“Surprise! Surprise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Taste of Italy at the Avalon - CLOSED

Taste of Italy at the Avalon
613 1st Avenue North, Fargo, ND 58102 (Formerly Stella's)
(701) 365-0608
Dining options: Reservations
white bear lake, MN USA
“Surprise! Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

We were traveling back to the Twin Cities from celebrating Xmas with family in Grand Forks. We were looking for a nicer restaurant to try in Fargo on the way back for lunch. My brother-in-law from Fargo recommended "A Taste of Itay" so we tried it despite the fact that the brother-in-law is also a season ticket holder for the Bison. First of all we were blown away by the beautiful interior of the restaurant. Very charming and full of historical character. The service was prompt and polite. But the real star was the food. I had the pasta primavera and loved it. I especially enjoyed the vegetables including beets which I usually would never eat. But the beets were magnicient. The sauces of the vegetqables combined to provide a wonderful sauce. My wife and daughters all ordered the sandwich and soup and all three loved their meals as well. Oh yeah I almost forgot (give me a break I am 51) the waitress brought over a basket of hot italian bread that you ripped a chunk off and... more »We were traveling back to the Twin Cities from celebrating Xmas with family in Grand Forks. We were looking for a nicer restaurant to try in Fargo on the way back for lunch. My brother-in-law from Fargo recommended "A Taste of Itay" so we tried it despite the fact that the brother-in-law is also a season ticket holder for the Bison. First of all we were blown away by the beautiful interior of the restaurant. Very charming and full of historical character. The service was prompt and polite. But the real star was the food. I had the pasta primavera and loved it. I especially enjoyed the vegetables including beets which I usually would never eat. But the beets were magnicient. The sauces of the vegetqables combined to provide a wonderful sauce. My wife and daughters all ordered the sandwich and soup and all three loved their meals as well. Oh yeah I almost forgot (give me a break I am 51) the waitress brought over a basket of hot italian bread that you ripped a chunk off and dipped it into a variety of flavored olive and vinegars. All 4 of us give "A Taste of Italy" are highest recommendation and just wish it was located in the Twin Cities preferably White Bear Lake! We all agreed that we found out "resting spot" when traveling through Fargo! Go Gophers!

Visited December 2011

Fargo, North Dakota, United States
“Utterly Amazing now that they are in the Avalon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

We came very close to closing and our food was spectacular. The seafood was fresher than most fo the sushi in fargo. The service was great and we will certainly be back. If you haven't been there since they moved to the avalon, you are missing some of the best food in Fargo.

Visited November 2011
Moorhead, Minnesota
“Different than I expected. Miss a lot of my favorites.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Taste of Italy moved from one location to across the street so My Mom and I decided to try it out at the new location. Love the staff... always smiling... always friendly. The new location is AWESOME and they have done well with the space to make you feel comfortable. It was a bit chilly when we went and wish I would have brought a sweater. With this move the menu changed.... A LOT of my favorites are gone... the menu has shrank to about a 3rd of the size.

We started out with the artichoke dip which was amazing! The bread is still the same from the old place... and I LOVE THAT BREAD! They have a great wine list to appeal to anyone.. I had the riesling. At the old place you received a salad before your meal. This is no longer. Which kind of bums me out because the salad was a nice addition to the whole experience. I had the new Manicotti. It was OK. Had way too many peas in it for my liking but it was still good. My Mom had the Spaghetti and Meatballs and that was still very good and refreshing with the big tomato chunks in it!

We had a nice and relaxing evening and enjoyed everything. Just wish some of the favorites would come back!!!

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fargo, North Dakota
“Absolutlie Wonderful.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

My husband and I came for our first time. We loved everything about it,the waitress was terrific..the owner came a and pulled up a chair and chatted with us. He then asked us to follow him, and he showed us around. The food, delicious..My husband who is Italian had the Lasagna (sp) and LOVED it..I had the salmon, I am Cherokee and am enjoying learning to
try new things. I found out what Capers are. Anybody who did not walk away pleased obviously were only looking for something to be unhappy about. Thank you Stanely for a wonderful evening at your charming restuarant.

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fargo
“Will not be back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I came to this restaurant with a friend of mine because we had a coupon and thought we'd give a new restaurant a try. The atmosphere was cute. It is a smaller/narrow restaurant with Italian theme. The service was great as we were greeted with smiles from everyone we encountered. The service itself was great.

The bread they served was crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Each table had oil and balsamic vinegar for dipping. My friend had the chicken gorgenzola which she was quite pleased. She asked to substitute the sauce from red to cream and was told there would be a "slight upcharge" which turned out to be a $5.00 difference. Most restaurants do the substitution at no additional cost, so it was a shock to see a $5.00 upcharge ont he bill. My friend had a glass of wine which was served to her in a juice glass!!! This is just wrong on so many levels.

I had the lasagna as I figured that it's always a safe bet. Let me start out by saying that I am not a picky person. Most of my meals go from the freezer to the microwave, so it doesn't take too much to please me. However, this lasagna was just not tasty. There were large stewed tomatoes throughout the dish. The dish itself had little meat and at the bottom of the dish was too soup-y. Despite this, the taste itself wasn't SO bad but if I had to pick again I'd rather eat chef boyardee than eat another lasagna dish.

This place is a bit more price-y than other places that we have offered to us in the FM area. I am sorry to write a bad review, but hopefully they accept this as constructive feedback.

• Visited September 2011