“Nice pool setting and room, but pity the rest!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Palm Beach Hotel

You added Palm Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Palm Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   52 de Saram Road | Mount Lavinia, Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia, Sri Lanka   |
Trincomalee
“Nice pool setting and room, but pity the rest!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We, 2 older guys, stayed 4 nights at the Palm Beach Hotel coming to Colombo mainly to renew our tourist visas. The good points first. The hotel has a very pleasant large swimming pool in a nice garden setting. The hotel from the pool has the appearance of the old British colonial era, and is cool and shady with wide verandahs and comfy sofas to lounge about in. The room we occupied was large and airy with a separate dining area and a fridge.and a small private balcony at the back great for drying clothes. Now the bad. The hotel seemed to be not very well run. Re the staff at reception, we were often left wondering if they knew what they were doing, whether their English was of a high enough standard to properly comprehend our questions. The usual response was 'Don't worry, it will be all right Sir', or 'I'll fix it for you'. Most often, our requests were forgotten. There was also a problem with connecting to the internet, and no one seemed to be able to find a solution. The restaurant was another problem. Unfortunately the kitchen was at the far side of the property to where the restaurant was, and that plus errors in communication meant trouble. We saw diners get up and leave in disgust. Finally, I got viral diahorrea while staying here which lasted 2 days. I can't be sure how I got it but I only ate at the hotel premises that day. I suspect that it was probably one of the waiters serving tap water which was the only thing my friend had which was different from me.

Room Tip: The rooms all appear to be of a good standard, but the lighting of steps to walk up to the first flo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I stayed at Palm Beach in the first week of April 2013. Had booked 2 suites but one of them was in such poor condition that I had to take up a regular room in exchange. The room was extremely musty with dirty carpets. Also the approach to that particular suite was in a corner of the resort and one needs to take the stairs that pass through a service area. Totally pathetic!
Anyway the hotel assured me that they will refund the difference in amount as I was taking up a regular room in exchange for the suite that I had already payed for in advance. I even have a mail to that effect from the Palm Beach front office manager. As I had booked via Agoda, the hotel said that when they finally invoice Agoda , they will make a note of the difference in amount and bill accordingly. Agoda will then reimburse me. Well the next nightmare was following up with Agoda. It has now been 3 months and after maybe more than a dozen mails with numerous deadlines broken by Agoda , they finally tell me that they cannot reimburse me and will instead offer me a 5% discount on my next booking. This is ridiculous as far from addressing my issues Agoda is trying to solicit further business from me!
Palm beach is also the only hotel I have been to that charges a fine of about 1000 Srilankan if you happen to consume your own alcohol in the room.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia hotels

Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

I stayed at this hotel from the 29th of March 2012 till the 31st of March 2012. First when we arrived, I noticed that the entrance of the reception was "resort-like" however it was very unimpressive. The only good thing about the reception area was that wifi was free. The couches on the reception was old and worn out.

The room was very basic, with a bed and TV. There is no coffee making facilities. The room was pretty spacious however and there was a balcony for the guest to sit out and enjoy a drink.The worst part of the room is the bathroom, was quite dirty and it smelled quite bad too. It stunk of urine most of the time.

Now moving on to the facilities provided by the hotel. The rooms came with breakfast. I would say that the breakfast was adequate. Do not expect too much from this place. They do have a large selection of bread, if you love bread alot!!!

The swimming pool area was ok. Nothing really to shout about. The size of the pool is sizable enough for a good swim. I supposed the great thing about this hotel is the location. Its not very close to the railway tracks as there are some hotels built next to the tracks and the trains will go by the hotels in the vicinity every half an hour. And the beach is really close by. 3 mins walk and you will be at the beach.

Overall, barely ok experience.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Colombo, Sri Lanka
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

Been there few times, but all on day use..the hotel seems to be going down... there was no phone in the room on one occasion and there was no TV one occasion - The staff did inform me that there is no tv in the room. Decent swimming pool. The service and the staff are quite average.

