“Used to be a great hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Grand Victoria Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Resort Sunny Beach, Sunny Beach 8240, Bulgaria   |
Ranked #44 of 209 Hotels in Sunny Beach
Stockholm, Sweden
“Used to be a great hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Wont be staying there again. Gone downhill. The room was really nice and tidy. Staff in the reception was nice. Staff in the pool bar was not too amused over being disturbed by customers. What ever you do, don't have any food from the snack bar. Poor hygiene and the food didn't get cooked properly. The all inc food was not too bad, but it was mainly the same food every other day. Ate out after the third day. Ivo, the waiter was really lovely, just like the staff used to be at Grand Victoria. If you want a sunbed you need to be down at the pool before 8.

• Stayed July 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Stirling, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stayed here last year with some friends and we were all in our early 20s. The hotel looks fantastic, lovely rooms, central position to the beach and nice pool area. However, that's the only good things about it. I am not a fussy eater and have been on many all-inclusives in the past some great some not so. This was by far the worst. There was not enough room or food for all the guests and therefore selection was just a few trays of whatever they had rustled up, The food was cold and often undercooked. I was shocked to find that there was a microwave situated to solve this problem and when I complained I was told to use it. Not exactly what I had in mind for a 5 star hotel. The hotel is quite grand inside. However, as an all-inclusive guest I felt like a second rate customer. A lot of the bars inside looked really nice. However, you were not allowed to use these unless you paid for them. To me and my friends this was a joke since they were empty and the all-inclusive bar was always packed and you had to que quite a bit for drinks to then be told that they had ran out of the majority of spirits. I don't know how many times I complained to reception about towels not being changed. I eventually spoke to the Thomas Cook rep who was the most patronising woman I have ever met and was just down right rude. I explained about the food but apparently Bulgarians like eating undercooked chicken, me and my friends disagreed since we spent have the holiday with dodgy stomachs. Overall, the hotel is in a good location, we went in September and I could imagine how busy the place would be in peak summer. I would avoid Bulgaria in the future. The hotel looks nice and will charm you in, but once they have your money they are not interested. I did complain to Thomas Cook when I got back home and I did receive a decent refund though.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Paisley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

First of all ... We were so apprehensive about our trip to Bulgaria , we had booked into the " Victoria palace " originally but as they didn't do all inclusive for a studio we were rebooked into the grand , all we can say is thank god !! This hotel was fantastic from the room to the maid service everyday new sheets , towels , and left the room spotless . The food was amazing too a wide variety for everyone , breakfast lunch and dinner was great not to mention the incredible selection of meats fruit and of course the deserts , the bar food beside the pool was great always fresh made and icecream on tap for the kids , the pool was ok but if you are up early enough you can enjoy it all day and the staff were more than happy to help you we got free bottles of red wine and met quite a few characters along the way , the strip itself is jumping and the things you can buy are fantastic , this place is unique and has a huge personality , we were surprised one night with a huge georgous chocolate cake and a bottle of champagne on return from a night out as they knew it was our honeymoon they were lovely , we did a couple of excursions that was brilliant a night in khans tent where the britains got talent kind of theme was spectacular and a beautiful view , also a romantic boat trip round the island sealed the holiday for us , we will be returning to this hotel next year with our family this time as the kids would have a ball here and we can't wait ! One of the waiters even came into the hotel at 3am to say goodbye to us . Do NOT read reviews and be put off cause we were . Go and make up your own mind ! But we were not disappointed .

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

The Grand Victoria Hotel as such is OK, with decent rooms, well situated along the strand promenade in central Sunny Beach. The issue is that the service is not up to the hotel standard, it's more of a "Hotel factory" trying to squeech out as much money as possible out of as many guests as possible during the short sun season in Bulgaria. All employees tries to rid you of tour hard earned savings, inventing fees for everything incl madrasses, internet, and you name it.
Be quick in the morning and get up at 7 to "book" one of the sun chairs at the pool, half an hour later they are all reserved with towels and you cannot use the pool throughout the day.
Outside the hotel there are very noisy German disco bars with energetic german rap music playing all day and all night (great for you who enjoy loud music at the pool-side all day). The pool itself has its floor covered by some kind of hairy dust, probably a remnant from the skin of lots of guests during theason (and the season before?).
There are also lots of exchange offices trying to rip you of your euros at non-advertized rates.
I would rather pay some extra up-front than being "used as an ATM by non-smiling bulgarians all vacation".

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Porto, Porto, Portugal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

If you want to relax during your holidays this is the worst place to do it! The hotel is not that big, the food isn't very good and doesn't have enough variety. The service is awful and the staff is sometimes impolite. The beach in front of the hotel is too small, dirty and gets too crowded. Also the bars in front of the hotel are too noisy even during the day.
I don't recommend Sunny Beach at all (unless you want to go out and get drunk every single night and be surrounded by "Jersey Shore" people) and the experience of the hotel didn't make it better at all!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Pitesti, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

I stayed in this hotel in an all inclusive regim: the rooms are nice, clean and those with park view are extremely quiet. The food was excellent: a lot of variety, every time at least 2 types of meat, five or six type of salads; quality food, everything was fresh and well cooked. The pool snacks and the deserts, also very good. The pool was seamed small, but not al all crowed. The hotel is literally across the street from the beach, so, if you don't mind the noise all night, the sea view rooms are not a problem, but if you want your nights quiet, just ask a park view room.

Room Tip: the park view rooms are very quiet
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Ely, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

All inclusive option focussed upon 1 restaurant - the food was fine with some variety for each sitting. The pool bar snack food was excellent and service quite quick. The Vienna pool bar which provides "desserts" was also very good. 90% of the staff were very nice and helpful - as long as you were polite and respectful towards them. Sea View rooms have a lovely view, howver as you are virtually on the beach front - that's where the noise is at night. It is a "Touristy" resort, so expect toursisty noises!! We were the only British family there - which I don't personally have a problem with. The preponderance of guests were German with a number of scndanavians and surprisingly few russians. Hence there was no anti-social behaviour that I saw. I would go again! My wife rated it as a just above average 4 star hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Grand Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!