“I found the hotel rooms all facing the beach to be fantastic.” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Shell Island Resort to your Saves list
Shell Island Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2700 North Lumina Ave., Wrightsville Beach, NC 28480   |
“I found the hotel rooms all facing the beach to be fantastic.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I booked a two night stay. The employees were all cheerful, and smiling. The room was very nice and had a kitchenette, king bed with one and half bath. The food was great. Although our second day at dinner, the appetizer and salad, arrived at the same time. Only a fiew minutes later dinner arrived. Not enough time to enjoy the food. I felt rushed. This resort has a very fine beach. You can rent umbrellas and chairs for the beach. Which is a public beach but I felt it was not too crowded. The ac was not working in our room the first night. We called the front desk, and it was repaired quickly. Overall it was a great place to beach and relax. There is a small tiny store for snacks and sodas and sunscreen. But it could be improved. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
KevinC485, General Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear wayneandmarilynp,

We agree that Shell Island Resort has a very fine beach. Because it is the widest stretch of beach on the island, it feels less crowded than other beaches. I am glad that employees were polite, cheerful and were quick to resolve any requests immediately. We make guest service a top priority here! I am pleased that you were able to get away and relax in one of our fine rooms overlooking the ocean. Our new chef has revamped the menu to make more fresh and creative dishes. While I was happy to hear you enjoyed the food, I was a little concerned on the service timing. Please contact me at your convenience to further discuss this. Our number is 910-256-8696 and I look forward to speaking with you. We hope to see you the next time the beach calls!

Kevin C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
cleveland, ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

This was a short family trip for us. Shell Island resort was a great time! The customer service is great! The front desk was really one of the best I've encountered in this industry! The room was clean, big and the view with all glass windows was beautiful! The price was very reasonable! I would recommend and go back here without any hesitations

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
KevinC485, General Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear sunflower418,

Thank you for staying with us and we are glad that you had a great time at the resort. As guest service is our top priority, I am pleased to hear that the front desk treated you well and that you enjoyed the room. Shell Island is a great place any time of year to get away, relax and enjoy the spectacular view of the Atlantic Ocean. We hope that you will think of us again next time you are in the area!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I attended a conference this week at Shell Island Resort and I have been most impressed by the staff and facilities as well as the flexibility of the management staff during our stay. Our conference had some last minute changes and George and Meredith and the entire staff was extremely accommodating and did everything to make sure we were taken care of all week. I would highly recommend Shell Island for Conferences, meetings and/or family getaways. It was a great week!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
KevinC485, General Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear Ken P,

We appreciate your organization staying with us and are pleased you enjoyed the resort. As guest service is our top priority I am happy to hear that the entire staff, including Meredith and George, was able to meet your needs. Our resort has a fantastic location with many things to do in and around the area, whether you are here for business or pleasure. Please think of us when you are down in the Wrightsville Beach area for your next getaway and we will be glad to welcome you back again!

Kevin C
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

My stay was short, but extremely sweet! The views are spectacular and the beach is serene. I truly hated to leave. I was not familiar with the resort; it was the site of a business retreat and what a wonderful choice! I have spent time previously at Carolina Beach, but had never ventured to Wrightsville Beach until now. I can hardly wait to return. I would highly recommend this property for anyone seeking a relaxing get-away with access to a lovely beach on-site.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
KevinC485, General Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear MsPredator,

We are so happy that you enjoyed the resort for your business retreat. I am in complete agreement that the view of the Atlantic Ocean is spectacular. When not on business, Shell Island is a great place to come and relax when the beach calls. Along with a serene beach, our guests can enjoy the indoor/outdoor pool, a restaurant with a fresh, daily catch featured on the menu (ocean view included) and numerous other activities such as bicycling, paddle boarding and nature walks. Please think of us the next time you are in the area and we hope to see you again soon!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in July 2013 for a conference. I was there from a Wednesday to Friday.

The conference facilities were so-so. The ceilings are very low, the internet was spotty. Chairs and tables were fine. The room overlooking the ocean was nice, but always cold. The bathrooms for the conference center were always clean and soap, toilet paper, paper towels were always in stock.

There isn't much room for conferences, though, so a conference much bigger than our 140 would probably be a tight squeeze.

