“Nice and Clean.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Knife & Cleaver

You added The Knife & Cleaver to your Saves list
The Knife & Cleaver
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Grove, Houghton Conquest, Bedford MK45 3LA, England   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Nice and Clean.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

The rooms here are lovley and some of the cleanest ive ever stayed in.
Me, my dad and his wife Sandra stayed here the night before i got married we stayed for a meal and some drinks before retiring to the rooms across from the Restaurant as ive already said the rooms are realy nice and clean with nice linen and soft towels.....:)
the owners Graham and Terry togeather with the staff have and are doing an amazing job with both the Restaurant and the hotel. Keep up the good work :):):)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Graham R, Owner at The Knife & Cleaver, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Cleanliness is next to godliness.
Thanks for taking time & writing your review.
Graham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
weymouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We were looking for somewhere near Bedford for a few days to visit friends - and quite by chance came upon the website for the Knife and Cleaver that mentioned that all accommodation was ground floor level - which my husband prefers - and it had many good reviews. From when we arrived the staff were friendly and attentive - our room - a superior double - number 1 - was obviously recently refurbished (as I believe all the rooms are) to a very high standard with a comfortable kingsize bed and there was a large shower cubicle in the ensuite - all spotlessly clean. It looked like a great deal of thought had been put into the decor - both in the bedroom and in the pub and restaurant - even the gardens are immaculate.
Breakfast was good, with everything cooked to order - and the lady that served us at breakfast each morning was lovely - nothing was too much trouble. We also had all our evening meals in the restaurant - again all the staff were excellent and the food was extremely good. We would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this to anyone looking for either accommodation or just a meal, in this area.

Room Tip: Room 1 is nearest the pub and car park, and also the church - and you can hear the church clock chim...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Midweek and week-ends theres lots to do & we loved having you stay
Thanks
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I have visited here many time now and thought it was about time to leave a review!
My last visit was for my birthday lunch on August 10th!

The restaurant is fantastic for special occasions and I have enjoyed many family get together here! However I tend to sit in the bar area and have the bar menu - which is great for a more casual lunch and the food is still excellent!

I have to say that the (posh) fish finger sandwich is the yummiest thing ever! Myself my dad AND my nan thoroughly enjoyed it! My bf opted for the salt beef and horse radish baguette and he also really enjoyed his lunch.

The owners are always friendly and the staff are really lovely and polite!

The building and outside areas are very pretty and you can see a lot of love has gone into this place!

We need more places like this locally!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Great review thanks
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We have driven past the sign for the K&C a hundred times and had never paid it much mind, but Bank Holiday Monday after a very entertaining day we decided on a whim to have a look instead of another pub/restaurant further down the A6 we were heading for.

I walked into this immaculately presented premises with no preconceived ideas (never heard of the place), dressed in a scruffy pair of jeans, tshirt and a baseball cap - I thought they would throw us out and probably wouldn't have blamed them (although my wife did look fantastic as normal). As we stood there umming and ahhing one of the owners (sorry I didn't catch your name) offered us three menu's, invited us to have a peruse with a drink in the bar while we decided what we wanted

It was 3pm ish on a Monday afternoon so I wasn't really expecting that much but I was starving, everything looked fantastic and for ease we ordered off the table d'hôte

The service was impeccable even when I was a pain and asked to move tables (the original table was nicer, bigger, in the sun and my reason for moving was stupid but they still happily moved us). The decor was fantastic, My roast beef was perfect as well as being a generous portion, The Chocolate & Hazelnut Mousse Cake was an experience I hope to repeat soon, although my wife's trifle looked pretty tempting and it was good enough for her to refuse sharing any of it with me.

I am not a food expert, I just like nice food but in no-way could I tell you if the pasture that the cow ate its last mouthful of grass was south or north facing, I'm not fussed if my roast potatoes grew in organically correct compost or mud in a field next to a motorway. I do know that our time here ensured that the brilliant day we were having just got better, the food was brilliant (sorry I sounded so surprised on the day but there really are some places within easy driving distance that are all mouth and no trousers), the coffee excellent, we were made to feel welcome by the owner and the staff even if I did look like stig of the dump, I will happily recommend it to my far better dressed friends and will be returning again (Sorry).

We enjoyed it so much I thought I would actually write my first review - I will now go out and invest in some superlatives :)

Room Tip: didn't stay - only ate there
Suprise Suprise.
Thanks so much for your report.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We were greeted by friendly staff and made to feel very welcome. Had a wonderful lunch sitting on the terrace. Our little westie accompanied us and she was treated like a princess she had her own garden to use when needed and was given treats, lucky girl.
The next morning we had overslept and realised we had missed our breakfast, we were pleasantly surprised when staff wondering if we were okay offered to make breakfast, without any fuss a table was laid and we were soon sitting down to hot toast, cereal and delicious coffee.
In the evening we settled down on the terrace to have our evening meal when it began to rain staff said this was not a problem and we could have it in our room. A little while later two waitresses knocked on our door and our meal was laid out for us.
Our overall experience was that we were made to feel extremely welcome and a big thank you to all the staff and a big woof from Tilly for making our time at The Knife and Cleaver so special.

Room Tip: If you have a dog and wish to take them with you Tilly would like to say she was treated with kindne...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
THanks for being a great paitent!!
Thanks for the review
Kos
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed here as we were going to a gig at wrest house. What a find. It was a charming place. The staff were very friendly and attentive. The bar, restaurant and rooms were decorated a a very high standard as we're the grounds. Breakfast was worth the wait although not sure why we had to wait so long for breakfast it was delicious. My only compliant would be the pillows they were rock hard so next time I will take my own :-)

Great having you stay.
Thanks
Ely Cambrideshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

My Husband and I spent two nights mid-week break at this Hotel. We arrived at 1pm but were told we couldn't get into out room till 4pm unless we paid an extra £5. As we were going to have lunch and a drink we didn't mind it was a lovely day, but if you go keep this in mind.

The room was very nice as was the bar and restaurant very clean. We had our dinner in the restaurant on our first evening and we were given a bottle of red house wine which was very nice.
I personally felt the meals were very expensive but the food was ok. Staff were very friendly.

On the second day we booked to go to the Milton Keynes Theatre to see a show, we saw Dreamboats and Petticoats and what a show it was. Amazing. All around the theatre area was quite a few resturants which weren't cheap, probably because of it being the theatre area, but still cheaper than The Knife and Cleaver.

All in all a nice break.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 5 also called the Banana Room unsure why. But it took you past the garden and outd...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for your review.
Graham

Been to The Knife & Cleaver? Share your experiences!