“Oasis in the Shopping District” 4 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3051 32nd Avenue South, Grand Forks, ND 58201   |
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Grand Forks
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Winnipeg, Canada
“Oasis in the Shopping District”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

We stayed for a weekend away and to do some shopping. This hotel was in the perfect location being close to (basically right across from) Columbia Mall as well as just down the street from Lowe's, Menards, and numerous other shops in walking distance.

The rooms were an adequate size, with a large plasma TV and a huge number of channels to watch. There was also a microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker, which was very convenient, though it could have done with a little closet and another night table on the other side of the bed. The bathroom was huge, as we didn't have the jacuzzi suite, though the room was the same size, we noticed. We loved the feather bed topper and the down duvet. It was the best night's sleep I had in months - sure sign we need a new bed. Also, we had an outside facing room and found it to be very quiet. I'm not sure if the inside would be better or worse for that.

The center courtyard was an oasis of rocks and waterfalls separating the 4 hot tubs. At the far end, there was a pool and another hot tub in a separate enclosure. We had no trouble getting a hot tub to ourselves for a while before bed. It was quite relaxing. It was very humid in here, however, so I'm not sure if this might have an effect on the rooms facing into it. I found it quite noticeable in the hallway when we came in from outside. The pool area closed at 11pm though I didn't find it at all noisy when we were there, though this would be something to keep in mind if you had an inside room.

The breakfast was much like I'd experienced elsewhere: there was a small corner where you could make your own waffles, toast/bagels and offered flavored "cappuccino" (from a machine), coffee, tea and juice to drink. There were also an assortment of pastries, muffins, fruit and cereals to choose from. My only issue was that it was too small for the number of people using it, particularly from 9-9:30am, just before they shut it down, so the wait to get coffee or use the toaster was somewhat excessive. You may be best to get up early and get what you need as soon as they start serving to avoid this. Also, this was right in the center atrium so seating was the patio table and chairs around the hot tubs. Not the most comfortable environment. We chose to take the food back to the room the second morning.

The shower did have an adjustment to change the type of spray but I didn't really find one that would do a good job rinsing shampoo out of my long hair. This, along with the fact there is no fan in the bathroom, is a common issue with staying in hotels.

But overall, we had a very comfortable stay in a convenient location.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Manitoba, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

Booked this property for a 3 night stay to take in the area's shopping. We had a King room but would have preferred a double Queen, but the King was all that was available to us at the time of booking. The room is definitely on the small side...almost too small actually. Might be okay for two people, but with three it felt crowded. We asked for a cot for our son at the time of booking but when we arrived he found the leather recliner so comfy, he ended up spending three nights on it! This was a good thing as we couldn't figure out where to put a cot in that room if he opted to go that route, as its square footage couldn't possibly have accomodated a cot. The bed was so comfy...loved that bed. Nice to have a microwave for those late evening popcorn cravings and a small coffee maker was an added touch for an early morning brew. For those that wish to shop for groceries, the fridge is ample and has a decent sized freezer for those much-needed ice packs to take your groceries home in your cooler or for small frozen items you might pick up along the way. The Rusk products in the bath are quite lovely, but we were without a third towel each day, but can understand the housekeeping staff probably assumed we were a party of two...not three with a King bed. It just made for a quick trip to the front desk to ask for an additional towel; not a big deal whatsoever. We did find a bloodstain on the bed coverlet and left a message in our room with the coverlet folded up beside it to say that we had found that on arrival but to our dismay, the housekeeping staff opted to flip the coverlet to hid the bloodstain instead of replacing it or having it washed...gross! We just removed it each night. On travels we opt to tip housekeeping staff for great service, but it didn't make a difference at this property. As it was Spring Break for Manitobans, the pool and 5 hot tubs were crowded with kids, so we went once and that was pretty much it. The furnishings have been updated and the laz-e-boy leather chair was apparently real comfy. The 42" TV's above the credenza are a nice touch but the Wi-Fi advertised was on the fritz the last two days we were there. We would go again, but would book a second floor room as they have little balconies with outdoor furniture. Each of the inside rooms have them as well but I would imagine it would be quite noisy on the outside rooms with the kids, hot tubs and pool adjacent to those rooms. There is a continental breakfast from 6:30 - 9:30 but it was so packed...the lineups to make Belgian waffles were lengthy, so we opted for the fruit and cereal and took it back to our room and made coffee there. No tea for those that enjoy a wee cuppa in your room...so best bring your own. Two packets of coffee; one regular and one decaf are in the room and if you want creamers, best get them from the breakfast bar and store in your fridge as the rooms only have a powdered creamer in the coffee basket. All in all for a hotel in GF's for a shopping excursion this property is just fine...the beds would be what brings us back as they rocked for comfort but as far as price for value received...ummm not sure as we paid top dollar for this time of year of which we certainly could have found a property for far less elsewhere but thankfully that bed solified the value albeit it was a very small room for a King.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

