“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2700 North Lumina Ave., Wrightsville Beach, NC 28480   |
Goochland, Virginia
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

This is the third year I have stayed at this property during the Thanksgiving weekend. This year was the worst. My group had over 20 rooms. I asked for a handicapped accessable room a month before I arrived. I arrived to find our room keys had not been set up ( not like prior years). We had to wait until each room key were done. We were on a tight deadline to make a boat ride at Carolina Beach. I asked if my room could be close to the wheelchair accessable room so I could assist the person. The first room I was given was not wheel chair accessable. Then we were moved to the 8th floor. Rm 807 and 820 ( long way from each other) The water in this hotel is I believe is so bad is should be closed by the health dept. It smells like rotten eggs, I turn the water on in the bath tub and walk back to find it black with all kinds of particules floating in the water. I took a glass of it and the black wash cloth to the front desk to be told it was only in my room ( as if they knew it), The only solution was an offer to move me to another room, I was also told that non of the rooms have a roll in wheel chair shower, I was told because the property is private they do not have to follow stand rules for handicap accessable. My husband had every plan to make a reservation for just the two of us during the coming holidays but this trip was a big no, I told the front dest that I do plan to report them to the health department. Giving the status of the water I thought it took alot of nerve to charge $4.00 for bottle water in the room when you cannot dring the water in the hotel.......disappointed

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
KevinC485, General Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Dear fgbryce,

We appreciate your group staying at Shell Island Resort again this year. The water in the hotel is monitored closely by The Town of Wrightsville Beach and our maintenance staff. The town is very diligent in flushing out the water lines throughout the island to ensure the water is safe for their residents and visitors. Please call me the next time you are in the area at 910-256-8696 and I will ensure that you get a room that meets your expectations.

Kevin C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
carolinas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

First would like to say that the staff we encountered during our trip was exceptional. Vicki was manning the desk at check in and check out. Maintenance was also very prompt in responding to a concern regarding the water heater. The location was the big winner as it was at the end of the strip. It is important to note that these condos are individually owned! Quality of furnishings, towels, bedding, ect. is a dice roll unless you know the unit you want. We had a clean but very dated and well-worn unit. The TV's were nice. Regular sized fridge and two stove burners with no oven. No dishwasher. We were on the second floor. This was not the best location as we were face to face with the parking deck each time we opened the door. Also the canned music from lobby/ pool area was great but we could hear it well into the evening from the balcony. That said, try to clear the 4th floor and that will not be an issue. There was a small indoor pool but the inhabitants looked as if they were on display from the lobby. Did not eat at the restaurant. Again the location was great. I suggest being as specific as you can about preferences when you reserve a unit.

• Stayed November 2013
KevinC485, General Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear fulton79,

I appreciate your review of our resort and thank you for your business. We couldn’t agree more that the location is the best on Wrightsville Beach. I am also pleased that the staff, including Vicki, was friendly and accommodating during your visit. As to the rooms, we are undergoing a major renovation this offseason that will focus primarily on the units being upgraded. The next time you are in the Wrightsville Beach area, please give me a call at 910-256-8696 and I will make sure that you get a room that meets your expectations. Again, we appreciate you staying here and we hope to see you again soon.

Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

For the second year in a row, our organization held its annual fall conference at the Shell Island Resort. Our group blocks approximately 75 suites and holds all of its educational sessions and meals at this property. The convention staff is wonderful to work with -- flexible and accommodating. Catering altered menu choices and provided alternatives that suited our group perfectly. Staging of food and meals was ALWAYS on time and attention was paid to presentation and temperature of food and to maintaining ample quantities. Staff was always on hand to assist with any requests or needs that presented themselves.The room set for the educational sessions was always done early -- the rooms were always well cleaned and reset before any of our association staff arrived in the morning. George was The Man! He had solutions to every last minute issue we encountered and ensured that our entire conference ran flawlessly from catering to audiovisual equipment. He also handled details like room temperature and extra seating needs. Convention services staff worked with us to provide a low room rate for our members, affordable meeting room and catering rates, as well as a hospitality suite and access to office equipment and supplies when needed. The restaurant has an amazing view of the beach and served excellent food at reasonable prices -- we noticed a big improvement in 2013 over 2012. The suites afford fabulous views of the beach and provide generous space, including a living and dining area, 1 1/2 baths and a well-stocked kitchenette. Rooms were clean and comfortable, although many were dated in their decor. We are looking forward to holding our third annual fall conference at Shell Island in 2014, where we understand that the guest suites are undergoing extensive rennovation. The location was the overwhelming choice of our membership!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
KevinC485, General Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Dear Susan H.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay here at Shell Island! We are thrilled to know you had a great time and we appreciate the opportunity to have hosted you and your Conference for a second year at our resort! I was very happy to hear how well your Conference ran and thanks for the compliments on the outstanding service and food. Our Associates work very hard year round to ensure our guests have a wonderful time and experience. Our room renovations are on schedule and will be completed in time for our summer season. We look forward to seeing you at your Conference next year!

