“Great Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Arbuckle Lodge

Save Saved
You added Arbuckle Lodge to your Saves list
Arbuckle Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4325 23rd Avenue South, Fargo, ND 58103 (Formerly Settle Inn & Suites Fargo)   |
Special Price
$10 off King Suite
Ranked #13 of 45 hotels in Fargo
Osseo
“Great Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Arbuckle Lodge which formally was called the Settle Inn. It is a privately owned motel. Great service, excellent large rooms, continental breakfast is awesome. Pool area is great if you have small children. I have older children so they don't swim as much. The spa was nice. The Lodge is very clean, rooms, hallways, bathrooms. dining area. Rooms have 10 ft ceilings and are large. Cuts out the noise level if their is any. Also allow pets at a nominal fee.

Room Tip: Very friendly staff. We came in late at night without booking a room in advance. They accommodated...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
ArbuckleLodge, Manager at Arbuckle Lodge, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Hi SusanG

Thank you so much for your review! We are glad you enjoyed the spacious rooms and the amenities that we offer here at the Arbuckle Lodge. We hope that you are back in the Fargo area that you stay with us again.

Thanks again for the Arbuckle Lodge team.

217 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Boulder, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed at the hotel the nights of May 4-6. Several other reviewers have made points that I agree with. Here's my take:

Wonderful comfortable bed. I think the bedding was nicer than the Embassy Suites that I had visited the night before - high-quality but softer. I slept well.

Free wifi that worked well. It was a tad slow, but I've had worse hotel wifi experiences elsewhere.

Large and well-appointed room. Maybe my room was a different configuration from the reviewer who thought the room was under-decorated. My room was large (two queen beds) but I thought the furnishings were just fine, with a desk, plenty of storage space, and a nice wide bathroom countertop to spread out all my things. The closet contained an iron and ironing board, which I didn't need but it's good to have just in case. A micro-fridge and microwave were also in the room. The room was underlit, as are nearly all hotels I've visited.

Pool. This would be a "plus" to anyone with kids - it looked like a really fun, kid-friendly pool - but unfortunately parents at the hotel were not controlling their feral children, and since we were on the first floor the kids were constantly RUNNING back and forth down the hall to the pool and to wherever else they were going. I really don't fault the hotel for this - I fault the parents of those kids - but if you don't have kids maybe you should ask for a room that's away from the pool.

Home-made bread at breakfast! It's from a bread-maker but I don't care - both the white and the wheat breads were really good. Moist and tasty. Kudos to the staff for thinking to offer that!

I'm pretty picky about my coffee and the reviewer who described the machine was accurate. However, I didn't think the coffee was OK, I didn't think it was worth drinking at all. And speaking of breakfast, it is so odd that they have no scrambled eggs on weekend mornings - only hard-boiled eggs (from Costco?) as a protein. Maybe I'm weird but eating a pre-peeled hard boiled egg just doesn't appeal to me. I had two weekday breakfasts that included scrambled eggs, and they were very good. (They also serve a meat on weekdays, but I'm vegetarian.)

All in all I think the Arbuckle Lodge has the feel of a much nicer hotel than its "pay grade." I would happily stay there again (after making sure I'd be staying in a non-pool-hallway room).

Room Tip: If you have kids, stay near the awesome pool. If not, away, away! :-)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
ArbuckleLodge, General Manager at Arbuckle Lodge, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Arbuckle Lodge Fargo. Your detailed review is very much appreciated. We hope to see you back soon!
Oakes, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed with you on Friday night and can not find one thing that we would do differently. Not only did we love our suite, but we had also reserved the conference room to host a get together for our daughter's college graduation. Everyone that was there and all of the family that spent the night were extremely pleased. The kids had a blast in the pool. The staff was wonderful and the manager-Michelle- was a joy to work with. I would recommend your Lodge to anyone traveling and our Saturday a.m. breakfast was good also.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
First of all, congratulations on your daughter’s graduation! It is great to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are looking forward to your next visit!
Bismarck
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed at the Arbuckle on a Saturday night recently. We had two queen beds that were very comfortable and the room was a very nice size to move around in. The hotel was very clean and the breakfast they offered was better than most. The pool area was nice if you have little one's but for us a tad small. My only real complaint is the hot tub was just luke warm at best and that is one of our favorite perks while traveling so that was a bit of a let down. They also had express check out which saves you time when checking out in the morning.

