“Good service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mount Lavinia Hotel

You added Mount Lavinia Hotel to your Saves list
Mount Lavinia Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Hotel Road, Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia 10732, Sri Lanka   |
“Good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

Check in and early check out was efficient, with a packed breakfast on check out. Service was friendly and efficient and food excellent. This is the home of Slow Food in Colombo. We loved relaxing at the poolside

• Stayed October 2012
MLHG-Management, General Manager at Mount Lavinia Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for writing to us on Tripadvisor, we hope to see you again on your return to Sri Lanka.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Indian Shores, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This is the 5th time I have stayed at this hotel, so I felt it is about time to write a review. Mount Lavinia Hotel tops my stay at any other hotel in Sri Lanka. It is a trip back in time but with every modern convenience. Rooms are well maintained and comfortable and the food is supreme. I particularly enjoyed the live music at poolside. The service is effecient and professional and the staff throughout the hotel are friendly and very helpful. The lobby manager, Lal, and his staff make every effort to accommodate ones needs;I always get the feeling that nothing is too much trouble. I highly recommend Mount Lavinia Hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear guest thank you for the repeated patronage at our property. We are glad that our service standard is up to your expectations. We hope to indulge you at our property once again.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Second stay, this time booked through a local official contact. It was a business/ pleasure trip for 5 nights.

We had a better room with ocean view, balcony with two wooden seats, huge king size bed. A bigger, modern looking room altogether and a nicer, modern shower room, together with a welcome letter from management and a small fruit plate ornate with a pineapple crown (but no pineapple).

However, room could have been cleaner- the windows and mirrors in particular were quite dirty, but also the walls showed signs of dampness and leaks and bathroom floor didn't look like it had been cleaned properly. It wasn't terrible but not good enough. The hall outside the room also stank of dampness and food...

Next issue was with the air conditioning- we found it too cold and turned it off. Next day condensation/ leak appeared on the ceiling between the vent and the fan, around one of the spot lights, with a wet floor underneath- a potential health and safety risk. When called, they just wiped the ceiling and floor dry and put the AC back on. Of course it happened again every day and only solution was that we have to use the AC!, which we did when we were out of the room. Sorry Earth, we tried!

Other minor problems with the room:
The shower and sink drained very slowly, verging on appearing blocked.
The hair dryer is in the wardrobe, in one of the drawers, and can only be used with both wardrobe doors opened if you want a mirror too, thus blocking the hall and bathroom entrance- quite inconvenient.
There is no table on the balcony and the chairs are very uncomfortable to sit on any longer than 2 minutes (unless you have good bottom padding :-)).
Room service doesn't bring food on a trolley but a tray so you eat on your lap or, well, crouched down over the coffee table (after you clear it of the drinks tray...) or take it in turns to eat at the desk. Also, the food came with only one set of cutlery and napkin, although clearly an order for two. Maybe they thought we would eat in turns using the same cutlery. I am all for saving the planet but still...

Worst of all, we had noise disturbance throughout our stay at different times of day and night, from feet tapping in the morning (wedding guests feeding or maybe even dancing?), to noisy banging mid afternoon, to further banging throughout the night... It turned out the room was under one of the function halls, and if no function then staff moved furniture around and prepared for next function, irrespective of time of day or night and without any consideration to paying guests on holiday (or working). We complained both directly to the staff doing the work and through reception but they didn't seem to take much notice and the noise continued still for however long. They didn't even seem to make any effort to do their work a little quieter after we complained (i.e. use two people to move a round table rather than roll it down steps -bang! bang!- on the wooden floors and then pushing it on the floor to align along the wall -screech! screech!).

Generally comfortable sleep once you get used to the ocean sounds and if no work noise from above. However, the light switches on each side of the bed have small blue lights to indicate when off (why?!) and they are quite bright at night. Maybe useful as a night light but I prefer darkness.

Now on to service.
On our penultimate day we returned from the beach at lunchtime to find that our keys didn't work anymore. Also, the room had not been cleaned. We went to reception to enquire- they had us down for one less night (although they blocked the credit card for the correct number of nights when we checked in). Got that cleared and the key reactivated only to have our afternoon nap, couple of hours later, disturbed by... yes, reception, who called to ask us when we plan to check out!!! Obviously there is serious lack of communication between staff.
Also, it seems that days are confused with nights and if you stay for 5 nights, checking in on Tuesday means they expect you out by Saturday!!! Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri, Sat- yep, that's 5 days, translating into nights for the reception desk staff. Same happened when I bought an internet card- that was on a Thursday morning and he said it was valid for 3 days, only until Sat same time- ??!! Maybe an abacus would help...

Oh yes, one plus- you can use the internet in the business centre for free and WiFi internet, if staying longer and planning to use a lot, it's not very expensive.

