“Great stay with a helpful staff!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Palm Beach Hotel

You added Palm Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Palm Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   52 de Saram Road | Mount Lavinia, Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia, Sri Lanka   |
Los Angeles, California
“Great stay with a helpful staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

When my husband and I first arrived, we were not happy with the room that was given to us. After we expressed this to the staff, they were able to quickly provide a different room that was to our liking! We stayed for about 4 days before going on to the north of the Island, where we actually stayed at hotel that is still by the same company that does the Palm Beach Hotel. The hotel in the north, called Galway Forrest Lodge was beauitful! (But that would be for a different review)

The beach isn't directly behind the hotel; instead, you woulD have to walk maybe 3 minutes but it wasn't really a big issue since my husband and I love walking around. I found the food to be very good and surprisingly, the menu offered a good variety. The staff incredibly helpful and always smiling.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel and ask anyone to give it a shot!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Stayed here in February for one night before flying home. The best thing about the hotel was the swimming pool which seemed clean and well kept. The bedroom seemed good on the surface but then we discovered the floor was filthy and towels smelly. The aircon worked fine but the room smelt of cigarettes and there was no fan so the smell kept recirculating. The bed was really comfortable and shower quite powerful. The restaurant was poor, food was cold and overcooked and when we complained it came back the same 30mins later. They insisted we still paid fully for the meal so we did just to save it coming from the waiters wages.

Room Tip: Go to a great restaurant nearby called Loon Tao, fabulous food
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Cairns, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed here after prebooking this via our travel agent from Australia. From the start everything was wrong. They must have lost our booking so kept us waiting for over an hour before we got our room. That was the best bit. All manner of things were broken in the room and despite reports, the staff did nothing to try to fix. Little Hitler in charge of the pool and a manager was chauvinistic and very rude to my wife. The ultimate nightmare start to a holiday. They deserve no business at all from customers despite a nice pool and a good breakfast. Management needs to wake up.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Me and my wife were there for one night in this hotel and it was a terrible experience. The room was full of mosquitos and also the restaurant. Breakfast was good. Hotel is in a good location (but no beach). I am sorry that I cannot recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Cannot recommend to have a room at this hotel.
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

The hotel is not altogether bad. But, one must have no illusion about spending time in the hotel's beach. The beach is half a kilometer from the hotel, with several buildings and twin railway lines in between. Front of the hotel looks cramped with no open ground. Front building is modern. But rooms are housed in a colonial style low level building with tile roofed corridor running all along in front of the rooms. All the rooms here face the inner court yard, which has good deal of greenery and a good swimming pool. The ambiance in this court yard is good. Dining area also faces this court yard. The rooms are old, though are maintained cleanly. Food is good, especially for those who relish non-veg.

Room Tip: Select room facing inner court yard.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Canada, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

My girlfriend and I were booked to stay 3 nights but we extended it to 6 nights as we found the stay pleasant. When we arrived on our first day we were not happy with the room as we were given twin beds when we had requested a double bed. The staff were able to offer us another room that was to our satisfaction. The plus sides to this hotel are it's clean, the staff are welcoming and greet everyone with respect , it has a nice pool and its near the beach. If you are unhappy with anything the staff make an effort to fix it.The downsides are the bathroom needs updating badly, no internet in the rooms, pools are accessed by locals and it can sometimes become noisy especially with the kids. I would defi recommend this hotel to anyone and should I visit srilanka in the future I would book here again. Thank you for having us!

Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

My wife, 2 kids and I just spent 6 days in December at this hotel. Although it is lacking in a bit of TLC, it was a comfortable and relaxing stay. I knew I had not paid for a 5 star experience, so my expectations were not high. However, I was plesantly surprised. The rooms were always fantastically cleaned each day, breakfast was abundant, and the pool is massive and deep with a heated childrens pool that rim flows into the bigger one.
The biggest plus it this hotels location so close to Mount Lavinia beach just out of the city enough to get a feel of local life without getting too rural.
Sure the one bedroom cupboard door didn't close completely and the shower door leaked a little water onto the bathroom floor when I took a shower; this aside, I would stay here again. I know what I'm getting and I know what I paid - which was relevant, so I did not expect more. I've stayed in snobby 5 star places and have had worse.
So if you are a bit snobby about where you stay, this place may not have all that your high standards require.
But if you enjoy clean, friendly service, aircon, a comfy bed, the biggest pool to cool off after a day at the beach, and a restful environment with no frills; then I suggest you give this hotel a try.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Palm Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!