“Waste of Money” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 45 hotels in Fargo
Melrose
“Waste of Money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Our family stayed here for our Grandmother's funeral. We drove 7 hours. We looked on-line for a hotel with a pool for our 2 young children to play in. The pool was so small and packed that we were afraid for our kids to play for fear of them getting hurt. All we really wanted was a quiet room to rest in after the funeral. Instead we were put next to the "party" room. After contacting the front desk at 1:30 a.m. to complain, they sent up 3 security guards who told them they needed to close the door because it was too noisy in the hallway. What about MY room? Nothing else was said and the security guards never came back. The people next door continued to be noisy, yelling and slamming doors until 4:30 a.m. We left the next morning and never looked back - didn't even go down to the front desk. Why bother? They didn't take care of the problem the first time. For what we paid, it was a waste of money. We will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
ShawnH22, Manager at Holiday Inn Fargo, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
I'm sorry to hear about your Grandmother. Please accept our condolences. I also want to apologize for a less than exceptional experience. It's obvious that we fell short in making sure that your stay was a good experience. Our goal has always been to make sure our guests are happy during the course of their stay and that they leave happy as well. I assure you we will take your comments and try to improve in the areas noted. We can only hope that you give us another chance on your next visit to Fargo. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Sincerely, Shawn Hagen ~ Assistant General Manager

176 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Grand Forks, North Dakota, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Fargo over Christmas. Check in personell were preoccupied and no friendly greeting. The room was poolside which we thought would be convenient for access, the room and bathroom were very cold, the bathroom was soo cold they brought us a portable heater which had broken rods in it(safety hazard), called front desk and they laughed and said theirs also had broken rods, they brought a new heater. The pool area was so cold, guests and bartenders were all wearing long sleeves and coats. I again called front desk to have the heat turned up so we could swim. They said they would notify maintenance. Next morning, still cold in pool area, called front desk again and they said the heaters dont work out in the pool area?! So they gave us a coupon for a free breakfast @ 11:00 am , which we didn't utilize as we had already ate breakfast. Big huge fail for a $135.00 a night hotel. I am very disappointed in the quality of service and amenities of this hotel and would'nt recommend to anyone. I will be spreading this far and wide.

• Stayed December 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Fargo, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Lisa S,

Thank you for your review and your recent stay with us. We are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience and disappointment you had with the poor service you received and with our facilities. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Winnipeg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We arrived late and had a quick dinner, which was ok except for the REALLY LOUD live band playing in the lounge. Our room, while clean, was dated and the beds were hard and we could feel the springs on the sides. The hot tub was closed, as in there is a deck built over it. The option to use the hot tub in the HI Express was there, involving crossing the parking lot. Fine in July, not so much November. We froze all night, as the heater made a loud buzzing dying harmonica sound that we couldn't sleep with. We were too tired to switch rooms.

The next morning we asked to check out a day early and switch to the HI Express. The manager was very nice, and discounted our stay by a third. She ordered maintenance to the room right away, and wished us well at the other hotel. All the staff, from the restaurant to the pool to front desk, were very friendly.

The pool area is huge, with slides appropriate for kids under 10. There is an enormous common area with ping-pong, cards, games, etc. Great for families, not great for adults looking for peace and quiet.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
ShawnH22, Manager at Holiday Inn Fargo, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at our hotel. I'd like to apologize that everything didn't go as you had hoped. I certainly understand that on the weekends our pool area does get busy and the noise from playing kids can be quite loud. Fortunately we are a very large hotel, so we do typically have options to get those who may not be traveling with children farther away from that area. Obviously during the week, we don't have as many travelers with children, so the noise level is greatly reduced in the hotel. We have updated just about all of our heating units in the hotel over the last two years, so it disturbs me that you had a heating issue in your room. I'm sorry for that as well as the lack of a hottub. We are in the development stages of replacing that hottub with a brand new and larger hottub that should be up and running by the Spring. We do hope you give our hotel another try soon and thanks again for letting us know about your stay. Sincerely, Shawn Hagen ~ Assistant General Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Fargo for one night. It was really good. Very very clean. The staff were nice and accommodating. I needed to take the shuttle the morning I checked out and they waited for me to finish my breakfast!!! The breakfast was delicious by the way (not free though!). I cannot comment on the value as I was invited. I thought the location was convinent but I didn't need to use any public transportation. I would stay here next time I visit.

• Stayed November 2012
It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We are fortunate to have long term staff that understand the concepts of customer service. Thank you for taking the time to tell about your experience at the Holiday Inn of Fargo. Hope to see you again soon. Shawn Hagen ~ Assistant General Manager
Homer Glen, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I have stayed at many Holiday Inn's over the years. Lately they have mostly been Holiday Inn Express. While this hotel is an older Holidome type model, it is well maintained and service friendly. My room was very well decorated and quiet. First rate flat screen tv with ample tv choices. This hotel excels in quality of food, almost approaching gourmet. I had breakfast there every day. The company I worked with ate lunch at the buffet or off the menu. Every meal was outstanding from the sweet potato soup to prime rib, steaks, and reuben sandwiches. The soups were similiar to a rich bisque. The hotel is directly across the street from a shopping mall, and just about every restaurant type that I can find in Chicago. A treat to stay there, and kudos to the staff and security when I had a rowdy group of neighbors at 2:00 am! Thanks to all.

Room Tip: The hotel is spread out and some rooms are considerably farther away from the lobby, restaurants, et...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Your kind words are greatly appreciated and we look forward to your coming back to Fargo. We will continue to try to create great meal experiences in our restaurant. Thanks again, Shawn Hagen ~ Assistant General Manager
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed here this past week while in Fargo on Business. Another large and older Holiday Inn property with indoor "Holidome" area. Overall stay was ok but the price is higher than it should be ($129). There are many newer lodging choices nearby. I'd rate this location higher if the price were $100 or less. Rooms are clean, TV's are newer and beds are comfortable. Bathrooms are very small but clean and shower has good pressure. Lounge is "ok" and I'll say the wait staff is pretty friendly. Ate breakfast in the restaurant which again thought was "pricey". For the rate they charge, I believe there are newer, better choices in Fargo.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade first and foremost. Then ask for a room closer to the lobby if you plan to visit...
Bismarck, North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Have stayed here several times over the last couple of years. Although it somewhat older they work hard to keep it well maintained. This time proved no exception. Room was comfortable, room service was timely, experience was good. Only complaint is that I am tired of hotels that talk about being green and then they don't follow through.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ShawnH22, Manager at Holiday Inn Fargo, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Glenn, Thank you for taking the time to give a review of our hotel. Your kind words are appreciated. In your comment, you had indicated that perhaps we could be better at trying to be a "Green" hotel. We have several program initiatives in place such as recycling aluminum, plastic, cardboard and several others that we have been working hard at over the last couple years. We've also dedicated our hotel to reducing electricity usage thru our lighting initiatives as well as really working at reducing water consumption without hindering the guests needs. If you read this comment, I would love to have you give me a call to let me know some of your ideas to help us be a better community partner by being more Eco Conscious. Sincerely, Shawn Hagen ~ Assistant General Manager | Office Phone: 701-277-7322

Been to Holiday Inn Fargo? Share your experiences!