“A very good place is getting better” 4 of 5 stars

You added Shell Island Resort to your Saves list
Shell Island Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2700 North Lumina Ave., Wrightsville Beach, NC 28480   |
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“A very good place is getting better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

We visit Shell island maybe 2-3 times a year the past 4 years or so. Our prior visit was in may 2013 and we could see there was a renewed energy to make a number of general improvements. our visit for father's day June 2013 we could really experience new creativity and even a greater level of service from staff. In the past years while we enjoyed SI it felt like it was run by a groups of college students. Now, there is an experienced service oriented guest friendly general manager who is very hands on with the staff and interacts with the guests. There a number of nice changes poolside music on weekend nights, outdoor table service, MUCH IMPROVED breakfast buffets, and the staff was very focused on cleanliness and service. We also heard the dining area has a revamped dinner menu and a cook staff that uses really fresh catch. So, we are looking forward to that in our next visit. We have liked Shell Island for several years and it looks like someone is now unlocking even more potential on the best site on Wrightsville. We cannot wait to go back already. See you soon Shell Island!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris V, Guest Relations Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Bill S,

Thank you so much for your comments and for returning to Shell Island. This resort has recently undergone some changes across the board which we think are for the better. Our number one goal is guest service and we are very pleased that our staff is helping to exceed expectations from our guests. As a management team, we are striving to bring a quality of professionalism to all areas of the resort to help make this the best accommodation on Wrightsville Beach. Our General Manager has helped bring those qualities to the team and the resort and is committed to our guests. Likewise, we are also hearing that the live music on weekends is a great addition to the amenities that the resort is offering. Likewise, we have revamped our food and beverage department with a new chef and a new menu which opens up more opportunities to be creative on that side. We appreciate your business and look forward to the next time you are able to spend some more time with us.

Chris V
Guest Service Manager

393 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Burlington, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is the BEST location on the beach. Just beautiful. The Employees were some of the friendliest I've encountered. But our room was dirty. No other way to say it. The baseboards had not been cleaned in quite a while. There were handprints on the glass sliding door and lots of things under the sofa that had been missed including of cereal from previous guest.
This should be an easy fix for this hotel. Every guest deserves a clean room.
We did however enjoy our first trip to Wrightsville beach. Just unsure if we will return to Shell
Island.

Room Tip: choose a corner room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear nativetarheel,

Your feedback is much appreciated and we agree that this is the best and most beautiful spot on the beach to spend time. We also work hard to make sure that our staff is friendly and guest service oriented and are pleased that they are meeting those expectations. As for your concerns about housekeeping, please let me extend my sincerest apologies for the housekeeping issues that you experienced during your stay. Those standards are not indicative of how Shell Island maintains the rooms and we are embarrassed that your room did not meet those standards. We are currently exploring new ways to service our guests better. We hope that this past experience will not hinder you from staying with us again. If you do decide to return, please call me at the resort at 910-256-8696 and we will make sure that your room exceeds your expectations

Chris V
Guest Services Manager
Leland, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

North Brunswick Newcomers Club held their annual end of the year Installation Luncheon on June 14th in the Ocean View Room at Shell Island Resort. Our catering manager, George, worked through every detail and we could not be more pleased. Although we may have been running a little behind schedule due to our business meeting, our salmon, crab cake and chicken plated entrees were hot and delicious. Thank you for managing our affair in a professional and courteous manner.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Chris V, Guest Relations Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear JoyceC,

Thank you so much for having your luncheon here at Shell Island. We are so pleased that you and your colleagues enjoyed themselves at the resort with the only oceanview ballroom on Wrightsville Beach. George, our catering manager, has been here seven years and works very hard to ensure that our guests have a great time during their event. His efforts certainly go a long way in creating memories here at the resort. Likewise, our new chef is working hard to create new and tasty menu items for our guests as well. His accomplishments have resulted in a revamped menu that our guests seem to be enjoying. We look forward to having you back here at the Shell Island for your next event.

