“Terrible Filthy Room” 1 of 5 stars

Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #25 of 27 Hotels in Grand Forks
“Terrible Filthy Room”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

April27/2012 The room was so filthy mud all over the chair,mud in the air conditioner,garbage container had garbage that wasn't emptied.The carpet was stains in about 10 spots coming in the back door had a very bad musty smell that almost wanted to make you puke.The breakfast table to get your foot was only about 7 feet long were people were bumping into each other.I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anybody.Try the Ramada across the street 10 times better for the same price.Trying to sleep on the main floor was terrible you can hear people stomping the room above you,the only thing good about this hotel is that they have a flat screen tv.what this hotel needs is to have a better maid service and lessons how to clean a room, the room we stayed in was 183 beware. now i can see why the Holiday Inn sold out to this Howard and Johnson.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
beichsteadt, General Manager at Howard Johnson Grand Forks ND, responded to this review, May 6, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel! I am privileged to accommodate you and all our travelers while staying in Grand Forks! It's obvious we were not performing to our usual standards. You are correct- we are under new ownership and are working diligently to correct the neglect this property has suffered from the previous owners. It's from feedback like yours that allows us the opportunity to improve the quality and service of our hotel. Because I want every guest experience to be delightful at our hotel, I encourage everyone to share their concerns directly to me or one of my managers so that we may fix the problem right away. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you in the future.
Brendan Eichsteadt, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Stayed March 28-30, 2012, traveling with my Mothern and my teenage daughter. The only negative I have is that I wish I would have known it was a 2 story hotel before I arrived or I would have requested a ground floor room. The room itself was nice sized and the huge window offered a lot of natural light.
Other than that, the staff was more than pleasant and the continental breakfast was plentiful (but I wish it didn't end so early) I was there during Winnipeg, MB Canada's Spring Break (for schools) so it was quite hectic and even though I didn't personally have any issues, I did see other guests who did have some minor complaints. The hotel front desk staff I noticed handled everything very professionally and courteously. Next time I am there, would be more than happy to stay again

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
beichsteadt, General Manager at Howard Johnson Grand Forks ND, responded to this review, May 13, 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel, staff and amenities. I am pleased that your felt our staff were professional and cordial while handling guest concerns. As we continue to update and improve our property from obvious long-term neglect, it is my hope that we may exceed your expectations when you return to Grand Forks.
Brendan Eichsteadt, General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed at the Howard Johnson Hotel on Saturday the 20th. We stayed here for the rate, it was $109.99 a night because of the Powow.Check- in was fine, Lovely lobby! When we got to our room It had 2 queen sized beds, a chair with an ottomen, and a Flatscreen TV. The bathroom and the room was very clean. The waterpark was also a respectable size, it had a HUGE Hot-Tub, A playstructure that my kids enjoyed, and a big pool with a waterslide. I will stay here or Canad Inn when I am in the area.

Room Tip: Get a room that is on the 1st floor, no elevators.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
beichsteadt, General Manager at Howard Johnson Grand Forks ND, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Thank you for the recent review of your stay! That was a busy weekend for us! I am pleased that you found our amenities and services satisfactory. I can't wait to share your comments with our housekeeping staff, as we pride ourselves on our hotel cleanliness! If there is anything I can do for you when you return to the area, please contact me directly.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012 via mobile

Read lots of poor reviews yet thought I'd give it a shot for my kids' sake. First long line up at check in, no problem, it happens except that I didnt appreciate Theresa, manager sighing like, i am an inconvience. I'm a guest. Way to be proffesional under presure. Everyone in line was being patient. No need for that. Having worked at 5star hotel, first checked for bed bugs. Good. Second checked the sheets, found long black hair by pellow. Then kept checking, under sheet, small blood stand. Carpets nasty, recommend sandles. Water stands in ceiling tile, also near door to outside. Wall paper pealing at several spots. Toilet would not stop running. If this happened at my hotel, that room would be free for guest and shut down for repair. Only reason place was some what enjoyable was for pool. But even then, kids threw ball from hot tub into kids pool areal, and luckly hit an innocent adult and not her 1yr old girl. Pool boy laughed and gave a thumbs up. Never again. Howard Johnson must be a shamed of this location.

