“Last minute change of plan” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Borjana
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Albena 9620, Bulgaria   |
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Albena
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Last minute change of plan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We booked a late deal to Albena at the Hotel Amelia with Balkan holidays but the day before we were due to leave we had an Email to say that our Hotel had been changed to the Borjana. We couldn't really do much about it so off we went. First impressions were that it looked a little dated, at least from the outside. Our room, however was fine, with a wonderful view of the Black Sea. Everywhere was very clean, the towels and linen were changed regularly, the air con very efficient and the beds comfortable. This hotel is ON the beach. The fine, golden sand is kept clean, no evidence of any litter, broken glass etc. Sun beds and umbrellas are free, which is a bonus. The animation team were amazing, they work very hard, always with a smile on their faces. We didn't really take part in any activities offered but enjoyed watching the aerobics, boule competitions, volley ball ........... If you have children,( up to early teens) this is perfect. The pool is safe, there is lots going on to entertain them and the resort itself has wonderful facilities for every age. We never saw any bad behaviour from children at all, maybe because they were mostly German or eastern Europeans!!! The British are in the minority at this hotel.
We had originally booked bed and breakfast at the Amelia and the Borjana is AI. We could have upgraded but decided to stay as we were and try the local restaurants which were great value for money. The food at the hotel was fab. A wonderful choice for breakfast. The coffee, especially, was lovely. We left very early in the morning and we were even offered our breakfast in a box to take with us. The only negatives were that everyone seemed to wait for a tip and that the exterior of the hotel needed a makeover.

Room Tip: The rooms mostly have a sea/ side sea view. Ask for a one on the lower floors, maybe floors3-5.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Two days before I was due to fly out to Bulgaria I was contacted by Thomas Cook to tell me that my agreed hotel would not be open in time and hence I was offered the Borjana. Having never used either hotel I had no comparisons to draw and no reason to fear the new disignated hotel. The problems with the arrangement were clear from the start when I was greeted in German. It transpired that of the 200+ guests there were only half a dozen Brits,the rest were German or Russian. Now, I am no Xenophobic but being a lone traveller I suddenly felt very isolated and very alone.
Ok..none of the is the Borjana's fault so I shall review as if I were amongst my own...

The room was tidy and functional, the Tv a little archaic but I usually view a set as a bonus rather than a necessity. The shower was effiecient, the bed comfortable and the linen clean.
I had a fourth floor view out on to the Black Sea from whence the sun rose of a morning.
The sunbeds were plentiful on the beach and poolside with matresses, tables, umbrellas and a space could be reserved with the right amount of palm greasing. The pool was clean and a good shape and size with kiddie section railed off at one end.
The reception staff were helpful and currency could be converted there.
Activities were a real winner with beach aerobics,hydrotherapy,beach volley ball and half size netted football goals available.
The breakfast choice was enormous. A selection of teas and coffees, hot food,cereals,meats,salad foods,assorted breads and accompniaments and fresh fruit all in vast quantities...But watch out for the seagulls.
Out the reception side of the hotel is woody and swamped (but at a safe distance) so please be aware of the possibility of mosquitoes. there is a shop within the hotel and plent others scattered nearby. Similar with eateries and bars. Also a poolside bar and one inside on the ground floor that generally are for AI but take cash.
All in all a decent and well appointed hotel but as I say..a little duanting for the solo traveller who likes to interact with new people.

Also featured..Paid safes and A/C. Mini bar and fridge.

Room Tip: Ask for Sea-Side as high as you like, there are lifts. Maybe away from lifts to avoid corridor traff...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

My brother and I stayed in Borjana hotel for almost two weeks in July. We planned our summer vacation for a while and weren’t disappointed. We arrived at the hotel in the morning and within a short time period we received our “all inclusive” bracelets. We were even given a room before the actual check in time.
The hotel is conveniently located on the main strip and right on the beach.
It draws many visitors from Germany, Russia, Bulgaria and Rumania. The hotel is family oriented, and many visitors bring their children for a fun vacation. The rooms are simple, but clean and comfortable. There are safe boxes that you can rent behind the hotel reception area. We got a nice room with a bay window and an amazing view of the sea and beach! The maid service generally does a good job.
The staff in the hotel is nice, friendly and hard working. We stayed in other Albena hotels before, and this one has, by far, the most hard-working employees that really strive for great service. The food was served at the poolside restaurant. The food was good and plenty of it – fruits, salads, hot dishes, as well as local beer and wine. It did seem a little monotonous, however, since the menu doesn’t change a lot from day to day. The service was exceptional. The waiters worked fast and kept the tables clean. There were a few theme dinners that we enjoyed. There were snacks by the pool from 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. that consisted of pizza, salads, fruits, cookies and ice cream.
The lounge chairs and umbrellas on the beach were included in the price, unlike many other hotels that charged extra for their use. The sea was warm, but had a lot of seaweed near the shore. The pool is unique with steel palm trees around it. It is somewhat of a landmark at Albena. There were quite a few activities at the pool for adults and kids.
The hotel manager, Dima Ivanova, takes a lot of pride in running a very efficient hotel. Ms. Ivanova has been in hotel management for many years, and it shows. She was very attentive, professional and helped to make our stay at Borjana very pleasant and enjoyable.
I’d highly recommend Borjana hotel!

Sofia, Bulgaria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

I couldn't believe that such varietry and quality of food could be served in 3 star hotel and almost everything was very delicious. The staff is very kind and ready to help. The pool is ok, but we spent most of the time on the beach which is right in front of the hotel. We stayed in the appartment and it was brand new furnished. The cleaning is every day. Overall it is very good hotel for vacation with kids who love the sand and the sea and for people who like hotels right on the beach and at the same time around 10 minutes from the centre of the resort.

Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

My family and I visited Borjana in July 2011. I enjoyed my stay very much. The hotel provides the accommodations for excellent vacation for people from all ages and all over the world. I would highly recommend it to anybody who would like to have great summer vacation and see “the SIMPLY HEAVEN”.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Borjana? Share your experiences!