We stayed for two weeks at Ranweli for our honeymoon and were very pleased with it. We had a sea-facing bungalow which was unbeatable for views and tranquility, so would definitely recommend upgrading. Standard of accommodation was high, really good quality air conditioning and nice bathroom particular highlights (availability of Premier League football via cable channel Star Sports was a great bonus too!). All inclusive package is fine- buffet food gets a little repetitive but a la carte is relatively cheap if you fancy a change. You can get a lot of different drinks- bottles of lager, spirits (local brands but fine), cocktails, mocktails and more. Bar service was efficient and quick. No snacks included. Other things to note: the resort is dominated by German guests (very few other English travellers during our stay), this was not a problem for us but is worth being aware of. Most of staff speak reasonable English but I think are more regularly practiced in German and it sometimes took a few goes to make ourselves understood. Also, Ranweli should really look at installing air con (or at least fans) in the dinning room/main bar area which could get pretty stifling in the evenings. Wi-fi in the bar/lobby areas is a bit unreliable and generally quite slow at peak times. But these are all fairly minor points in what was an otherwise very enjoyable and relaxing stay.
Our main tip would be to book any trips you would like to do around Sri Lanka through Anthoney, an independent local entrepreneur who will probably introduce himself to you on the beach. This might feel disconcerting at first but you can entirely trust Anthoney- we booked a package of trips with him (including to Sigiriya Rock, Kandy, Pinnewala elephant orphanage as well as a dolphin tour) and he provided an excellent level of service at far more reasonable rates than the resident tour operators at Ranweli offer. Transport is by air conditioned minibus and the guide for our trips was Lucas, an extremely jovial and knowledgeable local with good English and German. Anthoney also runs a shop and restaurant just outside the hotel which are well worth a visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ranweli Holiday Village is an eco-friendly resort located on a 22-acre peninsula where mangrove forests and winding rivers converge to meet the sea. Located only 18 kms from Colombo's International Airport, Ranweli is the perfect base to explore the fascinating history, culture and nature of Sri Lanka. The hotel is on Waikkal Beach & provides bungalows & rooms with a private bathroom. The resort has an outdoor pool and its own restaurant & bar. Each bungalow / room is air-conditioned, has a safe, sitting area and telephone. The attached bathroom includes a hot/cold shower. Guests can enjoy a beach volleyball, billiards or table tennis at Ranweli. Water activities such as paddle boating, canoeing and kayaking are available. Ranweli is able to organize boat rides and bird watching tours. You can experience multi-cuisine dishes at the buffets of the resort's restaurant & a variety of liquor is served at the pool bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Ranweli Holiday Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ranweli Holiday Village Waikkal
- Ranweli Holiday Village Hotel Waikkal