“Very Average!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Amelia

You added Hotel Amelia to your Saves list
Hotel Amelia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Drujba Street 1, Albena 9620, Bulgaria (Formerly Drujba Hotel (Albena - VAR))   |
Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Albena
“Very Average!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Not long returned from the Hotel Amelia. We stayed at the hotel 20/07/2013-27/07/2013. Reviews were excellent so we thought we would book here as it had the better reviews compared to others hotels in our budget. Transfer time was about 30-40 minutes from Varna. As soon as we got off the coach we were greeted by a porter who wouldn't take no for an answer to wheel our cases to the reception. We thanked him at reception and he waited around for a tip (baring in mind we had just arrived so only had larger notes) we felt a little uncomfortable. He managed to get a large tip out of us. We were then checked in and given our keys to our room. Another porter then came along to wheel our cases up to our room on the 5th floor, he again wouldn't leave without a tip. We persuaded him that when we got some smaller change we would pass him a tip. As arranged we got some change and my partner saw him downstairs and went to pass him the money. The porter was panicked and said for him to give it him later. (obviously they are not meant to accept tips).He came and knocked on our room 5 minutes later for it. The hotel lobby was very impressive as it has not long been renovated, as for the 3* rooms they are very dated. There was a horrible smell coming from our toilet so we had to leave the lid closed all the time, it also leaked all over the floor after each flush. We had a tv which was no use as it was all in German or bulgarian. Air conditioning was fab though. Fresh towels everyday which was nice. Albena is a beautiful place but there is very little to do. We spoke to one other english person all week and they were in a different hotel. You will be lucky to find another english family there, they are like gold dust. Beach was lovely. Disappointed that the amelia has no pool though but you can pay to go in other peoples pools. Costs about 16 levs to use someone elses pool for the day. You get free sunbeds and umbrellas down the beach though but make sure you use the right ones. You can hire matresses for 2 levs each which are very worth it for the day ;D .The sea was very refreshing and clean. Drinks and food are very cheap. Tex mex was gorgeous. The food in the hotel wasnt very good. There was a girl behind the bar called petya who was absolutely lovely and spoke fantastic english. Overall we were quite bored by the end of the holiday and were happy to return home. We will not be returning to Albena :-/

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We have just spent a week at Hotel Amelia in Albena and found it to be a fantastic hotel. Our room was comfortable with a beautiful sea view and balcony. The hotel Manager,
Miss Poly Boeva is an extremely proficient manager, her staff are efficient, kind and welcoming, nothing is too much trouble. The Bar and restaurant are in my opinion 5*. I am looking forward to my next visit and am delighted to discover such a wonderful place to relax and enjoy the ambience of Bulgaria.

Room Tip: Our request was met for a high room with sea view proving to be an ideal choice as this side of the...
Hartlepool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I've been visiting this hotel for the past 24 years. It's previous name (before the recent renovation) was The Drujba. In all of my visits, the management and staff have been nothing short of excellent. They are kind, friendly and always willing to help. The renovation means that the hotel offers both 5 star and 3 star service. My budget means that I have to take the 3 star option - but in my view - the value this gives makes it seem like a 5 star booking. My last visit was before the official re-opening date (which was the 5th July) - and I must admit that the maid service during this period was not up to its usually impeccable standard. But as a long-standing visitor, I had no qualms about this as I fully accepted that very business has teething problems after a major renovation. The only thing that I would like to see changed at The Amelia is the chopping down of the trees at the back of the complex. As far as I'm aware, they are not part of a conservation plan and they don't really add anything to the experience of your stay there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

As we had never been to Bulgaria before and heard mixed reviews about the hotels, we were some what apprehensive, but all that disappeared as we checked into the Hotel Amelia.
This hotel has recently gone under some major refurbishment work and now is split between a 3 star hotel one side and 4 star the other (above reception on the front where the bulk of the refurb work has been done) .
We were allocated a room in the "3 star" part and although the room was a bit tired it suited our needs and everything worked as it should. We were told by the very friendly and courteous staff that all booking made through tour companies such as ours, Balkan Holidays are all allocated in the 3 star part. If you book direct then you can pay to stay in the 4 star part. I had a look in these rooms a they are very impressive and would not look out of place anywhere in the world and I was quoted 150 leva to stay there a night B+B, which I would gladly pay.
Our 3 star room on the 5th floor just gave us a sea view, from a balcony which was just big enough to sit out on(2 chairs & table), came with a king sized bed (extremely comfortable had a good nights sleep), tv, just enough storage space and room safe (30 leva per week).
No fridge or hair dryer, but the fridge can be hired per week at 30 leva, we didn't bother with it,can't remember how much to hire hairdryer.
Our towels were changed daily, whether that was because we left 1 leva tip, I don't know, and bed was made up every day and changed once.
A little quirk of the rooms we got to like was the musical chimes as you switched the air con on/off and the tv...and the room phones are the same not the same ringtones as here...certainly made us smile.
Breakfast was plentiful, freshley cooked and very satisfying, not much in the way of english breakfast fare, but still enough variety to enjoy.
The majority of clients in this hotel and albena were predominantly east european where the brits made up about 5% of the population. We found them all to be very polite,friendly and not the so called pushy "russians" that they have been made out to be. The bulgarians are are very friendly and chatty people, ok not many speak good english but we managed to understand each other.
There's no pool, but the hotel is in a great location on the main strip for restaurants/shopping/supermarkets.If you go with your eyes open to this hotel, and not expect the ritz then you will have a very good time, with the fantastic beach literally 50 metres away to lay on with the courtesy sunbeds and parasol (beach kaliopa 107 is amelias part)...there is also a free beach library which is new for 2013

