“Our best meal in Colombo - definitely worth a trip to Mt Lavinia” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood, Shanghai, Szechuan
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Edinburgh
“Our best meal in Colombo - definitely worth a trip to Mt Lavinia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We loved the Loon Tao. As an open air restaurant on the beach at Mount Lavinia, you shouldn't go expecting plush surroundings and white linen. This place carries off a genuine, relaxed beach bar/restaurant style really well. The service was exceptional and the staff very friendly and attentive.

The food was all lovely and the portions were huge. We ordered the small portions of the starters and can't imagine what the large ones would have been like. Everything looked and tasted as it it was prepared on site - something you rarely see in the UK.

I accept this is not the cheapest place to eat but we felt it was worth the money. The food was fresh, tasted great and was filling. We genuinely contemplated coming back for dinner.

I'm not sure why Mt Lavinia restaurants are not included on the main TA listings for Colombo. The Loon Tao was better than any of the places we ate at in Town and with Mount Lavinia only being a 15/20 minute ride by Tuk Tuk it is definitely worth a visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
LOONTAO, Manager at LOON TAO, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valued patronage at Loon Tao ! Thank you for the compliments.

We work passionately hard to give the BEST Dining Experience to all our Guests ! Your comments are the Best Reward for the Team's untiring efforts ! We always offer our Guests a warm welcome, firendly efficent service and excellent food each time.

We source our Seafood, Vegetables, Fruits DAILY. Vegetables and Fruits are Organic where possible. We source our Meats every other day and are "non froze" for taste,freshness and quality. Every signle dish we serve including starters are MADE TO ORDER to all our Guests (yes we mean it). There are 6 Chef's working alongside each other which forms a Team of 22 staff in the kitchen to achieve this feat ! This is unmatched to any other restaurant other than our sister restaurant TSING TAO which also serves Chinese Seafood. www.tsingtao.lk . This restaurant is located in the heart of Colombo 07, the most affluent location in the city.

TripAdvisor has listed Loon Tao under Mount Lavinia becuase we are just about 2km outside Colombo city limits.

Looking forward to serving you again.

Manager.

• Arabic first
Singapore, Singapore
“Humiliating experience twice visiting this Restaurant .Pathetic customer service .Insulting staff nature”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

As I meant in subject line ,it was a memorable humiliating experience I had with any Restaurant ever.I have been to Loon Tao -Lavinia beach twice to take my lunch however they denied to serve food.When I gave order for a fried rice ,staff asked me to order any drink.When I gave order for drink ,then they asked me to order side dish.I couldn't understand their approach to my need,I was very hungry and wanted take some food but they were keep trying ensure the bill should be high.I least bother about spending money for food but finally the hotel staff said if you don't order we will not serve food.When I spoke to the manager of the hotel (He himself introduced him as a hotel manager) ,he explained me the same stuff as hotel policy.

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone.They will really take you for toss if you are solo traveller .They really want you to spent money but they least bothered About customer service.

Apart from the above teeth problem ,the hotel is located in a good location and well priced .I heard from many they serve good and tasty food .

However I'm not going to keep quiet ,second time I have recorded all conversation and video .I will certainly put it across to Srilankan embassy and Singapore embassy .

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
LOONTAO, General Manager at LOON TAO, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for visiting LOON TAO.

Noted your comments. There would have been a communication error in this regard. Firstly, we don't force any food or drinks to Customers who walk in our Restaurant. However, we would always ask "would you like to drink something?" . This is normal anywhere. Secondly, dry fried rice need to accompany a side dish. This may not have been communicated properly. Our apologies.

Best regards,
The Management.
“A waste of money... and bad customer experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

A total waste of time.. customer service is poor. I had an bad experience
........ it isnt a place to chilll... and the price is high. ..............

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
LOONTAO, Manager at LOON TAO, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Noted your comments. However, you have not been specific as to what was wrong.

In any case, our apologies if the experience was not what you expected.

Best regards,
male
“perfect chinese food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Everything was perfect at loon tao except the prices :) it was little over priced.. place was nicely maintained too... hope its the same now :)

Visited October 2012
LOONTAO, Manager at LOON TAO, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

We focus and invest a lot on maintaining the high standards we have set. We under no circumstances compromise on food or quality of service we offer. We also offer added value to all our Guests with soothing Live Acoustic Music daily from 7pm onwards by some of Colombo's Best Loved Musicians. Place is maintained absolutely the same we we did before. Furthermore, very soon we are starting our refurbishment. Everything is set for this purpose and awaiting Authority approval to proceed.

You will happy to witness all this on your next visit.

Looking forward to serving you again.

sri lanka
“excellent restaurant specially dining in the eveinings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Excellent food. Service was very prompt. The location by the beach with some creative lighting creates a superb atmosphere for dining in the evenings.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
LOONTAO, Manager at LOON TAO, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for visiting us. Your comments are everything we are working hard for ! Much appreciate the time and effort taken to review us.

Looking forward to serving you soon again.