“Declining -- currently average” 3 of 5 stars

Kelly Inn Bismarck
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1800 12th Street North, Bismarck, ND 58501   |
Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in Bismarck
Minot, North Dakota
“Declining -- currently average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

There was a time when Kelly Inn Bismarck was a place that everyone wanted to stay, and when you told someone that that was your hotel, their comment was always, "Nice."

Not so much anymore. From the minute you walk into the hotel to check in, the place feels old, outdated, and unwelcoming. The physical facilities are adequate but very, very rough around the edges. There are scuffs and scratches and dents and dings everywhere. It's the kind of place you feel like -- and know -- that hasn't been cleaned very well. You just know that the corners are full of dust balls, lint, etc. The cleanliness of my room was ok, but it's shabby and, again, rough around the edges. The bed, however, was comfortable. The bathroom is disastrous with a toilet that is crooked, a toilet lid that doesn't fit, and a less than pristine shower. Human hair is prevalent in the bathroom, and unless I have long hair (I don't), it's not mine.

The door to my room doesn't work well. My electronic key unlocks the door, but the door won't open. When I find a maid to help me, she informs me that I must push down on the door handle as well, as the the door sticks. This was especially annoying when I returned to my room with my hands full and had to drop all the stuff on the floor to be able to open the door. I do not understand why, if this is a known problem with this door, this has not been fixed.

Everyone is friendly -- a bonus. But more attention should be paid to the uniforms. The employees are wearing ill-fitting, messy smocks and shirts. From the front desk manager to the guy vacuuming the lobby, they all look like they slept in their clothes.

All of this might be acceptable, but for the price. I paid what seemed like a lot of money. I paid a price that indicated to me that I was going to find the Kelly Inn Bismarck of yesteryear. Alas, no.

I think you could find an equal or better room for less money at another hotel where the light is left on or at a very close hotel that is "super."

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Matthew H, Corporate Trainer at Kelly Inn Bismarck, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Thank you taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us here in Bismarck. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Thank for the information you gave in regards to the condition in which you found your room and bathroom. I am very sorry for this, I will make sure to be speaking with our Executive Housekeeper about these items. I am glad that the staff was friendly. I will have a discussion with them about the condition of their uniforms. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
eugene
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Super friendly staff. Rooms could use some updating but the bed was very comfortable. Did not eat in the restaurant because it was closed for 4th of July. Very quiet room and air conditioner worked great. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review about our hotel. I am glad to read that the room was quiet and the air conditioner worked great. Thank you for the kind words about our staff I will make sure to pass them along. We do appreciate all comments and suggestions that we get from our guests so we can improve our hotel. We all look forward to the next time you stop in Bismarck.
Minnesota City, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Rooms are outdated and in need of repair/updating. Handicap room was roomy enough, however all the fixtures (sink and shower) leaked. Other than the outlets in the bathroom, there are only two electrical outlets in the entire room, and the light fixtures are plugged into half of the available outlets. While the extra deep mattresses may be desired by some, they make transfers into bed from a wheelchair much more difficult (height differences). The hallways in this hotel are the biggest problem. They added ramps in the interior hallways to eliminate steps to be somewhat ADA compliant. However, those ramps are so short and steep that it was nearly impossible to go from a wheelchair accessible room to the front desk! To top it off, the heater/air conditioner unit was partially broken (falling off the wall, and the adjustment knob was missing). Front desk staff was less than sympathetic when informed of the problems and concerns.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel if you are in a wheelchair
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us here at the Kelly Inn Bismarck. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Thank you for letting us know about the leaking shower and sink fixtures, I will verify with our maintenance department that these items have been addressed. I am sorry that you did not enjoy our mattress and found it difficult to get into. We do get a lot of compliments on our beds but I can appreciate why you did not enjoy it. I am very sorry that our desk staff was not sympathetic when you let us know about the condition of the air conditioner and others problems you had during your stay. I will be spending some time with them on how to handle guest concerns. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

I booked a room and not pleased. Moisture due to humidity and the fan would not shut off. Coll came moved my room after inspection and all.was great. The bar staff was awesome, I'm sorry not to tell you who it was, but very good. Coll couldn't be a better employee! THE FOOD GOOD! GREAT STOP FOR STAY AND FOOD FOR YELLOWSTONE!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay at one of our Kelly Inns. I am sorry that you were not pleased with the first room you had been assigned but I am glad that Cole was able to rectify the situation. Thank you for the kind words about him, I will make sure to pass them along. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed the restaurant and bar. We look forward to the next time you stay with one of our Kelly Inns.
Pierre, South Dakota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stayed here over the weekend of March 15th...what a mistake. I booked our room through their website for three persons. We are a family of three - my wife and I, along with our 12 year old son. The options presented at booking were a one king room or a one queen room. Since I was being honest and upfront as to how many persons I was putting into the room, I ASSUMED that the rooms offered would accommodate that number. It seemed fair to me to assume that if they offer the room for three, their must also be a sofa or something in the room...big mistake. Upon check in we were given our keys and proceeded to our assigned room. Upon entry, I ASSUMED that we had been assigned an incorrect room as the cracker box didn't have space for a third person. Honestly, this room was the smallest motel room I have ever seen. I went back to the desk where the young man informed me that the room assigned was correct. I was then informed that the room is NOT for three persons. My next thought was that maybe I did make a mistake and book for two persons. I revisited their website and was still offered this room for three. I was then told that it was an error with their website then and that they'd make sure it was fixed. Ok, so what would the solution be? A roll-away?...a different room?...an additional room? No - a blanket and pillow for the floor. Oh, they did offer a second room - AT A RATE HIGHER THAN I PAID FOR THE FIRST ROOM! (This was supposedly the managers solution by phone.) What a joke! I can forgive an issue here and there...they happen - but make some effort to remedy to the best of your ability...and if it is a problem that can be easily remedied for the future, by all means get it taken care of. Although I was not a happy camper I decided I would give them a chance to remedy the booking issue and not add to the poor reviews. But as of today, over a month later, their website is offering the same king or queen rooms for FOUR ADULTS! SHAME ON YOU!

Room Tip: Stay at a different motel.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us here at the Kelly Inn Bismarck. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. I am sorry for the confusion in what would exactly be in your room and that it did not accommodate three people and that we could not offer a better solution. I will review these items with our staff. I will also be looking into the website to verify and rectify how many guests are allowed in the rooms. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.
Holland, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

I was placed here by the business I was working for. I asked for a quiet room and got one facing the busy street! First, ask for a room far from the very busy street. You will hear every bad car muffler as you are trying to sleep. The room is nice enough. Wifi works well. Lighting is dim and awkward. I hope I can get back to sleep! Also, I got here in the mid-afternoon hoping to swim and soak, but the pool and hot tub are out of order.

Room Tip: Away from the highway.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dawn K, Regional Director at Kelly Inn Bismarck, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
I would like to thank you for your review and feedback on our property. We always take our guest's concerns seriously and try to learn from them. We have recently taken down the wall vinyl in all of our first floor rooms and painted, which should help with some of the lighting issues. We have also done some renovating and repairs to our pool area and I am sorry the pool and hot tub were closed during your stay. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future and enjoy some of the changes we have made.
Fargo, North Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

walls are paper thin, doors do not open and stick, drunk party in hall for 1/2 hour due to door, progressed into next room and drove us out by 1:30
No help from front desk or security, lame excuse that they were not aware of the noise. Odd that they did admit to helping the group with the stuck door.

Management contacted next day promised compensation on the room, yet billed us full price.
Never stay here the service and noise are terrible.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Kelly Inn Bismarck? Share your experiences!