Conference staff was FANTASTIC. Our coordinator was George. He was always on site from early in the morning to after our evening reception. He made sure we had whatever we wanted. He really coordinated the rest of the staff and kept up a great pace of making sure more food, beverages, etc. were always on hand. He answered every question and was always friendly, joking and helpful. He was excellent.

The front desk staff were so-so. Nothing to really recommend them. I heard anecdotally that other conference attendees had difficulty checking in and being issues parking passes, but that didn't happen to me.

The hotel was okay. Its location directly on the beach was the only thing that could possibly make it worth $200+ per night. The room furnishiings were worn in places, the beds were much to soft and saggy and the sofa bed was terrible! The rooms have exterior doors so we were subjected to running through sideways rain to get to our room on one occasion although there are roofs over the hallways. It's kind of an odd hotel.

The tap water at the hotel is vile. It makes your hair smell after you use the water to shampoo, it's that bad. Plan to bring a large amount of bottled water, or risk paying the $4 for the bottle the hotel supplies in your room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
KevinC485, General Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear kate2348,

We are glad that your company had a chance to stay at our resort. I agree with you that George is fantastic. As our Banquet Manager, George’s passion for our guests reflects in everything that he does. We are so fortunate to have him on our team. We are the only facility on Wrightsville Beach where every room is oceanfront and we couldn’t agree more that we have a fantastic location. Thank you for sharing the feedback about your room. The hotel will be undergoing a room renovation in the offseason and I apologize for that the room did not meet your expectations. The next time you are in the area, please think of Shell Island Resort and call me at 910-256-8696 so we can get you a room that exceeds your expectations.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We used this location the last two years for our organization of about 70 people, and we had a great time. The staff is friendly and helpful. I loved the view, and the location is great. It is the last place on the North end of the island, (but easy to get to) so it feels a little more private than other places on the beach. The waterway behind the resort is an excellent place to put in a sea kayak and do some exploring.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean front, but the higher you go, the better the view.
Dan D,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what a great conference your organization had. I was happy to hear how friendly and helpful the staff was during your stay. Guest service is our top priority and our team strives for excellence every day to create a memorable guest experience. I could not agree more on how great our location is and the views of the Atlantic Ocean are incredible from the conference room, Restaurant, and your guest room balcony. Many sea kayakers utilize our resort and on your next visit, we can arrange kayak rentals for you or your organization if time allows.

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I highly recommend the Shell Island Beach Resort on the northernmost end of the island, where we enjoyed a wonderful week in July, 2013. All of the rooms are real suites, meaning that the sleeping area is fully separate from the kitchen and living areas, and all have kitchens and real balconies. Each suite also has 2 bathrooms (technically 1.5 but it’s still 2 bathrooms to me!), which was wonderful for our 3-person family. The décor is very beachy and was very warm and inviting. The staff at the Shell Island Beach Resort was also down-to-earth and extremely helpful. Both Chris and Brice, managers at the hotel, along with Amber, part of the front desk staff, helped to resolve a couple of issues we ran into and did so in a way that made us feel like we were the only guests in the hotel. Our happiness seemed genuinely important to them. Shell Island Beach Resort is also situated on the most beautiful portion of Wrightsville Beach---it’s not only the widest but also the least crowded and FILLED with nature. To the north of the resort is a bird sanctuary and saltwater marsh, both of which are teaming with life as the tides ebb and flow with lunar forces. In addition to the wonderful ocean views (and breeze!) from each suite, all of the rooms have a fantastic view of the marsh, as well as one of the inlets that carry boating traffic in and out of the ocean. For naturalists like ourselves, we couldn’t have asked for a more enjoyable experience. The Shell Island Beach Resort puts in your reach the ocean, tidal marshes, huge tracts of sand, grassy dunes, nesting birds, gorgeous sunrises and expansive natural views. It was an awesome vacation and we plan to return very soon!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
KevinC485, General Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Tanya O,

It was a real pleasure having you at Shell Island. We appreciate you sharing your experience with us and are so glad that you enjoyed the resort! Guest service is something we hold to the highest standards so we are happy to hear that our staff, including Brice and Amber made your visit more enjoyable. Many people realize that our location makes us special. We have the widest stretch of beach so you can feel like you are truly a world away. Did you find the little mailbox at the end of the beach next to our bird sanctuary? People can drop letters in there and the town of Wrightsville Beach will pick them up and display some of them in their museum! We hope to see you next time that a beach vacation calls.

Kevin C.

Been to Shell Island Resort? Share your experiences!