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Me and my family have been to this hotel many times and can find nothing wrong with the staff or hotel.The manageress ms poly boeva,was very friendly and always made time to come and talk to my family,nothing was ever a problem for her.my children liked the hotel as the staff were very friendly. And always had time for them .the rooms were very clean and we'll looked after.the only criticism I have is out the back of the hotel there is very big trees which block the sunlight of the lower rooms,if you are going to this hotel please try and get higher rooms as the view is great from there... will definately go back to this hotel in albena,we made a lot of friends here with staff :-) :-) :-)

Room Tip: Book higher floors
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Me and my mum are just back from staying in the Hotel Amelia, my mum and dad had been to this hotel many times before and it has now been renovated. It looks lovely and the reception area is nice, air conditioned, the bar in the reception is nice, a few of the prices are a little higher and they don't stock any Bulgarian spirits on exported. All the bar staff are lovely, in particular the girl call Petia who speaks very good English. The Staff on the reception don't speak to the best English but are very polite and happy. The rooms we stayed in were in the old part of the hotel, they were basic but the Air con was fantastic! The complaint we had was the maid service was terrible, I only had my towels changed about twice over the 2 weeks, and lucky if my bedding was changed more than once, this was the first time in nearly 2 years my mum has been going to Bulgaria that she hasn't left a tip for the maid. The hotel seem to make a total divide between the old part of the hotel and the new part, The people in the new rooms seem to get looked after a lot more than us. so overall we like the hotel apart from the maid service which was really bad. The bar on the left hand side of the Hotel, Ti amo is lovely, the landlord and landlady (Rosie & Ivan) a Bulgarian couple are lovely, the food is fantastic and the drinks are a good price, they also own the Irish bar called the Shamrock. Defo recommend both of these bars. If we do return to Albena next year we would like to stay in the Amelia but hopefully the service will be better and not feel like there is a divide between the old part and new part!

Room Tip: ask for a room on a high floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Staffordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed at htis hotel in July 2013 on a late deal with Balkan Holidays, B&B with the option to upgrade to half board. It is much cheaper to upgrade if you do it when making your booking.
Having stayed in Albena several times, I knew it was centrally located and a bit dated, but it suited my needs.
When I arrived I was stunned to find it has been renovated and now has a lovely new reception area and dining room, and even at full price it is impressive now.
I had been allocated a room with sea view, but not given one, so I asked for one. The manageress told me they don't have sea view rooms, but as the rear faces the sea I guessed they must have some. Be persistant - they do have sea view rooms although most are obscured by trees! I think they seem to have a problem distinguishing between a room on sea front (ie. on the beach) and a sea view room.
A lovely hotel where I would stay again and reccomend. Air conditioned recption and coffee bar with scrumptious deserts. and a light airy indoor and outdoor buffet style dining room. Loads of fresh fruit & salad.
The down side?
The mangeress was initailly was very abrupt when I requested the room with the sea view. She told me she was very busy and had other guests to attend. (Not until this one is happy she doesn't!).
A couple of the reception staff struggle a bit with understanding English, although they do have one who is very good at understanding and speaking English.
No pool, although there are 2 free sunbeds with parasol per room on the beach included in the price. I was aout and about a lot so it didn't worry me too much, but may be a problem for those with children.
The food is OK but very repetative if you are staying for 2 weeks or more. There are so many places to eat it may not be worth going half board for more than a week.
I didn't get my bed made for the first 3 days and had to ask. Towels changed once during the week.
If the height of some trees could be reduced, they would have a lot of lovely sea view rooms.

Room Tip: If you have been allocated sea view choose a higher floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Amelia? Share your experiences!