“possible wedding” 1 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2700 North Lumina Ave., Wrightsville Beach, NC 28480   |
Richmond, Virginia
“possible wedding”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

My fiancé and I along with some family went to this resort to see about having our wedding there August 2011 this past September after falling in love with the pictures online. We get there, the bellman as well as the woman at the front desk was very nice, and the buck stops there. We look around the lobby and the front of the building and it is very pretty. After being told, what we were there for the front desk attendant went to get their wedding coordinator who looked at us as if we were aliens. She gave us a brief tour not because there was not much to show but because she walked and talked, so fast we were running to keep up!? She just made us feel so unwanted and out of place, that it just really just sickened me.
Especially when I think, we drove 4hrs one way just to see this place and to be treated as if we were bothering HER with our presents and just an inconvenience to HER afternoon really just bothered me to the core. I am from Wilmington, I know what the people are like there, and to think that this person is representing us to everyone visiting our beautiful city and sending out that that is "southern hospitality" and "beach living" is horrible!
We absolutely wanted to have our wedding there because the beaches there are gorgeous but having to put faith in her to help me plan my wedding I do not think I can. I mean she was "going to send [us] an email to show [us] what [she] could work out with our budget". Guess what it has been two months and we have not heard a word or had our calls returned!! Honestly if this is the service I missed sadly, I am glad…

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
UNCWALUM, Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, December 14, 2010
I am very sorry to hear of your experience at Shell Island Resort. This is not a typical occurence with us and we pride ourselves on offering superior customer service. I am not positive of the circumstances of that visit as I was not aware of this specific situation. I do know that we do many weddings here every year and have very happy brides. Again, I certainly apologize about your visit and I hope, since you do enjoy the area and the hotel, that you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

What a great place. Terrific resort for a great price. Beautiful accomodations, nice sandy beach, and good food. Definitely will go back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

Shell Island is a nice place located on a perfect piece of real estate on the northern most tip of Wrightsville Beach. The beach is beautiful and to the north of the resort it's backed by beautiful dunes. It's great sitting in the room watching surfers and paddle boarders hit the waves while dolphins swim amongst them (kind of scarey). We also watched a wedding occur right on the beach. The pools are nice. The restaurant is fair. The rooms are very nice but the bedrooms are located in the front of the unit right next to the walkway, so it can be a little loud. Overall, it's a nice place. I would never pay $300+ a night like they charge during the Summer, but it was nice during the off season.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

Shell Island is a gorgeous oceanfront resort. We were on the 8th floor, and our suite was more like a small apartment--spacious, gracious, comfortable-- best view of the ocean with sunrise! The front desk staff were congenial and courteous. The restaurant staff were typical of the people of this region: polite, friendly and totally accommodating. We felt at home immediately and were reluctant to leave. Hotel amenities were great- fitness room, indoor pool, outdoor pool/hot tub, free WiFi. Would we come back? ABSOLUTELY!!! Can't wait til next time. Thanks Shell Island, for making our stay a real treat!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

I saw this as a special on a Travelzoo add. Never expected to be in Wrightsville but when we did go I took a chance and told the front desk staff I had seen the add and named the room price. Originally I was told there were no rooms but then was told if were staying one night we could have the room - we took it without hesitation and were very happy we did. The suite was very nice - we were on the 3rd floor and had a nice view of the perfect beach. The suite was very comfortble and nicely furnished.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

The location is excellent with a fabulous view (IF you are not on the first floor). We were placed on the first floor with no view, after the person we booked the room with assured us of a beach view and our request to be moved to a room with a better view resulted in hostility and rudeness from staff and management. We did finally get a third floor room and had it not been for the view, trip would have been a total waste. The room and hotel as a whole are just mediocre and nothing special. If you are foolish enough to go, SKIP the hotel restaurant for breakfast. Besides the omelette, everything was cold and not of good quality AND they charge $11 dollars a plate! It might cost a little more but stay at the Holiday Inn down the street.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
UNCWALUM, Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, October 19, 2010
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry you were not satisfied with the view of your original suite. With our Manager's Special Rate the room type is determined at check in and is based on availability, which includes our Beach Walk out Rooms (first floor). If this was not communicated to you clearly, then I appreciate you bringing this to our attention as we want to make this very clear when a guest reserves this particular rate they understand it could be any room at the resort.
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

This place is 25 years old and showing every bit of it. The rooms are outdated but the view is impossible to beat. Overpriced. The bedroom was in the back of the suite instead of out where you can see the ocean. Not sure if all the rooms are like that. We would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Gorgeous location for a beach wedding though. I just wouldn't want to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Shell Island Resort? Share your experiences!