Stayed at C'mon Inn for shopping trip. Stayed there 3 yrs ago rooms have been nicely updated. Had a 2nd floor room with balcony so had a liile privacy as compared to main floor, two queen beds and a new LG plasma TV. There is a small pool which is 5 ft at the deepest part, great for kids.There are several hot tubs throughout the courtyard. The hotel is located close to shopping and restaurants. Overall a good value for a family.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

Really nice place. However, the night manager, Michael, left me with a negative experience. If he was not there, I would recommend this hotel.

We went to pull out the sofa bed for my father to sleep on and there was a candy bar wrapper tucked away in the sheets. It was obvious by the accompanying crumbs that the bed hadn't been checked. The room was clean but on a superficial level.

I called the night manager, Michael, asking for a fresh set of sheets, explaining that the cleanliness of the sofa bed had been overlooked. He came to the room and took the wrapper away and said: "There ya go!". I said again that we needed new bedding because there were crumbs too and that my father couldn't sleep here because it was inappropriate. He hand-swept the crumbs into his pocket and looked at me and said in a mocking tone: "There! I even put the crumbs in my pocket!" I said: "That's not good enough" we need new bedding

So he grabbed the bedding he had brought with him and proceeded to sweep the remainder of the crumbs on the floor and started to make the bed anew. And then I said: "That really wasn't necessary." He stood up tall and defiant and looked down on me and said: "What?" I said: " You didn't have to tell me that you 'even put the crumbs in your pocket, that's being very rude".

He said: "I'm not rude" and didn't give me an apology. I was really upset at this stage and said: "That's okay, I'll finish making the bed" as I didn't appreciate his presence and his bed-making skills left much to be desired. He shouted: "I'll finish making the bed!" I said: "I rather you didn't and I'm asking you to leave our room". He then stood up and yelled in my face: "I'm going to finish the job I came here to do!!!". I said to him: "Unless you're planning on paying for part of this room then you are not a guest here and this is our room, please leave now!" To my surprise, he started to cry and left really angrily and in a huff.

This was to date the most unprofessional behaviour I have ever seen from any hotel staff and I have traveled the world. It left us all feeling upset just before going to bed and with a memory I'd rather not have.

The room was great (apart from the attention to cleanliness detail) and there was a nice breakfast with waffles included in the deal. The hot tubs in the main area have the look of being clean, but after sitting at a table with family for a couple of hours one evening, it's clear that each hot tub gets used by 11 or more couples before being emptied and cleaned. Yuk! I would not go in them.

Too bad about management!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Saskatchewan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

This was our second trip to Grand Forks and we picked this hotel because of its location. I loved the decore of the rooms, the hot tubs and the comfy beds. On a negative note: we were woken in the morning by the beeping of the waffle maker(6:30) and were very upset that management had not allocated another staff member to handle the breakfast area (front desk staff had to do it) and therefore things ran out and people were waiting. If you want to pay extra for a nice atmosphere and great location this is the place to stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
BRANDON
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

We booked and paid for adjoining rooms 3 weeks before we went to Grand Forks with friends. When we arrived only 1 room was ready and we were told adjoining rooms weren't available. Our friends took the room that was ready and we waited for the other room. Our room was not very clean...microwave,coffee pot, soap dish and toilet bowel were dirty. We had to phone the front desk to ask for a top sheet for the bed! We asked front desk to have the room cleaned the next morning and complained about being on complete opposite ends of the hotel from our friends. They said they would clean the room but there were no adjoining rooms available when we booked three weeks prior. When we checked out the next morning and got our receipts.....the original room booked was crossed off the receipt and a new one written in its place....it wouldn't have been that big of deal if they hadn't lied to us, but, the uncleanliness was not excusable for $130.00 a night!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Regina, Saskatchewan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

Great hotel! Clean and updated. The pools/hot tubs were great. Loved the continental breakfast. My only complaint would be no elevator. My mom has arthritis and it was difficult taking the luggage up and down the stairs.

Regina traveller

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to C'mon Inn - Grand Forks? Share your experiences!