On the plus side... well, can't think of much, which is a shame, maybe that the hotel is in a lovely setting and looks like a nice colonial building which they could so improve! But they don't seem able to get the little things right and seem to have their priorities set on as many functions as they could fit in in a day (no idea how many is that but it seems a constant flow, morning and evening, of weddings; first wedding photo shoots we saw were before 8 am with last at sunset!). And if not weddings then there's corporate functions of different kinds, from weekend conferences to evening parties on the beach etc.

Talking of the beach- be careful when walking on it barefoot as there is sharp glass washed off on it as well as other kind of waste. I understand it's the ocean's work but hotel staff could clean it.

Breakfast was disappointing- they kept running out of this and that and not replenishing it. The choice of fruit was limited after 9 am so wake up early if you want a better choice. Only one cook on eggs so a long queue and wait for a fried egg. Serving staff seem more interested in refilling your cups with tea than ensuring tables are cleared and reset and food replenished on the buffet. However, had some nice pastries and cakes and the honey was very tasty. The rest... not so good, but haven't tried the local dishes (not used to curries at 8 am!), Make sure you check the milk is fresh and clean, crows drink from the jugs on unattended tables and staff don't seem to notice and change it!

However, generally staff are pleasant and very friendly- be prepared to answer a lot of questions about yourself!

There are Autos/ 3 wheelers, just a little up the road past the hotel car park- make sure you have small change on you and they have a meter.

There are a couple of small supermarkets up the road (ask at the business centre for direction, a very helpful lady there!).

Also there is a very nice restaurant up the road- The Rambla (but no alcohol). - separate review on it.

Hotel food is OK but they could improve. Note that there is a 10% service charge and a 12% other tax added to the bill so it is cheap but not as cheap as you first think. Separate review on beach restaurant.

Sorry to ramble but this was a disappointing stay and we returned home without feeling much benefit from it.

Room Tip: Make sure room not under a function hall or near kitchens/ lifts or areas of general movement.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MLHG-Management, General Manager at Mount Lavinia Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for returning to our heritage hotel. However, I would like to apologize for the errors made by the hotel with connection to your stay.

We have taken corrective measures to all the areas with reference, to quality of service and product development. Unfortunately, I must point out a few areas that we reject the responsibility for the problem leading to the unfavourable comments:
• The pineapple crown on the fruit plate was a garnish. Tropical fruit or fruits that are synonymous for the season will be placed as accompaniments in the fruit platter hence pineapple may not always be placed.
• Destination Weddings, Conferences and unique events are a very popular business mix that uses our property as their preferred choice of venue. The hotel being 12km away from the city centre and surrounded by a private beach we call the Paradise beach and also the mansion epitomizing Sri Lanka’s colonial heritage hence many personnel prefer the hotel as a unique location for their event as it signifies the key selling points of the destination.
• The glass that is washed into our beach from the Indian Ocean is daily cleaned by a group of cleaners. We have no control of the debris that is washed into the beach from the ocean but continuous cleaning is performed to clean the beach so that the safety is done because of that.

However we value your comments and strive to make ourselves better and better by asking our customers. We look forward to welcoming you again.
vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

