“Don't stay if you want to sleep” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #30 of 46 Hotels in Fargo
Fargo, North Dakota
“Don't stay if you want to sleep”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

I am NOT happy, after spending $198 to stay 1 night on New Year's Eve with my boys we were rushed into our rooms at the strike of midnight (in total our group had 4 rooms rented this night...all parents with children) YET it seemed to be OK for a younger crew to be out roaming the halls, drinking and carring on very loudly until after 2:30am....keeping my children awake! The rooms were pretty nice,but the cleaning of the bathroom leaves ALOT to be desired...gross!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
FARGOHI, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fargo, responded to this review, January 4, 2011
Lanu,

I can certainly understand your disappointment with our hotel. My apologies for the lack of follow through and lack of concern demonstrated by our staff. It is our goal to provide a clean, comfortable and worry free experience to each of our guests. If we fall short, we should demonstrate concern, compassion and a desire to resolve the problem beyond your expectations. I am sorry that we were unable to deliver on some of the most basic requests. We share each of these comments with our entire staff in order to avoid these issue from repeating, so I appreciate your honesty. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly to see it there is a possibility of regaining your trust in our hotel.

Please feel free to contact the hotel directly and ask to speak to the General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Manitoba, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

From the beginning our stay was awful. Our room key would only work once, maybe twice. We went down to the front desk 3 times the first day to get the cards replaced. By the 4th time of a card not working, I was very frustrated as I was using a cane and it was not easy to walk there. They suggested that I should have called but how could I when my key would not open my door?

We were on the main floor next to an exit door which was very busy and noisy. We pre-ordered and paid extra for a fridge which was not there on arrival. We had to ask for it and it was delivered while we were getting our groceries. The staffperson plugged in the microwave instead of the fridge so the fridge was warm.

Finally on the second day, a manager personally came to our room and that was the first time that anyone showed any empathy or concern for our situation. The maintenance person was really helpful but could not figure out why the keys would not work beyond one or two uses.

At night, other guests were very loud until 1:00a.m. and the hotel security was never around.

To make up for the problems, we were given a free breakfast. We ordered room service and received the wrong order. The delivery guy was apologetic and promised to fix it right away. The second order was still wrong! The food was good but not what we ordered.

It was so bad that we were given one night free. When we got our bill under our door, there was no discount so I had to hobble down to the front desk and wait a long time for them to find a manager to confirm we were to have one night free. I had to relay our story yet again.

There was a lot of sitting area around the pool which was nice as we were with a large group. Others in our group had no problems. Clearly, we had the LEMON room!

That weekend, half of our family stayed at the Holiday Inn Express with another group and had a fabulous stay. We had a great stay at the Staybridge in Fargo previously.

You could not pay us to stay at the Holiday Inn, Fargo again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

I was stuck in Fargo on my own with a vehicle in the shop a young child and a baby, and trying to head home to Canada in between two snowstorms. Hotel staff totally understood my situation - they were perfectly situated close to the mall; shuttle service was great - they even had a car seat for the baby and space for the stroller (uncollapsed), and very prompt. The pool area was fantastic for my older child and hotel staff were very friendly to all of us. Food in the hotel was good and well priced. I was most impressed by the fact that we checked out on our second day at about 6pm when we were able to pick up our vehicle and they only charged me for one night (no late fees or anything). THank-you for your hospitality and I would certainly stay again!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Southern Manitoba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

My wife and I, along with my parent and my brother's family (including 2 young boys) stayed at this hotel in November. Rooms were booked through the Holiday Inn toll free line.
The property itself is not new in any way new but it's it's been kept updated and the rooms we had on the 2nd floor of the property all featured newer decor and were a very good size. The poolside suites seem to be a little bit older in decorations, but in very good shape. The hotels drawing card is their atrium area with a mid-size pool and a pirate themed play area including a pirate ship with a total of 4 water slides coming off of it. There is also a hot tub in the pool area and lots of tables and chairs around the pool and just outside of the immediate pool area. Two ping pong tables, a pool table and air hockey table are also located in this area. Another feature of this hotel is the poolside bar which features cold drinks, and Domino's Pizza. It's also licensed for beer, cocktails etc. The hotel was a max. capacity while we were there and mostly full of families using the pool area for. We also noticed several birthday parties taking place in this area. It's a little loud for visiting, but if you have kids, they will enjoy the pool. There is no continental breakfast but there is a restaraunt on site that serves buffet breakfast and lunch on the weekends (Kids Eat Free) and there is a lounge/casino on site as well. Our room did not have a microwave or a fridge but the poolside rooms did. As I mentioned it's not a new property anymore but it's been maintained and it has a large pool area. One other thing to mention is that anytime I would be walking through the halls and I would come across a service employee/chamber maid etc. everyone one of the employees stopped, smiled and greeted me. It's a good option in Fargo, especially for families/groups.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

Very disappointing experience. I stayed two nights during the week for business. This hotel consists of a newer section and an older section. The older section is just awful -- probably built in the 70's or 80's. The rooms were superficially updated with new beds and curtains, but old bathrooms and fixtures. The entire section smelled very musty. I have asthma and am bothered by musty smells, so I asked to be switched to a new room in the new section the second night, which was not a problem. The front desk staff was very nice and polite and able to accommodate my request without a problem.