Hello Waverunner45

Thank you for choosing our hotel and sharing your experience. We are glad you enjoyed our property and the spacious rooms. We apologize for the temperature of the hot tub, we keep it set to the City of Fargo standards but let us know in the future and maybe we can make an adjustment.

Thanks again for chooses us and we hope to see you soon!
Bismarck, ND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

The Arbuckle Lodge in Fargo is a newer hotel. The pool area is great for kids and the hot tub is a nice size for adults. Breakfast was good with biscuits, gravy, omelets, sausage, fruit, cereal, and various other things. They had sloppy joes with chips at 5:30. The sloppy joes were a nice surprise after traveling and not being quite ready to go out to eat. I don't know if the evening snack is standard, but was a nice bonus the evening we arrived. The rooms are spacious (we were upgraded to a King Suite) and bed was comfy. We were there on a weekday so there were not many kids, not sure if it would be noisy on a weekend. There was a neat welcome card on the bed (preprinted), but the words went beyond what you normally see at a hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was great to have you here. Our guest reception is usually held every Monday through Thursday at around 5:30 pm. Thank you so much for taking the time to give us a review. We hope to see you back soon!
Winnipeg, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed at the hotel Friday to Sunday. Our first impression was that the hotel was tidy and the staff was friendly. The rooms are large and clean but don't really have all that much in them. It was like they ran out of money for furnishings...we had a standard room with a king bed so I was expecting that it might have a sitting area or table but it had niether just an arm chair and desk with a very cheap desk chair. The fridge is very small but was helpful for keeping beverages cold...it wouldn't fit much more. Given that the hotel sells itself as a bit more upscale I was expected more out of the room....the high ceilings were nice but in a largely empty room all they did was provide for a nice echo.

The "deluxe" breakfast is nothing special. On the weekends the only warm items are biscuits and gravy and waffles. The gravy was pretty cold both mornings and the biscuits weren't that good even for free hotel food. The other items are your standard continental breakfast foods. I am not sure how they come up with the 30 items they claim on thier website. The so-called "fresh" coffee is not really "coffee" but a concentrated syrup type drink that is dispensed from a soda type machine that mixes it with hot water...I've tasted worse so for hotel coffee it was not bad. However one morning I witnessed the staff changing the concentrated stuff in the machine and it was dispensing decaf from both spouts!

The worst part of the stay was the noise level in the hotel. Their were kids running up and down the halls at all hours of the day. The poor construction of the hotel means that your hear everything in the hall and footsteps from the room above were very noisy. There were kids running around at 2:30 AM followed by door knocking and then a women scolding voice. Combined with the noise from the ice machine we didn't get a good nights sleep. The pool was nice but was too busy to take small children.

Finally the parking was not adequate. After leaving for diner and coming back the lot was full both nights...we were able to find parking since someone was leaving at the same time but others had to park on the street or wherever they could cram their vehicle.

Overall I would say that given the price of the rooms the value is very poor.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ArbuckleLodge, General Manager at Arbuckle Lodge, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Arbuckle Lodge and taking the time to write such a detailed review. I am so sorry to hear you had a sleepless night with us. I do hope that you brought this to our attention when you stayed and we were able to correct what we could. I appreciate your comments on our breakfast on the weekends. We have heard your comments and are looking at a couple things to add to the breakfast on weekends! I would be happy to discuss your stay with us in further detail. Please feel free to contact me at anytime.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

It was just OK. For the price, I would look at alternatives. I was really annoyed that the pool was closed for 5 days but was not disclosed on their website when I booked a room for that same night. The room is spacious but fan on heat/air was really loud and turned off/on every 15 minutes. Rooms have microwave and refrigerator. Fairly clean hotel. Staff was nice. Breakfast was typical free hotel food (waffles, pre-made omelets with cheese slices, sausage, muffins.) Maybe I had a bad attitude in general after being duped into booking without being able to use amenities I paid for...kids were disappointed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us at the Arbuckle Lodge and taking the time to write us a review. Our pool was closed due to repairs that had to be done that week. We also tried to inform everyone by making courtesy calls to any of the reservations that had a phone number on file. I am deeply sorry that you were not informed. We will look into announcing such information on our website. As for our heat/air conditioner units, they are set on automatic, which allows the unit to adjust whenever the temperature goes below or above the set temperature. Your comments are extremely helpful and we appreciate them very much. I would be happy to discuss your stay with us in further detail. Please feel free to contact me at anytime.

Been to Arbuckle Lodge? Share your experiences!