As unbelievable as it may seem, the following is an accurate, honest recount of our experience at this hotel, entirely devoid of embellishment. Booked through the hotel website on Oct.26th for a stay on Oct.27th. Price with breakfast and dinner was approximately $250 US Dollars.
Check In : a Trainee checked us in who was very pleasant. Originally asked me for a 40,000 Rupee imprint on my credit card. When asked what for, he replied " for your room and breakfast " No, I have already paid through your web-site.
Then was asked for a $260 imprint.
" No we have already paid ".
Eventually cleared up the misunderstanding. Asked if we needed a ticket for dinner. No was the answer.
Not exactly 5 star, but no big deal.
Hotel very busy for lunch. Sat at the only available table. Waited a good 10 minutes for it to be cleared. Mediocre lunch. Waited another 15 minutes for the bill.
Not exactly 5 star, but no big deal.
And then came the unbelievable:
Had a bottle of water with dinner and asked for the bill. My wife signed it in the dark, before noticing it included a $60.00 plus dinner bill that we had pre-paid for. As the bill was signed, I advised her to rip it up. She did so and asked for a new bill. A few minutes later the Assistant Food and Beverage Manager came over and asked if there was a problem. " No problem, we were just given the wrong bill, and are awaiting a new one". We were then told that " we had no right to rip up the bill and that it was hotel property " . Shocked as I was, I tried to explain that it was an incorrect bill, and as it had been signed, I could not allow it to leave the table. He continued to berate us and I asked, demanded to be fair, that he follow me to the Foyer to discuss the matter in private. He followed me halfway, but stopped. I waited for a bit and went back inside and and asked him again to come with me ( I have been in the restaurant business for 20 years and did not wish to cause a disturbance to other Diners ) . He did not follow me so I went to the Hotel Lobby to discuss the situation with the Hotel Manager. Unbeknownst to me, while I was in the Lobby, he continued to harass my wife, who repeatedly stated that her husband was dealing with the situation and asked him to leave her alone. He did not. My wife asked him to quit harassing her. He replied that he was not harassing her. Eventually, we all ended uo in the Hotel Lobby ( the Food and Beverage Manager, the Offender, the Hotel Manager, my wife and myself ). Incredibly, the Offender continued to defend his actions, clutching at the wripped Bill. I pointed out that he should pay more attention to his Guests rather than the paper in his hands. ( Please remember that we are paying $250 per night for the privilege of all this ). Eventually the Offender - the number 2 man in the hotels food and beverage department - was removed from the premises and we returned to our Room. My wife was quite shaken from this extremely abnormal experience, and we discussed moving to a new hotel. The phone rang- it was room service offering us a fruit basket. As we had just eaten a full buffet dinner, this was not a reasonable response from the Hotel - a bit of a slap in the face really- and we declined. As I was still riled up, I left the Room to go for a walk where I ran in to the Food and Beverage Manger who apologized again, and asked if I would be his Guest for a drink on the Terrace. I agreed and my wife and I enjoyed a couple of scotches each on the Terrace to unwind. We left a nice tip and returned to our Room and got in to bed. Incredibly, the phone rang again and I was requested to return to the Terrace to pay for two Scotches. You can not make this stuff up. Got dressed, down to the Lobby, wait for the Manager, who was understandably horrified, and advised me that she would take care of things and that I should go have a good nights sleep. Not unexpectedly , nothing was said to me upon check-out the next morning and I was presented with my full bill in its entirety. Finally, the hotel arranged for my Airport Transfer and accounted for rush-hour traffic, but not for the fact that it was a Sunday. We arrived three and a half hours early for our Flight. Again, no big deal, but a fitting conclusion. I have been fortunate to stay in many hotels in many countries and never have I experienced anything like this. As I said, I have been in the restaurant business for twenty years and know what its like to be on the other side of things. I will excuse anything in my Server except rudeness, and as it turns out borderline psychotic behaviour. The Hotels reaction to their Employees actions was also unprofessional and unacceptable Please do yourself a favour and stay at The Cinnamon Grand where the food, grounds, and pool area are vastly superior.
The Cinnamon Grand also has a concept of what Service in the Hotel Industry actually means.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to send us your views on your stay at our four star heritage hotel. Every feedback is important to us and it helps us to better ourselves and indeed exceed your expectations in the future.

However, my sincere apologies for the bad experience you faced at our hotel. We agree that the usual high standards of our products and services were not met in this instance.

As a result of inquiring from the necessary personnel, the reason was due to a lack of communication and an overlook in the processors that have been implemented on the formalities of reservations on in-house guests. So in order to prevent re-occurrences as such we have set up a verification procedure to be aligned with the restaurant and the front office.

While we can understand the surprise you got when an incorrect bill was handed to you, as a business practice in the hospitality/hotel industry patrons tearing or ripping a bill is not ethical and unfortunately I must point out that the employee was disturbed by the action and hence he too retaliated with offence. Usual business practice when there is a dispute of on a bill by a patron the employee concerned will either “cross” or “void” the bill so that when it is presented to accounts a justification is attached to it but tearing a bill is not the norm in the industry.

To show our goodwill, after the bad experience, a kind gesture of an invitation was handed to you for a round of drinks at the Terrace. You continued to enjoy the Terrace and a few more rounds were consumed hence the waiter had billed you for the rest. We understand your frustration however the employee was advised to only offer a round of drinks on complimentary basis but unfortunately they should have posted the bill to your room for the rest of the consumed alcohol, instead of asking you to head down again to pay for the rest of the drinks. Once again, we apologize for that.

