“Would not stay here again.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Surf Suites Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wrightsville Beach
Surf Suites Motel
711 South Lumina Ave., Wrightsville Beach, NC 28480   |
Chapel Hill,NC
“Would not stay here again.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2006

My daughter and I stayed at the Surf Suites Motel in Wrightsville Beach on April 21. I selected it based on reviews in this forum. However, apparently the management has changed. I made my reservation over the phone, because the listing on the forum indicated no internet reservations. The clerk did not ask for my email address, and offered no information site to find out more. When we arrived we found that there was a small (recently marked out) sign in the check in area stating that checkout is 11am, checkin 4pm. I asked if there was a way we could check out later, at noon on Saturday. I was told absolutely not. I politely said that I had thought the information i found on the internet said checkout was noon, checkin was 3pm. I was told very rudely that they had a web site that would have explained it. I said I found them through trip advisor, I would not have found it through their site. Their URL did not show up when searching for wrightsville beach hotels. Regardless, no late checkouts.
I asked about the pool, they had a vague idea (after much discussion among a group of 6 cleaning people) it might open the following week. I pointed out that nearby hotels had already opened their pools. My daughter and I walked up and verified people were swimming in the pools at the Blockade Runner and others. Later when going too and from our room, we were forced to walk between smoking cleaning people, standing around in the open corridors. No designated smoking area apparently. Although all rooms are non smoking, if you open your door and have to walk through it... I would not go back, the room was 189.00 plus tax - 213.00 total. For a 19 hour period, certainly not worth it, and the attitude of the staff was pretty discouraging for a slow paced April weekend. Definitely not sold out, and yet not even an hours leniency on the checkout?
Rooms are only OK, beds only fair, furniture somewhat dirty etc. Minimal kitchen supplies.

81 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2005

My wife and I and our 2 year old son had a great time. The beach was wonderful. The motel is located right on the beach; just a short walk to the beach! We felt we went in the busy time of the year and to our amazement the beach wasn't crowded. This area is a family community, a lot of residents that live in the area. The hotel is also located next to the Oceaniac Restuarant....great food. Their was a live band on the pier dock that played at sunset everyone gathered on the beach to enjoy. it was a lot of fun. However there is not a lot to do in the area along the beach, not a lot of shops. You have to go to Wilmington for more food and shops. They do have an awesome outdoors mall about 5 miles away on Military Cutoff Rd., awesome place and they have a few restuarants. The rooms are what you would expect, old and somewhat out of style. I wish there TV's where more updated some we could hook up our portable DVD player and my son could watch the Wiggles. The hotel is old and a little rundowned. But they did remodel the rooms, they were okay, all you need is a place to sleep and spend your time at the beach!!! My family plans on going back to Surf Suites, the staff was nice, the location was perfect.

Stayed July 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2005

My husband and young son have been staying at the Surf for over 8 years now.
The living room couch makes into a bed and you can hear the waves of the ocean at night.

It is nothing like the Blockade Runner-

Surf has kitchen facilities and the staff is so friendly and helpful.

A 'home away from home' with every amenity.
We travel to visit relatives in nearby Wilmington 3-4 times a year -and always stay at the Surf.

The office staff stays the same year after year and remembers us.
I dread the thought of looking anywhere else to stay if ever we can't stay at the Surf.

• Stayed January 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2004

I drove straight to the beach from Cary, NC and didn't stop till the road ended...at the Surf. It was one of those spur of the moment trips, what can I say? It was drizzling outside as I went in to ask about the price of a room. When they told me they had only suites and the price was $120 per night, I resolved to find another place to stay although I had to see what made them feel their humble little offering warranted such a high price tag so I walked through the breezeway that divided the lower floor of suites in half only to fall in love with this hotel because of the very thing that drew me to Wrightsville in the first place, the beach. The thing I came for was right there, up close and personal -worth every penny. That's how I found the Surf the first time and we've stayed there ever since.

If you get a suite on the lower floor, you can walk right from the sliding glass patio door to the beach. You can keep all of your beach equipment on the patio which has an enclosure that locks for security. There's a small, well-manicured grassy area with a short boardwalk and then pure heaven. This is the place where people who love to surf or boogie board stay. At 5 pm, look out on the beach to see surfers lined up to catch a wave.

If you're wanting to be pampered, this isn't the place for you. The kitchenette and living area of this suite are merely conveniences for us beach lovers so we don't have to part with our sand and surf for too long. There's a small pool with a nice wooden deck surround on one side if you can bear to tear yourself away from the beach long enough for a dip there.

I once saw a child running down the beach in jubilation, holding a small, wriggling hammerhead shark by the tail to show his mom. Fossilized sharks teeth are a more likely find on this rough and tumble beach than pristine sea shells. Bring a small jar and look for black triangles in the course sand areas.

This hotel is next to The Oceanic restaurant which has a panoramic view of the beach from the inside and an old fishing pier attatched for al fresco dining (although I don't believe anyone fishes off of it anymore since the end of it was wacked off in a rough storm). The she-crab soup and oysters rockefeller are amazing but I must confess, not everything on the menu is top-notch. We often spend our final afternoon on the beach dining at the Oceanic as a last goodbye.

I've seen a photographer do a photo shoot of rap stars under the Oceanic pier because the green wood of its support beams against the horizon on overcast days is spectacular. If you go very early in the season, just before the start of summer, you can watch the life guard trials next to the pier. It's difficult not to notice all of those red bathing suits...

Please, don't stay at the Surf Motel because I'd like to keep it all for myself.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2004

My experience with The Surf Suites was very pleasant. Recommended to us from a friend, we reserved an oceanfront suite and were pleasantly surprised upon arrival. The staff was friendly and helpful, the rooms were beautiful and very clean and you can't beat the great view. The pool also had an ocean view which was very nice to enjoy when the sand was too much. From begining to end we completely enjoyed our visit to The Surf and would recommend it to our friends & family and plan to return for another visit ourselves. We have stayed at other property's on Wrightsville Beach and feel this is our favorite! Keep up the good work Surf Suites!

Wytheville, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2003

We had a very good stay here. The motel grounds are very nice. The room was great. It was a bit pricey though. The only negative thing I can think of was that after spending in excess of $200.00 for the room, there was an envelope in the room suggesting a gratuity for the housekeeping staff. We felt that that was quite presumptuous, especially considering there was no services provided different from a lesser priced motel.

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2003

I have stayed at Surf Suites twice. September 2001 was a terrible experience. The hotel was fully booked or overbooked, and I was stuck in an overflow room that was a run-down studio instead of a suite. It was room 5 on the first floor, behind the office area. The ceiling was falling in, it was musty, dirty, and definitely not as advertised.
Other friends were staying at the hotel as well, and their rooms were suites, as advertised, and in decent condition. I complained to management and insisted upon a refund or rate adjustment but was refused. Management said that "all rooms are changed at the same rate, even the room you're in."

I reluctantly returned for a second stay in September 2002 because of lack of suitable availability elsewhere. Upon making those reservations, I was very clear with the management that I would not stay in nor pay for room 5. I was assigned to a standard suite that turned out ot be okay. It had been recently painted and refurbished a bit. The refurbished rooms are decent and fairly clean, but age and wear and tear is still a factor.

Been to Surf Suites Motel? Share your experiences!