and asked again about food and drinks we were told there was tea and coffee and snack at 4pm . we got our room which was basic but clean and went to find the snacks . in the restraunt we were shown 1 coffee machine which was for the entire hotel and 1 plate with very dry cake on it that was it till 6pm . the restraunt is not big enough for the hotel leaving people without a table or a free for all for the food . lunch and evening meals are the same poor quality chicken fatty diced pork and under cooked fish salad frozen chips hot dog sausage and watery pasta you can have omelette and pizza with your evening meal every day breakfast is probably the best meal of the day toast when you have qued for the toaster and for the coffee and for a fried egg basicly you spend your entire meal time in a quing for luck warm food that tastes vile. the all inclusive bar is so small 2 beer pumps 1 bottle of red and 1 bottle of white wine 1 vodka 1 gin 1 golden rum 1 whiskey 1 brandy and 1 crème de month soft drinks but no diet drinks for my hubby who is diabetic only water we were told he would have to buy his own .entertainment is an oap on a keyboard . the view from our balcony in the day was a back street at night it was prostitutes drug deals and fights also the smell from the skip with no lid that was full of food was unpleasant to say the least although the local cats were lovin it .the only polite staff were the cleaners and 1 of the reception staff .to change rooms there is a charge . overall we need a holiday to get over the jail sentence we have just served.

Room Tip: there is none
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Diamond Hotel? Share your experiences!