“Heaven on earth” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anantara Medjumbe Island Resort & Spa

You added Anantara Medjumbe Island Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Anantara Medjumbe Island Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Quirimbas Archipelago, Cabo Delgado Province 0000, Mozambique (Formerly Medjumbe Private Island)   |
Hotel deals
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Pretoria, South Africa
“Heaven on earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

A real treat and an excellent location! Thanks to the management, Yanni and his staff who at all times provided excellent service. The food is to die for!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

We spent 10 days on the amazing Medjumbe with Yanni and his staff. 10 star luxury from morning to night, excellent accommodation, great food (and caipirinhas!), picture perfect sunsets and everything else you need in a vacation spot!

I really hope I get the chance to go back - soon!

Thanks to Yanni and his amazing staff for making this a fantastic holiday with amazing memories!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

If you really want to unplug from the world and relax, this gorgeous private beach is just the place to be.

If you looking for a romantic private place to go on honeymoon, this is just the place for that romantic moments.

From the moment we stepped of the aircraft we began with the most wonderful experience in our life.

The staff received us with a warm welcome and took our belongings to the cottage and made sure everything is in order

The Cottage is very spacious, comfortable and clean with lots of candles, has its own Jacuzzi and even a shower outside for that special moments. You really have to try this, it stunning.

The Staff were brilliant always smiling, friendly and pleasant and nothing is too much trouble.

Don’t even talk about food; every meal was fabulous and so much to choose from. Dinner by candle light next to the ocean or even next to the swimming pool.

I will recommend this paradise to each and everyone because I had the most wonderful experience in my life and will remember it always

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

Sometimes you read other reviews and you know you can't beat them... only reinforce them. Every positive, complimentary thing that has been said about Medjumbe is true - just double it. OK, we don't want to build up false hopes, but this is not a cheap place to go so it's reassuring to know that it really does live up to what is said.

The things we liked - whole lobsters presented as "bar snacks", the ever cheerful, ever calm nature of the barman who always knew what we wanted, the best ever food ever, that the rooms weren't too posh and made us feel at home. A perfect white beach, the herons that walked onto our deck. You get the picture.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

Treated like royalty from when we arrived and left 5 days later, food & service the best i've ever experienced. Great for that great escape with only your suntan lotion & the sound of the waves. All in all a great experience. Thanks Yanni & your highly competent staff.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

My husband and I have just returned from the most amazing Island resort. We went to Medjumbe to attend the wedding of friends of ours. I was a bit apprehensive about spending 7 days on a remote Island, I thought it would become boring after a few days. Well what a surprise we were in for, from the moment we landed on this unbelievably beautiful Island we never once felt bored.
As we disembarked on Medjumbe we were met by the GM Yanni and given a warm welcome. As we arrived at the lodge the barman and one of the receptionist received us with a welcoming cocktail and a ice cold refreshing towel. During check -inn, in the lounge area the GM explained everything that we could do on the Island as well as what to be on the lookout for. Imagine a tropical paradise with no mosquito's or snakes, well here is the place.
After check -inn we were escorted to our rooms by the management staff and all the amenities was explained to us. In the rooms waiting for us was a beautifully decorated fresh fruit platter and a bottle of wine with a welcome letter from the GM.
The staff on Medjumbe is just wonderful , they are all very attentive, friendly and helpful without being overbearing. No request was to much trouble for them. ( I have heard many a time that Mozambicans are untrainable well they should come to Medjumbe to see what can be done)
The GM is just the most wonderful person, any requests from the guests was always accommodated, despite having a hotel bursting at the seams with guest from all across the globe for the wedding, all with their own individual likes and dislikes. His attention to detail is incredible and he is at all times aware of what happens on the Island. He was always around to ensure that his guests was treated like royalty. My husband and I travel extensively and we stay in the best hotels all over the world and I must say I have yet to find another General Manager, like Yanni. If I ever have a hotel he will be the first person I will steal.
The bride commented that she had no stress at all with any of the arrangements, as everything was taken over by the GM and was organised to perfection. All she had to do was turn up for the ceremony.

About the food I can write volumes, it was simply the best I have ever had. I am astonished at how they do it with Medjumbe being such a remote Island. The pastry chefs, baked the most amazing chocolate wedding cake, it was almost to beautiful to eat. Their pastries are to die for and needless to say everybody suffered from expanded waistlines after the week.
Everyday at 5pm they would arrange a cocktail for all the guests on the sand-spit where we were served champagne and canapes while lounging on oriental rugs and colourful cushions, with a huge bonfire going. One afternoon they did a most impressive barbecue for the guests on the beach.
Steven the Activities Manager was wonderful with the children taking them on dives and snorkeling trips and ensuring that they had a good time as well.
All in all I must say this was one of the best vacations and definitely the best wedding I have ever attended. We definitely plan to come back to this paradise.
If the staff ever reads this, I would just like to say thank you once again for the most amazing time and keep up the good work.
Congratulations Rani, with Medjumbe you have created the benchmark for all Island resorts.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

Just when I really needed to get away from it all... i found this beautiful island off the coast of Mozambique.

The rooms are spectacular - each with its own jaccuzzi and sea view.

The seafood is spectacular - I have never before had anything quite like it.

The service is great, the staff are friendly and the barman is one of the best in the world.

The island is tiny and it is not that easy to get to. But that is part of the charm - it is not overrun by tourists. I needed to get away - to collect my thoughts, to read, sleep and eat.

Would I return? Absolutely!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

Been to Anantara Medjumbe Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!