“In Bismarck; really! Yes!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Peoria, Illinois
“In Bismarck; really! Yes!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

After reading multiple, rave reviews and looking over the menu, we had to schedule an overnight in Bismarck on our way to Glacier. We were not disappointed.

Started the evening with a bottle of Domaine Chandon, appropriately priced at $28. Our wait person promptly returned with the sparkling and we had a toast.

For a starter I choice the Soup of the Day, a cup of gazpacho. Spicy and tasty. Nancy had the Roasted beet and goat cheese salad. Beets are roasted and then diced. Foundation of beets, layer of goat cheese, topped by more beets and molded into a stack.
Nancy chose the medallions of North Dakota bison served with a light bordelaise sauce and roasted barley pilaf. Tasted both the medallions (medium rare) and pilaf - very, very good.

My entree was the sautéed sea scallops with fenugreek, cream curry sauce & jasmine rice. Five medium sized scallops were arranged on a bed of fenugreek leaves and bathed in the cream curry sauce. Jasmine rice tastefully mounded in the middle of the bowl. The curry sauce was flavorful and the spices complemented the rice and scallops without overpowering.

For dessert we chose the Chocolate & Pecan Terrine with Vanilla Sauce, and the special - Peach & Cherry Crisp. The Terrine is Very rich and chocolatey; almost overpowering. Would like either more vanilla sauce or vanilla ice cream. One slice would be plenty.
Cherry and peach are not fruits I would have chosen to mix. But,it works and works magically. Really, really good; vanilla ice cream on top, yum.

Only one observation to add: by the time we had our sparkling wine poured the starters arrived. Time to enjoy the wine and some pre dinner conversation was lacking. Same timing between starter and entree. Would have liked additional time to savor the superb dishes.

Pirogue was Excellent. Would be successful in Chicago or New York.
My compliments to the chef, the kitchen staff he has assembled, wait staff and hostess.
Everybody worked together to provide us with a perfect evening.
Thank you!

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Madison
“Service, atmosphere are great. Food okay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

The atmosphere is wonderful, especially if you are celebrating a special occasion. It is nice and quiet and the service is great.

The food is just okay. I had the salmon with pumpkin relish. The salmon filet was fine but I was not a fan of the pumpkin relish. It was bitter. My husband loved his swordfish. The portions are actually what a portion is supposed to be so it's not too filling. The best part were the vegetables actually.

It's great for an anniversary or something similar but I expected the food to be amazing. I would go back again and try another entrée.

It should also be noted that this is the only restaurant in Bismarck not to have a single health code violation in the last 4 years. Yay for their cleanliness!

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tucson, Arizona
“Delightful surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Special brunch for reunion group at Pirogue Grille was a wonderful event. Simply scrumptious food, great service and a warm and friendly environment made this a wonderful capstone to a great get together. It will be a Bismarck fave in the future!

Visited June 2014
Sioux City, Iowa
“Amazing meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

This is the second time I have visited thus restaurant while in Bismarck for business and once again I couldn't have been happier with the experience. The service is impeccable- very friendly and attentive staff who are knowledgeable about the offerings and can make recommendations. The food is fantastic! The first time I had sea scallops which to my pleasant surprise were done correctly (and not overdone like many Midwest restaurants do) and tonight the Parmesan crusted trout which was wonderful! I love the atmosphere- lots of character but simply elegant. As a female dining alone, I felt very comfortable in the surroundings.

“Great atmosphere and service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

The food wasn't had, however I did expect more quality for the price range. The atmosphere was awesome as well as the service.

• Visited May 2014