“Incredible island” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Medjumbe Private Island

Save Saved
You added Medjumbe Private Island to your Saves list
Medjumbe Private Island
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Quirimbas Archipelago, Cabo Delgado Province 0000, Mozambique   |
Pamplona, Spain
“Incredible island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Medjumbe was a great positive surprise and I loved my stayed there. The island is incredible, extremely pretty with an amazing white sand beach which enlarges in low tide and gives amazing views of the ocean. Walking around the island allows you to discover its wonderful birds, crabs, the lighthouse or enjoy sunbathing. Sunset is great.

The sea is also great with cute coral small reefs easily accessible swimming when the tide is low. There are very nice coral reefs to go snorkelling in a short boat trip as well. One of the nicest I have seen after French Polynesia. I also went diving and the reef was indeed very nice (re some comments in diving, I am not such an expert but Medjumbe offers a very good diving experience with colourful reefs and fish). I also enjoyed seeing some dolphins in a boat trip.

One of the best things of Medjumbe is its staff which is incredibly helpful always with a smile in their face. The manager is also very helpful and discrete.

Rooms are simple, very comfortable and with a nice sea view. Food is amazing, sea food and fish is fresh from the day, lobsters and crayfish is incredible and I really enjoyed every single meal there.

Moreover, the island is a private location and tourism is not very developed in the area which means no tourists boats around. I would really recommend Medjumbe to everybody looking for a peaceful holidays in an incredible island.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

106 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Harare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

We went for a romantic break and enjoyed the privacy and the paradise the island has to offer. It is truly a beautiful spot, clean white sand beaches, azure sea and when the tide goes out you have miles of crystal clear water to walk..... the food was amazing - and if you love freshly caught seafood - you will be in heaven. The service is excellent and the staff friendly, helpful but not in your face. Enjoyed lazy days on our own private pool deck with the sea just metres away and lunch brought to us. Walked around the island - 40 minutes max.... the bungalows are luxurious inside, with a choice of showering under the stars or bathing inside -- a room with a view right to the horizon.... just magical. Ask for dinner on the beach in front of your bungalow one night - sand in your toes, the waves lapping close by...... We knew as we flew in ... we were going to land in paradise, and that it is!

Room Tip: Book bungalows on the opposite side to the Activity Centre so you are more likely to have total priv...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
cape town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

My partner and I have just returned from Medjumbe Private Island where we spent a week. This is definitely the most romantic place I have ever been to and I did not know that it was possible to find such natural unspoilt beauty. Firstly, just to let you know that LAM have bought a new aircraft and they were on time both going there and coming back!! (Apparently they have been blacklisted in Europe but they seem to have upped their game). The flight from Pemba to the island (around 40 minutes) was quite breathtaking as you could clearly see the different reef formations, the colour contrasts in the sea and the different islands. The individual units were beautiful - four poster bed with mosquito nets, ensuite bathroom with bath and shower and an outside shower. They are all on the beach and quite private. Each has a small private pool but there is a big pool outside the restaurant/bar area. The maximum number of guests is 26 which ensures that you don't feel that you are at a "resort" . The food was very good, beautiful seafood and very well prepared. All food has to be brought to the island. As the island is surrounded by a reef, the water is incredibly calm and at this time of the year the water is bath temperature. Bonus - no mosquitoes now, mosquito season is between June and September. We did some waterskiing - fantastic on the flat water, went on a sunset cruise to the nearby unpopulated island, wnet kayaking around the island - very safe, no currents, went snorkelling one day - the coral formations are beautiful and plentiful but the fishlife, although quite diverse, was very sparse. I have been to 2 mile reef near Vilancoulos much further south and that was like being in an aquarium - unbelievable. We didn't do scuba diving but new equipment had just arrived. Jamie runs the sports section there and we found him to be very accomodating and helpful. The shells are beautiful and we found some magnificent shells on the beach. The island is small, it takes only an hour to walk around it.
Tanya was the masseuse and she probably wrestled Minotaurs in a previous life! I say this as a compliment! She has unbelievably strong hands and gave the most wonderful massage. The knots just gave up, knew they had lost the battle....
All in all, I cannot recommend it highly enough if you want a romantic time-out in a beautiful place that will restore your soul.

Room Tip: The rooms are all on the beach, there are twin bed rooms as well as rooms with a kingsize bed.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

My wife and I spent long and hard looking for the perfect honeymoon destination. We finally, after long deliberation and research, decided on Rani's "Medjumbe Private Island".

All I can say is we made the right decision! Our 7nights, all inclusive package was definitely money well spent. You only have one honeymoon. You'll never have that time back. The trip to Medjumbe was everything and more than we had hoped for!

From the weather (obviously not guaranteed), the service (impecable), the accommodation, to the activities ("edge of reason" dive was one in a million), were a dream come true!

Victor (Island Manager), Billy (Activities manager) and the rest of the island staff were such a great team! They never missed a beat. When we arrived we were told to simply ask if we needed anything and due to my laptop charger being stolen (laptop brought purely to move photos and videos from devices) that statement was put to the test.

