“Poor customer service” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Dickinson
Denver, Colorado
“Poor customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I was really disappointed in my stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Dickinson. When I arrived the room I had booked online was "bumped" because apparently unless you make the reservation with the front desk directly you are last on the list. I made my reservation online so the King bedroom I booked wasn't available. The worst part of the stay though was the total lack of attention toward customer service from the front desk in the evening. I must have entered and left the hotel 3 times one evening and wasn't greeted once. The young woman up front was too engrossed in her book to bother i guess. Each time this person was working she was reading a book. Made me really uncomforable because shouldn't the front desk person keep an eye on who is coming and leaving the hotel???
The day staff seems to be much better, but that's probably because management is around during the day.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dickinson, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear CB_222333,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I would like to apologize for the unacceptable service you received during your stay. I am also sorry for the issues you had with your room accommodations. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We had driven from Illinois to the pacific northwest, staying in multiple holiday inn express properties over a 16 day trip. On the way back to Illinois we stayed in Dickinson, North Dakota. We were paying about $113 to $115 while out west (even in the Seatte area and Portland area); We were shocked to have to pay $164.25 for a room in Dickinson, ND. I am a priority club member, AAA, AARP, and past military, and showed them my previous receipts; they would not move on price; that I can even understand BUT the room was unacceptable for that price. It was not to the current standards of HIE; it had extremely outdated furniture, couch, bed, carpeting and bathroom. We stay at HIE because we depend on each property to look the same (though the lobby and breakfast areas did look updated). We were told that we would have a view overlooking the pool; our view was a metal spiral staircase with rust on the walls and the opening of a water tube. I don't care what oil boom is going on in North Dakota. I could get a better room in downtown Chicago for that price. The front desk had an attitude of take it or leave it-that other hotels in the area would charge us more. The choice was ours but after a 12 hour day of travel we didn't feel like shopping around; ultimately our fault; we knew the price upon check in and we accepted it; not worth the price!.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dickinson, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear lt11111111,

Thank you for submitting your review of our hotel. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide rates that are competitive in the area. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Lera M
IHGCare
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I have to credit Tiffaney at the front desk for the great welcome we received when we checked into the HIE West Dickinson, ND on the afternoon of August 6, 2012. She took great care of my family. We had tried to check in earlier before mid-day and no rooms were ready. I asked about the potential to upgrade to a suite so that we didn't need to lug in an air mattress, and Tiffaney said that no suites were available. I asked her to please see if there was anything she could do for us before we get back from Theodore Roosevelt National Park later in the day, and she said she'd try. When we checked in we not only got a suite, but there was a sheet naming me Priority Club Member of the Day with a plate of "Sweets to sweeten our day". It was a great touch! My kids then checked out the pool only to find out that they had a water slide that was a lot of fun. My wife and I were surprised by how fast the waterslide got you going and how shaken up you got on it. It was great! My kids, who are usually kept very quiet in hotel pool areas, were so excited and enjoyed it so much they couldn't be stopped from hooting and hollering. We all had a lot of fun. The room was great and it was a huge help that Tiffaney helped us get the larger room. It was our 37th day on the road and was just so nice to have a comfortable clean room. Thank you Tiffaney!!! Great job!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Nice newer hotel a bit spendy for a 3 bed room, pool and slide were fun for the kids, breakfast was a good filler up for the road More plush then we needed, within walking distance of good restaurants and a good Pentacostal church nearby too

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
San Rafael, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I would give this hotel a Very Good rating if it were not for the high price; our room was clean and the bed comfortable. The kids in our group loved the pool with slide, and the staff was very accommodating when we asked if we could eat our take-out chicken in the breakfast room. The dryer coin mechanism in the laundry room was not working properly, and the front desk clerk gladly did whatever was needed to fix it. Breakfast was good with lots of choices.

The lobby space was spacious and comfortable, with a big fireplace (not being used, of course, since it was 90 degree outside). I am not a fan of the sort of faux-luxury decor here, but that is personal preference. But I do expect more when one room costs more than $175, even when the hotel can expect to fill its rooms every night with oil workers.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dickinson, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear margie1928,

Thank you for your stay and leaving us feedback. We are pleased you like our comfortable rooms. breakfast options, facilities and accommodating hotel staff. We strive to make sure every guest has a wonderful experience here and greatly appreciate the feedback if they don't. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and we strive to provide competitive rates within the area. I am deeply sorry you found our room prices less than satisfactory. I have noted you valuable comments and I will make sure that this will be looked into and be forwarded to the departments involved. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We look forward to welcoming you back in order to provide you with great hotel experience.

Zelyn N
IHG Care
Depew NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I give this hotel 5 stars for the "little" things they do to make you feel welcomed. From the homemade cookies in the lobby, the great variety at the free breakfast buffet, and the delightful bedside poem with Hershey kisses each night. The rooms are a perfect size and the bath is wonderful with LOTS of counter space. We also liked the choice of pillows. We traveled from NY and feel the price is comparable to other hotels we have stayed at with less "attention to detail". The staff is friendly and the location very convenient. Don't hesitate to consider this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Olathe, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We were visiting my husbands elderly parents. The oil boom in the area has really effected the laid back feeling Dickinson used to have. The small town pride and feel are a thing of the past. Makes me sad for this community. It was nearly impossible to get a room for the week and then we paid $160.00 a night. The water in the shower would go cold and hot while I showered, and I could hear the people above us walking and "using" the restroom. The air conditioner either froze us or not run an then we were hot. The room was clean, and cleaning staff very friendly. Breakfast is pretty decent.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dickinson? Share your experiences!