Room Tip: Go for an up stair room
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

We spent the last night of a two week holiday here. We first went to the Mount Lavinia but they were fully booked (it was a Friday night) and they sent us here. The room was about US$70. It was okay – the room itself was very big, but the bathroom stall door didn't close properly and leaked water all over the floor, and the TV had very bad reception (making it basically unwatchable). The decor was gloomy and tired but the a/c worked okay. The pool has a life guard. They let us check out at 12 instead of 10 as we had a late flight. The breakfast staff were very friendly but reception was so-so. I wouldn't pre-plan to stay here but it's ok if you're stuck!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

We stayed here for 1 night, at the end of our trip in Sri Lanka, and we liked the place. The hotel room was spacious and clean, although it smelled if someone smoked in the room (which wasn't the case, according to the staff). We arrived at 10 'o clock, however we could enter our room directly. We spend some hours at the pool, and had a lunch at the restaurant. There was not a huge choice on the menu, but the food we got was very tasty.
Since we wanted to explore Colombo we asked the lady at the reception if she had some suggestions for us, but the only thing she suggested was to go to the beach or a shopping mall. Therefore: bring your own guide book. After our visit in Colombo, only 15-20 min by three-wheelers to the center, we went for another dive in to the pool.
In the evening we enjoyed our dinner at the restaurant. I wanted to eat some Sri lankan food, since it was our last evening, and although it was not on the original menu (the choice was fish or meat), it was no problem at all to adjust it. I'd liked also the fact that they didn't made it very spicy! After our meal we ordered a cocktail, but this took a while (approx 30 min) to make it.
The next morning we left very early to be on time at the airport, which is a little more than 1hr drive, so I can't comment on the breakfast.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

The hotel reception area is quite pleasant but we were subjected to a lecture by the man in charge who apparently assumed that we had never stayed in a hotel before and got quite upset when some members of our small group stopped listening to his insane and pointless ranting. We were given a good sized room that was a bit tired looking. When I saw that the bathroom had not been properly cleaned and that there was rubbish behind the bathroom door I went back to reception and was told rudely to " just wait a minute" when I said there was a problem with the room. The receptionist then gave a key to a busboy who took us to another room in a dark out of the way part of the hotel. On the way we passed a pile of broken furniture outside our new room. The new room was a bit cleaner but still quite tired looking and was smaller than the first room and actually missing half its furniture. I went back to reception and started to complain that they have given us two poor rooms and had not even had the decency to apologise for messing us about.. The receptionist said they had no more rooms available. A lie. The night manager who was the guy who gave us the lecture then stepped in and took us to a third room that was cleaner and seemed to have all the furniture more or less intact. He made out that he was doing us some special favour by giving us this room. Utter nonsense. It was the same type of room as the first one it just happened to be a bit cleaner and not in a dark corner next to the hotel's pile of dead furniture. Next came the worst meal experienced in Sri Lanka. I think it was supposed to be Western food but it was a failure from start to finish and totally inedible. Breakfast was haphazard to say the least but they did have some nice asian food available. I ate out the next afternoon so that I could avoid the evening meal. To the hotel's credit they did do a curry the second night which I am told was pretty good. Food service staff on this evening were also good and very friendly. The receptionist also did apologise for the problems on arrival when he saw me the next night. One weird thing I found in the room was an insane set of rules regarding bringing in food or booze from outside to consume in the room - there was a threat that they would charge $10 or $15 for any outside booze found in the rooms. They would also charge for any outside food consumed in the rooms. Were they planning on going through my rubbish? This was made even more weird by that fact that the room had a fridge (not turned on) and did not have a minibar or any obvious way of getting room service. I don't know why its called Palm Beach as its not on the beach. You have to walk down a laneway with nasty dogs and then cross the railway tracks and then walk along the railway tracks and through a restaurant to get to the beach. Out of 8 hotels used in Sri Lanka this was the worst by far.

Room Tip: Avoid it.
  • Stayed March 2011

Been to Palm Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!