I ended up using the activities computer and even Billy's personal laptop to move photos and videos. The staff all really went out of their way to help us in every way.

The Island - Pictures and video will never do this magical place any justice! Seeing is truly believing. Though, believing wasn't always easy. It almost seemed too good to be true. We loved that at high tide the ocean lapped up the beach just five metres from our deck and that at low tide, we could walk out almost a kilometer, looking in all the pools left behind and seeing the island from a whole new perspective.

The snorkeling - was great! Lots of amazing coral and variety of fish life to enjoy. When we got back on the boat the crew would offer us a cold water or cold drink. Again, the service was out of this world and always with a smile.

The diving - Being an avid diver, I was really excited to dive this beautiful location and I wasn't disappointed :) One particular dive site "the edge of reason" (an advanced wall dive that drops off to 870m!) was life changing. HUGE variety of fish life. The corals, fans... Ah! I will remember that dive for as long as I live.

The food - Variety (Considering this is a remote island in Mozambique) and incredibly prepared. We had choice of chicken, steak, lamb chops and loads of seafood during our visit. The seafood though, is to die for. The chefs REALLY know what they are doing when it comes to crayfish :)

I could go on and on, but will end here. To ANYONE considering this as an option (especially you honeymooners) take my advice, JUST DO IT! I promise you won't regret it :)

Thanks again to Victor and his wonderful team - you made our honeymoon unbelievable!

Room Tip: Room 9 was amazing! Bigger deck that spreads out infront rather than to the sides. Room 14 is the mo...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011 via mobile

We came for our honeymoon. The flight from Pemba in the light airplane was spectacular. The accomodation was fantastic - private chalets on the beach with private pool, sun loungers. Staff were attentive, filling up the mini bar 3 times a day, collecting laundry twice a day and doing an evening "turn-down" of the beds.
Fishing from the beach was great - my new husband caught a barracuda just in front of our chalet. Food was incredible. Usually 3 dishes on offer, two of which are seafood. Even a non seafood lover like me enjoyed the fresh well prepared fish and seafood. The crayfish, which was usually available every nite were delicious.

• Stayed October 2011
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

I spent 10 days at Medjumbe Island resort (a private island off the coast in Northern Mozambique) in August, 2011. I am a relatively well travelled and experienced scuba diver and had come to Medjumbe specifically for scuba diving, which is being advertised as “some of the best in the world” and had spoken with Medjumbe representatives several times prior to arranging this trip. Unfortunately, while there were many nice aspects which I enjoyed there, scuba diving and snorkling was mediocre.

First the positive: Medjumbe is a small and charming private island located in Quirimbas Archipelago National Park in Northern Mozambique, which provides a feeling of total isolation. Multiple flight connections, including a small shore to island plane is required to get there. The beaches are wonderfull – mostly clear white sand and broken sea shells and the water around the island is a beautiful hues of turquoise blue. Hotel staff try to provide good service which exceeded my expectations for anything that I could have expected in Mozambique. The food was of good quality, often imaginative and changed every day. The chalets were small, rustic but comfortable and right-on the beach, just meters from the ocean. No televisions and very slow internet wifi in the lobby of the main building.

Now the negative. Unfortunately, much of the fish around the island, and perhaps around this area of Northern Mozambique is gone due to many years of overfishing. There are a couple small reefs around the island of relatively poor quality with very little fish to see while snorkling. Many of the snorkelers were therefore very disappointed.

I’ve arranged scuba diving at reefs further away including what is advertised as some of the best dive spots around Medjumbe, unfortunately we didn’t see much of any interest. A number of reefs closer to the island were destroyed by dynamite fishing. Even the areas further away - approximately 45 minite boat ride from the island, did not impress in terms of fauna. In terms of comparison, the scuba diving at Medjumbe was less interesting than in the Red Sea. I had also spoken with several scuba divers who stayed in the sister island – Matemo, and they also indicated that diving was not very good.

Moreover, the activities center which organises snorkling and scuba diving was managed incompetently. The activities manager – Jamie Lonsdale, was new to this area, young and inexperienced. Despite generally good weather conditions, most diving was intitially done at the same beginner level dive site close to the resort where there is a lot of dead coral and very little to see. I have had to plead to go elsewhere and after three days, Jamie took us to more interesting dive sites further away. However, something always went wrong on every trip. A resort regulator rented to one of the guests broke down, fortunately, above water. An oxygen pumping filter broke down on another day. One of the boat’s engines was broken for two days, so travelling between locations was very slow. Finally, Jamie lost his GPS navigator where he stored all the good dive locations around Medjumbe and so dropped us in the water, but often not where we were supposed to be. Generally diving is being done with small 10L cylinders, so the air lasts approximately 35 mintues at best and there is no NITROX.

So in summary, I would recommend Medjumbe as a beautiful beach destination, although a difficult one to get to. However, after spending a lot of time and money planning this trip and traveling there, the snorkling and scuba diving terribly disappointed.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to Medjumbe Private Island? Share your experiences!