“Fabulous, peaceful and beautiful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anantara Medjumbe Island Resort & Spa

You added Anantara Medjumbe Island Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Anantara Medjumbe Island Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Quirimbas Archipelago, Cabo Delgado Province 0000, Mozambique (Formerly Medjumbe Private Island)   |
Hotel deals
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Fabulous, peaceful and beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Perfect spot for the last few days of our honeymoon. Beautiful setting and very well designed. The individual chalets are lovely, all set on the beach. The meals were superb (for the region) - so much fresh fish. Good wine selection and regularly re-stocked minibar. Superb attention to detail both in the design and from the staff and management.
Our only criticism would be the standard of the sailing boats available, which were very poor.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Lusaka, Zambia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

What an amazing place! We spent 7 nights at Mejumbe Island Resort, which can only be described as paradise! An incredibly well laid out lodge on a small island, hours away from anything! All the staff were just amazing, from Abu our valet to Tomi and all the waiters and barmen - always so happy and nothing was ever too much trouble! Drinks were ice cold, food was great! The spa was something to be hold (sadly I have forgotten her name) but the therapist was out of this world - the best massage I have ever had in my life! Jamie the Activities Manager was just fabulous - he always happy to answer questions (and there were so many) and supply paddle-skies, or wake-boards. He was beyond patient with my first ever dive (I would have lost the plot with me).

I was constantly amazed by how such a remote island, was so seamlessly run - what a massive feat! The beauty of the island and lodge would be nothing without the incredible team of dedicated staff they have running it! Truly a hats off to the manager and his team (forgot his name too) All in all, we had an amazing time and we would not think twice about going back!

We LOVED Medjumbe and we not hesitate to recommend it without a second thought!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Wow, what a holiday! And a lot of this was due to the swift and very professional service offered by Shireen of Mozambique Tours. Medjumbe is a stunning location – you are treated like royalty and the friendliness of the staff is unbelievable! Our whole family enjoyed every moment, from the time we woke up to the time we went to bed exhausted after a long day of activities (about 9pm!!). I would certainly encourage anybody to go to Medjumbe – it is probably Portuguese for “special paradise” !!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Thank you to Jason, Karen and all their staff for providing a memorable visit to Medjumbe. It's the perfect destination to unwind and take in the shear beauty of the turquoise sea and indulge in the amazing food and wine. In my opinion, the website does not do the Island justice, but then again perhaps Rani Resorts have done that deliberately, so guests have the wow factor on arrival.

Room Tip: Walk straight into the sea from all rooms
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Once you arrive at in Mozambique, you get whisked away on a charter plan to an island that is truly magical. The island is small and private . It is a perfect seclusion. There are no inhabitants on the Islands besides the staff at Medjumbe and some birds. Just you and the ocean. The welcome is amazing on arrival and the Staff are always on call to keep you throat quenched and you belly full. It was truly an amazing place to relax with the weather temperate perfect this time of the year. The water is always warm and the reef snorkeling was a beautiful. Its a must see :) I loved the privacy it had to offer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Staunton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The GREAT beach and the idyllic, remote location of Medjumbe Island would make it a wonderful vacation getaway under almost any conditions. Now, add in really good reef snorkeling, all-inclusive accommodations, a staff that wants to please, great food and a reasonable price - it just doesn't get much better!

Room Tip: Making a reservation here and paying for it without risking ID theft can be a challenge (think wire...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Gilroy, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Where to start. My husband and I were on Safari for a week and we couldn't wait to get to Medjumbe for some R&R. You fly in on a small aircraft and you can see from the windows the paradise that awaits you. Once the plane lands on the small airstrip you just walk over to the resort. I have never just walked to my final destination after a flight, so this begins the relaxation the moment you step on the Island. The manager got us all settled in and everything is so relaxed and peaceful. The only way to describe it just a place of peace and healing. If you can find a care in the world or think of your stress at Medjumbe then you need to keep seeing your therapist:)
Island: is small so you can walk around in like 30 mins. It took us longer because of all the amazing beach finds like the shells and the variety of crabs that run around. I read an earlier review of the garbage that washes up on the beach and yes there is some garbage but it by no means ruins the resort or effects your vacation in a direct way. I am not sure where the reader thought they could put all the garbage (since you are on an island in the middle of the ocean). The rooms are clean and they fill up your plunge pool and clean everyday. The beds are comfortable and the toiletries are nice and smell good. The sand is so soft and white. The water was turquoise and all shades in between. It is complete paradise. When we would take walks and they would end in the ocean it feels like you are at the end of the world. We meet a travel writer that said this island was just as great as Seychelles are something comparable because of just how private it is. My husband and I were just there with one other couple for days. It is so romantic and a great way to reconnect because there are not other distractions. We said around read books and played cards. The weather was perfect. There were clouds that you could see in the distance, but the island was sunny all day long, every day. We watched beautiful sunsets and even a sunrise

Activities: can keep you busy or you can just relax all day. I did stand up paddle boarding every day and we also kayaked around the island. It is all included in your package deal. We took the boat over to the private/remote island that the resort owns, where we had lunch and discovered the island. We went snorkeling which was really great! The different corals and fish are really amazing. The only downside was it was a bit rough that day, but still fun. We saw others take the boat to try water skiing and wake boarding. Your wish is there command.

Spa: Joanne was amazing! I went for a Swedish Massage on the first day we were there. I have not had a good Swedish Massage in like 10 years! Normally people just rub lotion on me, so I opt for the deep tissue. However! Joanne really understood what a Swedish Massage is. She combines massage with different pressure points and all sorts of feel good things. She is really healing and cares about your health and wellness. The morning we were to leave I really wanted to get a facial because we had a 48 hour trip home. She volunteered to get up super early to make sure that I could get the facial that day. It turned out we could do it a 8am, but I think she would have done it at 5am for me. The products that she used smelled amazing and my face was glowing once she was done. I was impressed how fresh I looked when I stepped off our last flight 48 hours after the fact. She is really the perfect person for the spa at Mejumbe.

The restaurant and service staff was amazing! We had lobster with every meal and the breakfast pastries are to die for. The staff was so friendly and helpful. You could always eat around the pool or head into the dinning area. The bar was stocked and they would make you specialized drinks. I really only drink wine, but my husband said all the drinks were good. They had an upstairs lounge that you could go upto after dinner or whenever and play games and hang out. We loved getting to bed early and just sleeping in.

If you are looking for a relaxing vacation this is your place. My husband and I travel all over the world and we always like our trips, but never seem to do the same one again because we want to see new things. We both agree that we would fly 48 hours to get back to just have one more day in Medjumbe.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Anantara Medjumbe Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!