We value your comments and we assure you that these areas of communication will be rectified, so that your next visit to our four star heritage property will indeed be a favourable stay.
copenhagen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We booked a room here last minute, moving from Hikkaduwa closer to Colombo (although I did think MLH was a little closer to Colombo - my mistake)
When we arrived we were greated with a welcome drink and the checking in process was smooth, we had booked a colonial room but were told that we now had an ocean room (an upgrade). This was lovely, mostly for the children to be able to have the view (even though they were more interested in the trains going past).
The room itself was big, we had a kingsize bed and an extra bed, all very comfortable (the extra bed being a proper bed rather then the camp ones that some hotels ry to get away with).
The bathroom was in need of a little decorating but that was the only down side.
We ate at the Sea Cove and I feel got a little ripped off with regards to how much we should order.
Other times we ate in the Governers restaurant which was very good. Perfect childrens menu too! Mount Lavinia itself has nothing going on, so unless you take a day trip you are stuck in the hotel. (If you have a good book to read this is not a problem)

Room Tip: The ocean room we had I think would be that of partial view as the trains were also going past at re...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest, thank you for choosing mount Lavinia hotel as your point of indulgence. We are glad you that you enjoyed you’re stay with us and hope to see you again in the future.
Cumbria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We went back to Mt Lavinia last week. There is no doubt that it is a wonderful hotel and I have always thought of it as the great colonial hotel of Sri Lanka- rather like Raffles in Singapore.
In truth I have known this hotel for 50 years - my parents even had their honeymoon there - so it has always been a favourite.
The room was wonderful - looking out over the sea - (though sadly October is not the best month for sunsets - but when there is one it is as good as you will get anywhere). All mod cons -thankfully an almost silent AC system. Clean, tidy, HUGE bed, mini bar, hairdryer, iron, safe - everything you could possible want.
Good service from the staff... Good food - a variety of menus, in different restaurants. We ate out at the Sea Cove on the beach every night which was wonderful - try the huge prawns grilled with garlic or ask for the coconut shrimp - delicious.
Sadly there were one or two aspects that detracted from the wonderful experience.... firstly - weddings!!
There were scheduling up to 8 weddings a day - which for the first one or two were fine - even fun to watch as they are so beautiful but after the 10th time you have bumped into large groups of wedding guests, dancers, photoshoot sessions on the beach, by the pool, in the restaurants, by the front door, by the fountains........ It becomes a little trying!
Secondly there appears to be a surcharge for everything in the restaurants - a bottle of wine is 30% more expensive if you order it with your meal rather than from the bar - likewise beer, and snacks - if ordered by the pool. Whilst I see the logic - I think 30% is over the top.
However I would not want to put people off - the Mt Lavinia has always been and remains a lovely hotel and is worth staying at - at least once in a life time just to savour a hotel from a past era.

Room Tip: Spend a bit more and ask for a top floor room with a sea view - it is worth it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest thank you for your repeated patronage at our wonderful property. The wonderful comments mentioned on food and facilities are duly noted. The famous romance rainbowed over the hotel one of the reasons why, perhaps, it is a favourite choice for lovers, weddings and honeymoons. We would also like to assure you that there is no surcharge, only a fixed rate chart as a standard menu followed at our restaurants.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We had the worse experience in August this year when we had our wedding in MLH. The event organiser was willing to give his arm and leg at but the question was did he have the power to do anything. A big hotel with a lot of staff but when it comes to errors, mistakes and failures no one is willing to take a blame. The following are a list of failures
- no umbreallas were offered to guests who had to soak in the rain
- paid full price for a full lit hall/ hut but only 30% was lit
- paid full price for beach illumination but it was only 20% of what was shown in the photographs
- paid full prices for a bon fire but it was lit up at 7pm and the fire subsided by 8pm
- paid Rs2000 per table decor for exotic water flowers but it was done with flowers from shrubs of Sri lankan back yards eg wathusudda
- paid Rs4750 per head for a meal but the string hopper pilau(main stach item) took 40min to be refilled so people lost their apetitie/ disatisfied
- there was no prawns ready when we (bride and groom) had their first meal
- started folding chairs while the party was still going(2315) on even though extra payments were made till 1am
- our room was not cleaned since morning ie had to ask for a broom to clean the room when we got back(wedding night)
- lunch remains left outside room door was still there at midnight
- no complimentary/promised fruit basket for the wedding couple
- no complimentary/promised cake for the wedding couple
- MOST IMPORTANTLY LOST A VALUABLE WEDDING GIFT AT MLH
This is what we paid for our wedding. Needless to say MLH is able to hold nearly 4-5 weddings at a given time. One wonders where the interests of this organisation is now! I don't think it will take too long for people to realise.

Room Tip: Make sure you select a side that is serviced frequently
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
MLHG-Management, General Manager at Mount Lavinia Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to write to us on tripadvisor. Whilst we sincerely apologize for the shortfalls from our part we would like to ensure that we have taken measures to ensure such will not be repeated in the future. I believe our director, catering and conventions have got in touch with you already in regards to this matter. Whilst we wish to stress that this is not in line with the high standards we have set for our performance, we have taken the information into consideration to provide a better and customized service in the future. Whilst expressing my sincere apologies once again, we hope that you will return to our iconic heritage hotel by the sea.

Been to Mount Lavinia Hotel? Share your experiences!