“Great German Food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: German
Bismarck, North Dakota
“Great German Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

It was cold and rainy this weekend so we were trying to find something to warm the soul. We drove by Nibbles & Brunch and found the Knefla soup was amazing. We ordered a whole gallon and enjoyed throughout the weekend. Highly recommend as a homestyle cafe.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Bismarck, North Dakota
“Nice little local place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Went here with some family from out of town...we didn't want to eat at a chain restaurant. So we found this in the phone book and tried it out. It is a little hard to find if you don't know Bismarck well. The service was good and the food was ok, except for their soup! The borscht (don't' know how to spell it) is amazing!

Visited October 2011
ND
“Hole in the wall”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

This place is a hole in the wall. A small place with a picnic/ grandma decor. No frills here. I had the cheese buttons, which were great and also the homemade kuchen. My husband had a wrap and said it was good. The waitresses were always cleaning and quickly took away our plate sand asked if were doing okay. I just wish they would lower their prices a bit as it as hole in wall. It was $9 for 2 cheese buttons and they served me can corn in a tiny paper cup with it...kinda cheap. I would go again just for the cheese buttons and kuchen but nothing else.

• Visited January 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Comfort food made with butter and love”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011 via mobile

Food representative of the ethnicity of the area-German Russian. Excellently prepared. Quaint atmosphere no nonsense.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Anacortes, Washington
“Just not delicious.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

Wow. This was a real disappointment. People seem to have had great experiences here, but ours was the exception. Yes, this place is a hole in the wall. No big deal. We walked in and were instructed to seat ourselves. The two women working the front seemed very friendly, but were incredibly slow actually getting our drinks and food orders. Actually, they never took my drink order, or my husbands. They brought us water and then asked what the kids would like to drink. Then ten minutes later, brought back my daughter's chocolate milk.

We finally ordered and then it took over a half hour to get our food. There were only 3 tables sat in the restaurant - and the other two had come in long after we did (and ate before we did also). We both had soup, and my husband ordered the cheese buttons and I ordered the steak, which the server blamed for the wait. No way does a medium 8oz. steak take over 30 minutes to cook.

Still, we had high hopes it would all be worth the wait, since the soup we had gotten was VERY good. It wasn't. The cheese buttons were basically giant raviolis with a cheese and butter sauce, with buttery breadcrumbs on top. Sounds good on paper, but in reality it was like eating melted butter with a spoon. Way too greasy, and not much flavor. My steak was cooked medium, but the marinade on it tasted off. The shrimp that came with it were swimming in a bowl of melted butter. Now, I've got nothing against butter, but this was just too much.

All in all, it was a very heavy meal that left me feeling queasy after just a few bites, and it didn't even taste that good. Maybe it's a regional thing.

• Visited December 2011