“North Dakota Nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Bismarck
Wisconsin
“North Dakota Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

An overnight trip to North Dakota on business had me take 1804 from BIS out to the Super 8 on Capitol Ave. A smaller aged hotel in a convenient area far enough away from the major roads for a nice quiet night's sleep. Several restaurants are nearby some within walking distance. A significant number of older hotels are poorly maintained and dirty, but this one was well maintained and clean in the areas I visited. I did notice some remnant smoke smell in the building but nothing I couldn't ignore. The room I had was plenty large and came with the typical accouterments like a coffee maker, hair dryer, safe large enough for a laptop, micro, fridge, and a wall HVAC unit that's a little noisy. There was no iron in the room, but they have one at the desk with a portable ironing board that was hard to work with. The building is a split level so the third floor is just a flight and a half of stairs and the outside doors are card access. Public PC for printing boarding passed. The free breakfast was nice with lots of bread products (cereal, waffles, bread, muffins) and half a dozen drink options. Breakfast room is a little tight but not too bad. Parking is great for trucks (smaller than semis). A man named Kelley (sp) was at the desk when I checked in and he was extremely helpful and friendly to everyone. Checking out I also noticed how nice and helpful the staff was. I'd stay at this Super 8 again, good accommodations for the price.

Room Tip: Get one that has always been designated non-smoking otherwise there seems to be some remnant smoke s...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

The first indication of questionable behavior was when our credit card was charged two days before our arrival. We were then placed in a lower floor room at the extreme end of the hallway next to the exit and stairs. The exit door had been tampered with and would not lock out intruders.
We were awaken at or about 12:30 am by squeaking floors and feet tamping from the floor above us. The squeaks indicated poor construction, loose floor boards or the like. We called the night manager asking for relief. He, in turn, agreed to check. The noise continued until approximated 2:15 am before settling. Creaking and Croaking like a "Haunted House" making sleep impossible.
The next morning I asked to speak to management only to be told no one was available. When attempting to lodge a complaint, the desk clerk told me noise was impossible as the room above us had not been occupied. This was even more offensive since when we went in to the hotel, signs were posted on the door and at the desk stating there was "No Vacancy".

We are veteran travelers and normally stay at Super 8. This is definitely one to stay away from.

Room Tip: Take the third floor and stay away from the rear exits.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Our stay was 4 nights with a black lab. There is no place for a pet to use the restroom, you have to walk down the street. The property was VERY dirty, cigarettes and trash piled up in the NW corner of the parking lot. Fridge in our room did not work properly, and when I told the front desk, all I got was... OK. I do not feel the need to pay a "pet fee" for a place like this. I will not come back here. Very disappointing.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This is the first review I have written regarding the condition of a motel. However, I rely on Trip advisor reviews to choose a motel so, I'm going to be writing more reviews to help other travelers. We have stayed at several Super 8 motels and this Super 8 motel experience was the worst. The door lock was broken. The top screw holding the lock in place was 1/2 out of the door jam. And, when we opened the bed to go to sleep, we found a dirty bandage dressing and band aid in the bed. Obviously, the bed sheets had not been changed from the previous guests. I called the front desk and a gentleman came to change the sheets. The sad news is that he didn't make one comment about the situation; no apology or acknowledgement of a totally unacceptable service problem. The next morning the front desk did offer an apology and adjusted our room cost. They credited us $25 for the inconvenience. A room in disrepair, no immediate apology and dirty sheets was only worth $25 to this particular Super 8. There are several reasonably priced motels in the Bismarck area. I would highly suggest not choosing the Bismarck Super 8.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Havre, Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Overnight stay on a Motor cycle trip. I had made reservations which was good cause the place was full when I got in, through a hellish rain storm and was soaked and tired. Check in was good no issues and the price was good with Military discount..staff at desk was friendly and helpful..room was standard Super - 8 style...clean and batroom was clean..the hall noise was very loud around door..and you could hear through walls..other than that ok..and a so so breakfast bar nothing extra...I was a little disappointed on return trip a week later, called ahead for reservation and was told same room would be 94.00 plus tax..which was quite a bit higher than the week before, clerk also said was not giving Military discount because of softball Tournaments in town?? I thought that was kind of lame excuse..Anyway went to another class up Hotel for a few dollars more and got the discount..So will consider if I stay here again..

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Bismarck
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We needed an economical place to stay for the night and were pleasantly surprised at how nice this property was. The ladies at the front desk were also very helpful in suggesting a kid-friendly place to eat dinner and some sites to see if we had time. Breakfast was pretty basic, but certainly acceptable included in the reasonable room rate.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

West Fargo, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I travel to Bismarck every 3 weeks...and I have stayed at the Super 8 for the past 8 years...all I have to do is call and tell them I'm coming in and Carleen, Heidi or Rachel will have me registered and my extra pillows waiting for me when I check in..I stay at Super 8 twice a week for business...and the Wyndham rewards program is awesome for restaurant points...I recommend the Super 8 in Bismarck ND...a great place to stay

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Been to Super 8 Bismarck? Share your experiences!