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Our church had a Couples Retreat at Shell Island Resort. The facility was clean, staff was outstanding, food was great, and the location was great. I would recommend this resort. We are seriously thinking about having our retreat there next year as well.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
KevinC485, General Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Kev S,

It was a pleasure having your church group here at Shell Island and we are pleased that you enjoyed your visit. I am also happy to hear that the staff was friendly and accommodating as guest service is our number one priority here at the resort. We look forward to having you back anytime at Wrightsville Beach’s best location on the ocean!

Waynesville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I recently stayed at the SIR for a conference and was pleasantly surprised with the accommodations. My suite was a corner unit with a spectacular view. The room is really a suite - a bedroom, a full bath and a half bath, kitchen with stove top, refrigerator, microwave, coffee and a sitting area - with balcony large enough for several people.

The restaurant was a bit disappointing. Since this is the last resort on the island and there aren't other options within walking distance, they have a captive audience and it showed.

The parking deck is the lowest I have ever seen (6'6" clearance) so don't plan on parking a large vehicle here. That being said, it was very convenient and the staff was extremely pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean front which is very nice. This would be a great place for a family vacation or a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
KevinC485, General Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear CharlesJefferson,

Thank you for your feedback and we appreciate your business. I couldn’t agree more that Shell Island Resort has the best view of the Atlantic Ocean from our rooms. As guest service is our top priority, I am pleased that our staff was kind and accommodating to your family. Please give me a call at 910-256-8696 to further discuss your experience in the restaurant. We hope to see you again soon at Wrightsville Beach!

Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

When I read through these reviews & look at the pictures posted here I wonder if I stayed at the same property? My extended family vacationed here this summer -- we had four rooms on the same hallway.

The good - location, location, location. The beach is beautiful at this end of Wrightsville Beach - nuff said. Beautiful views from rooms - all of which are oceanfront. Balconies rather small though.

The bad - well I am looking through pictures of suites that other travelers have posted & can see we drew the short end of the straw in room assignment. This is a condo-type resort and the units are individually owned & decorated. Honestly, there needs to be a bit more oversight on the part of management. All the rooms we were in were fairly outdated -- one had what I would consider fairly dirty furniture in the living area including a cracked dining room table. Cheap accessories, just worn out looking -- for the price we paid, we were expecting much nicer -- like the updated units that are displayed on the website & here.

The pool area is small & wasn't really kept too clean. And it would be really nice if they took advantage of the beautiful location & there was a view of the beach.

Ate at the restaurant once - again, I am not a professional but why not take advantage of the beautiful location & get rid of the sterile white walls and inject a bit of ambience into the place? Prices, decor and quality of food at dinner made it a one-stop dining spot.

Yes, the staff was nice but at the prices charged in peak season you'd expect the accomodations to be five star -- they need to do a review of all the rooms and hold the owners accountable.

Room Tip: Ask to see pictures or request an updated room!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear carolina1216,

We appreciate your business and thank you for staying at Shell Island Resort. We agree that the views of Wrightsville Beach and the ocean are fabulous from the resort and that we have the most beautiful stretch of beach on our island. This off season, there will be a major renovation project focusing on the rooms and the next time you are in the area, please call me at 910-256-8696. I will ensure that you get a room that is up to your standards. We hope to see you again at Wrightsville Beach soon!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

This hotel was one of the nicest I've ever stayed in! Very nice rooms, nice pool area, and right on the beach! Beautiful view of sunrise from our balcony facing the beach and beautiful view of the sunset from our front door/hallway overlooking the harbor. We brought our own beach chairs but otherwise they sell chairs on the beach.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear 617JG123,

We are happy you enjoyed your visit here at Shell Island Resort. We are in complete agreement that the sunrises on the beach and the sunsets along the marsh are the best in the country. I hope that you can come back soon to enjoy the quiet and clean beach which is perfect for a romantic weekend or a quick family getaway.

Kevin C.

Been to Shell Island Resort? Share your experiences!