“Perfection” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2700 North Lumina Ave., Wrightsville Beach, NC 28480   |
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I were married at Shell Island on July 19, 2013 and from the first time we met with Meredith Swicegood to George setting up every last detail throughout our evening, Perfection is the word that comes to mind. Shell Island has a phenomenal team that isn't limited to events. The hotel staff at the front desk, to the restaurant were all exceptionally helpful and everyone we came into contact with at the hotel had a smile. We can not thank you enough for your hard work and beautiful vision that made our wedding dream come true. Thank you for everything

Sean and Tasha Little

Room Tip: Every room has amazing Ocean front views you can not go wrong!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
KevinC485, General Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Tasha L,

Congratulations on your marriage and we are so excited for the both of you! We are pleased that you had a great experience at Shell Island and hope to see you back soon. George has been here for seven years and he really takes pride in what he does. He and Meredith go above and beyond for our guests to provide the best service possible. We are so fortunate they are a part of our team. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Wrightsville Beach.

General Manager.

423 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Burlington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My professional association has used this hotel for several years. The banquet staff is always GREAT. They make every effort to make sure the customer is satisfied. The food is wonderful and the buffet breakfast is excellent. In addition, many members extend their stay enjoying the beach and wonderful scenery.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Teresa S,

Your company is a real pleasure to have at the hotel and we welcome them back every year. We are happy that Shell Island consistently provides an enjoyable experience for you and your associates. Please think of us as well as your vacation getaway as Shell Island provides the best for both work and pleasure.

Omaha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My adult daughters and I are only able to get to the beach once a year for a short time. This year I found online (thru Travelocity) Shell Island Resort. We couldn't have been happier with our time at the beach. All of the people who work at Shell Island were friendly and very customer service oriented. When we checked in, there was no power to the bedroom lamp and TV. Right after I called the front desk, someone arrived, fixed the TV connection, replaced the light bulb in the lamp and then realized there was no remote for the front room TV. He returned with the remote and from then on, there were no more concerns. Everyone we came into contact with was extremely helpful and came across as making sure our stay was relaxing and comfortable.
We also enjoyed the fact that even after we checked out, all the amenities with the hotel were still available to us so we could sit at the beach or at the pool until we were ready to leave.
I would recommend Shell Island Resort as a great location to enjoy the beach.

Dear Becky K,

We are so happy that you and your daughters were able to join us at the beach. As guest service is a top priority here, I am glad that all of the staff you encountered was delightful. We also have one of the best maintenance teams in the industry, men who are polite and really understand guest service. Thank you for staying and we are glad that you were able to relax at the beach and enjoy the hotel on the day of your departure. I look forward to meeting you and your family on your next visit.

cary, nc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Will try to cover all the things mentioned in other reviews:
Location - can't be better, at the end of Wrightsville, it's quiet, not crowded and the views east, west and north are spectacular. Full size windows in the rooms mean you can see the whole beach from your entire living room.
Service - everyone we dealt with was very nice, from Ben who ran and got my mom a wheelchair and brought her into the lobby when we arrived and then helped hook my kids up to the Wi-Fi, to the waitresses in the restaurant and the guy working the pool bar. No issues there at all.
The resort itself - yes it's dated. They seem to be making strides to make improvements. The lobby is an attractive space. The restaurant doesn't really seem to have a theme and is a bit odd in that respect. The outside corridors, entrances to the rooms and windows all need an upgrade. It would be nice if there could be some AC in the elevators. The rooms - apparently some are privately owned and some are owned by the resort. Ours fell into a "middle of the road category" - nothing terrible but no great shakes either. My parents' AC never seemed to work 100% right but they weren't bothered by it.
Room cleaning - this is what sets the luxury resort apart from the merely OK. WE moved our furniture around to make more room in the LR - there were food wrappers under the couch. Went to hang things up in the closet and the hangars were dusty. I mean, seriously, visibly, can't-hang-your-clothes-without-cleaning-them dusty. These are things you don't even find in hotel chains like Marriott and Hilton, so Shell Island can and should do better.
The pool - was disappointed when I first saw it because it's pretty small, but we never had any trouble getting a place to sit or enjoying swimming there (it's most crowded late morning and late afternoon when people return from the beach). There is an indoor pool too but it was far too hot in there when we were there - I'm sure it's nice if it's raining or in the winter because it actually has windows that open to the outdoors.
The food - it's very good and the children's meals are an unbelievable bargain...in fact for a hotel restaurant it's really pretty reasonable. The only issue is that the food is S-L-O-W to come out - we were a party of 12 but still - there were never more than 2 or 3 other small tables with us the times we ate there. Would be nice to offer a salad or a bread basket especially at dinner.