I checked into my new room the second day and was unpacking my things when I overheard what I assume to be a house keeping manager in the hallway (the walls and doors are paper thin with no sound buffering at all) complaining about how some of the staff left for other duties before really cleaning all of the rooms. She knocked on my door to check my room, but was surprised when I answered and said sorry to bother you and moved on. She never actually checked my room to see if it was cleaned properly.

Needless to say, I will not be staying there ever again. The Holiday Inn Express, just across the parking lot, is MUCH nicer. I would have stayed there, but there were sold out the dates I was in town.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Fargo, North Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

I had a not so friendly encounter with the Restaurant manager Amanda Houston. As a former server I know that food can take awhile to be made when it is busy so the server may have been busy, I would say there was about 6 tables and 2 servers. NO one greeted my table or got us drinks. Once someone did notice us they were rude. We came because the night before we heard that there was a great buffet at lunch from our server and the manger Angela Jaskens the night before. By the way the service at night was above expectations and the food was to die for. The server was very attentive and busy and the manager was always walking around in case she was needed. Now back to my lunch experience, after we finally got waited on we choose the buffet. After going up once we were happy because the food was great but then we went to go up again and the buffet was gone and all the tables around us were being transformed to the way it looked last night. We didn't know if we should stay or go. We asked our server if the restaurant was closing she said just this section. My husband asks, "so that’s it the food is gone what kind of buffet is that?" She said I'm sorry I thought I told you we were closing the buffet. The waitress was very sorry and even offered to get us some food in back. She hurried away and that's when Amanda came out rudely saying to her waitress that no they can't it's too late and it’s time for them to leave lunch is over. I'm sorry but this is rude and we were standing right there. As we were leaving we decided to say something to management. My husband approached her and began to tell her what happened. She a little busy, wasn’t even paying attention to us for most of the conversation, but we didn't want this to happen to anyone else so he told her what happened. All she said was that she was happy that we had a great experience the previous evening and maybe we should come earlier next time. As I walked out I grabbed a business card, it said Day Restaurant Manger, which explains the way things are taken care of, and there are two managers. I will never eat at the restaurant again unless it is at night. At least the night staff and manager will treat their guests’ right. As far as the rest of the hotel, this hotel makes you feel like home anywhere else in it besides the daytime in the restaurant.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
FARGOHI, Manager at Holiday Inn Fargo, responded to this review, December 1, 2010
Thank you for your feed back, it is only when our guests provide me with this type of information that I can make improvements with myself and my staff. I apologize for your experience and the service level you and your husband received, it is not acceptable or up to the standards of our restaurant. I am truly sorry for the attitude you felt from me personally, we pride ourselves on word of mouth and repeat business and recognize that if we do not take care of each and everyone of our guests we will slowly lose them all. I understand your concern in returning and receiving sub par service, however I would welcome the opportunity to serve you and your family and show you that our day and evening service levels are equal and each shift provides exceptional service regardless of the time of day. I have sent you a personal message with my contact information, please feel free to contact me directly to further discuss this matter.

Amanda
Winnipeg, Manitoba
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

We've traveled to Fargo many times and have had wonderful stays at other hotels, AmericInn, Quality Inn, and Ramada. We stayed at the Holiday Inn for the Pirate Ship pool for our young son and because we found what seemed to be a good online deal. Our first room smelled of heavy smoke in the hall and the room was so heavily sprayed down with Febreze it gave you an instant headache. The carpet was sticky and although on sight it looked O.K. once you were in it you knew something was very wrong. They immediately switched our room which was great but we were put in the tower which would appear to have some structural issues. Our floor was so slanted it was crazy and there was a huge crack in the ceiling running the full length of the room. Although recently renovated the hotel still feels dated. Rooms are small with a musty smell. Pool area seemed O.K. but water is murky and heavily chlorinated. For the regular price you would expect a lot more. There are no fridges and microwaves which for the cost there should be. Overall a busy, noisy, already run down place that we will never return to.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Fargo? Share your experiences!