• Stayed April 2012
Nashville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

This hotel wasn't anything spectacular. The staff was cordial, and welcoming. Surprised by the rooms- very clean, new TVs and the pullout sofa was a great benefit. The pool area seemed to be under improvement at the time, and was closed. So I can't say much about that. Breakfast was what I would expect from a continental. Overall a decent and economical place to stay and would suggest these accommodations to friends if they were traveling for a similar purpose.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
We really do love our international guests, as well as accommodating our neighbors traveling across the border! I value your business and comments. Perhaps the next time you stay with us we will have some new and added choices on our complimentary continental breakfast. Stay with us every time you travel, as we are constantly changing, evolving and improving the way we take care of our guests!
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

My family and I stayed here for Easter 2012 weekend.

Hotel rates were reasonable with CAA membership. Hotel location is distant from the major shopping areas. Computers with wi-fi and a printer located in the lobby.

The staff were very friendly and answered our questions.

We were very happy to find out that our hotel room had a door to the parking lot. My husband has some mobility issues and it was much easier for him to get to the room. It also made bringing in our shopping bags much easier.

The hallways smelt like smoke. There were signs saying it was a non smoking section. As a non-smoker this was not pleasant.

Our room was clean, and it even had a new TV. It was a bit cramped with all the furniture. Personally I would get rid of the coffee table. The room had a desk, TV stand, Chair and Ottoman. As well as the two queen beds and bed side table. The beds were very soft and springy, they need to be replaced.

The pool area was fun for our boys (ages 3 & 8). There were plenty of seats and tables. The Pool area needs some TLC though. The floor needs to be scrubbed clean and painted. The pools need to be emptied and cleaned. The hot tub jets were not working during our stay. It was like big public lukewarm bath. Not pleasant at all.

The breakfast was average. There was a variety of breakfast items. (disappointed that no sugar free syrup was available). Food did not run out, as we have seen in other hotels.
The staff in the breakfast area were trying to keep people to a certain section of the restaurant for the free breakfast. There should have been signs on the tables saying "reserved" for the tables she did not want anyone to use, or the area should have been roped off. I found it a bit rude for her to keep shooing people away.

Overall good stay, but nothing spectacular.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 177
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
As the new General Manager (of only 2 weeks), I had the exact same first impression. I come from Madison, Wisconsin where the smoking ban is law- no smoking allowed in rooms, period. Those signs outside claiming this property to be "smoke free" are coming down. We do offer smoking rooms (only on one side of the building, away from our non-smoking rooms). My hotel does have a lot of potential, and I can assure you that I will be working diligently, together with my managers and staff, to address your concerns and make our hotel THE BEST hotel to stay when traveling to or thru Grand Forks!
Regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

We stayed at the Howard Johnson for the Elton John concert, and we had a good time.The Check-In was Ok, but the staff were very freindly people. When we got to our rooms, it had about a 42" flatscreen, 4 nice sized pillows on each bed, and Duvet Covers. We were facing the waterpark, but we heard no noise. At 6pm we went ate at thier resteraunt Azur before we went to the 7pm show , And it was great food.The next mornig we went to the breakfast, but their were to many people, so we decided to go to ihop.I would reccomend this place for others, and we are looking forward to staying at the Howard Johnson next time we are in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
beichsteadt, General Manager at Howard Johnson Grand Forks ND, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our property! Although it's obvious that our hotel has lots of opportunity, I am pleased to tell you that we are under new managment and are making positive changes. Thank you for your feedback, as it will help us to be a better place to stay when you come back to visit!
Brendan Eichsteadt

Been to Howard Johnson Grand Forks ND? Share your experiences!