All in all we enjoyed our stay there. Would we go back? Yes. You are paying for the location and it's worth it.

Room Tip: The higher the better. It's worth it for the view.
Dear twingles2000,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and we appreciate your business. Your comments are valued and will go a long way to help us improve. One of the great things about Shell Island is its location and we take pride in our guest service, a top priority. The rooms will be undergoing a renovation project in the fall to help take away that “dated” feel that you experienced. We are sorry for the housekeeping challenges that you faced and our housekeepers are being trained consistently to improve their level of service to our guests. Recently, we also acquired a new chef who has revamped the menu to include a daily, fresh local catch and many creative dishes. Please call me at 910-256-8656 if you would like to discuss your review. Again, thank you for taking the time for your feedback and we hope you will think of us the next time you are in the area!

Valatie, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My family and I just stayed at Shell Island July 2-9, 2013. Although everyone at the hotel is very nice and helpful, I have to say I was disappointed this time. We were here four years ago and it was really great. Our room this time was not super clean and very moldy/musty smelling. I understand we're at the beach and this does happen but my husband and I sneezed our heads off every time we got back to our room. The beach is still gorgeous and they have two nice pool areas (one inside and one outside). One night we did order room service and it was really bad. I called downstairs to let them know that we were disappointed with what we received. Upon checking out I did express my disappointment in a very nice way and Bryce at the desk was so amazing! He was very understanding and apologetic but I do think I'll look into renting a house next time we visit Wrightsville Beach.

Room Tip: Room 320 could use some serious work - moldy shower curtain, shower curtain rod falling off the wall...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chris V, Guest Relations Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear TCANTU,

Thank you for staying with us and we are glad that the staff, especially Brice, was very helpful to you. Guest service at Shell Island is our top priority. We are also delighted that you enjoyed our stretch of beach. Please let me sincerely apologize for the challenges that you faced during your recent visit. The housekeeping staff is continually being trained to help improve the cleanliness of the rooms. Please give me a call at 910-256-8696 to discuss the room service issue so we can better address it.

Chris V.
Guest Service Manager
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

We are a 2 hr drive to Wrightsville and generally do day trips. My mother and 2 young boys and I decided on staying overnight. Shell Island was a less expensive option to enjoy the convenience of staying on the beach. The rooms were a bit dated and seemed more like a time share than a hotel with a separate bed room, 2 bathrooms and a living area with a pull out, plus a kitchenette and all ocean facing rooms, making this a great place to stay with a small family. There are 2, though small, pools which are great to jump into just after walking off the beach. We had the breakfast buffet which was reasonably priced with good variety/flavor. Also ate lunch at the pool on day 2, which was also reasonably priced for good tasting food also with generous portions. Staff was very attentive and friendly. We will definitely do overnights more frequently :)

• Stayed July 2013
Dear suzybc14,

We appreciate your business and thank you for staying here! Exceeding our guest expectations is our top priority and we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay at Shell Island. The new chef we have has created a new menu that includes fresh ingredients and the new items have been well received thus far. Please think of us again when you are in the area and we cannot wait to see you back!

Chris V
Guest Services Manager
nc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

My family stayed here for 3 days. It is a great location on wrightsville. The beach is quiet and absolutely beautiful. The hotel had some kinks but when I talked to Brice I could not have been more pleased with the fantastic service he provided. We rebooked because of him and because once the kinks were worked out, we loved the place. Can't wait to go back next month.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear ezwriterNc,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. Brice is one of the best when it comes to taking care of our guest needs and we are glad he was able to assist you. Might I inquire what “kinks” you are referring to about the hotel? We would love to correct them, if possible. Please call me at 910-256-8969 to discuss what they are.

Chris V.
Guest Services Manager

Been to Shell Island Resort? Share your experiences!