Chris V.
Guest Services Manager
Raleigh NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the Shell Island at least once a year for the past ten years. It is true that some rooms are better than others, but the view and the beach are constantly beautiful.

Because the hotel is surrounded by marsh and beach, some outside maintenance and cosmetic issues are understandable. My issues are all related to the interior of the hotel.

Checked in in a Tuesday night for a college function. Went down to the bar at a few minutes to 10:00. The bartender said she had closed everything up, but there there were two men sitting at the bar with a couple of glasses each in front of them. What had she closed up exactly? No drink for us!

The next morning, we Left the hotel before 7:30 am. Returned after 9:30 pm to see that NOTHING had been cleaned in our absence. In fact, it might have been worse!

When my family travels, after everyone showers, I gather up all the used towels and put them in one pile before we leave the room. This makes it easy for Housekeeping to clear them away and place new ones. Well, Housekeeping picked up the dirty towels and hung them over the doors while we were gone. They did not bring new, clean towels AND they sort of hung up the dirty ones...ick!

They did not leave dish soap to clean the dishes, nor did they wash them. There was sand inside both doors, tracked from the elevator while carrying our luggage, that was not cleaned up. They did not replace the coffee, either.

I went down to speak to the Front Desk, the staff member apologized and was clearly embarrassed, but it was clear that he had received several similar calls. I asked to speak to the manager on duty and learned that there was none. In my opinion, this is a safety issue for staff and guests. I asked for some dish soap. He didn't have any, indicated they'd been waiting on a shipment. When I discovered the coffee hadn't been replaced, I went downstairs again and he said he'd send someone with it. Ten minutes later, a young woman handed me five packets of decaf! I was so dumbfounded that it took me a second and I had to run down the hall after her. It took another ten minutes - and by now it is nearly 10:30 pm - for her to come back with caffeinated coffee.

At the rate we paid, we could have had two rooms in a newer nice hotel closer to campus. I was in charge of the reservation and this property was my first choice. I'm having a really hard time justifying the cost to my husband! He actually said that about the only thing he expects from a hotel is a clean towel and Shell Island couldn't manage that.

Poorly managed. Really disappointing. Absolutely no excuse for this kind of Housekeeping issue! I will be sending something to the GM in writing. This may be my family's last trip...:

• Stayed June 2013
Wake Forest, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Shell Island is a place we have been staying for over 10 yrs! The staff is wonderful! Brice will greet you with a smile and help you find whatever it is you are looking for in a resort. Shannon and Matt will meet your restaurant needs as well! Our stay has always been enjoyable! There are complaints about the rooms...you need to know -there are different levels. The cheaper rooms are clean but not updated. The premium rooms are also clean but they are updated. There are new carpet, showers, furniture etc! It's a wonderful get away for your family, girls get away, and couples!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I just got back from my wedding weekend at Shell Island Resort on Wrightsville Beach. I love this place and had the best experience with pretty much the entire staff. I had one hiccup with one of the girls working the desk on the night shift when part of my wedding party tried to check in. But once I talked to Management about it the next day it was rectified and they apologized up and down for it. The first night they put me in a room that wasn't quite what I was expecting for my wedding night. The next day I talked to Brice at the front desk and he was so fantastic about helping get me into a room that I loved, he really went above and beyond in my eyes. Everything was pretty much perfect, the food was amazing thanks to Chip the head chef. The room was set up perfectly thanks to George the fast talker from New Jersey ;) And all of the months of planning and preparation went smooth as can be because of Meredith and Cory. You all were amazing. I was very very pleased with the experience. Thank you for being part of the best day of my life

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
East Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This place is awesome. Right on the ocean, no traffic noise as its way out of town and all rooms face the water and sunrise - just beautiful! Walking on the sands just yards away with abundant wild life and sea birds was memorable.
One tiny complaint was that room cleaning wasn't always efficient, and storage space is a little limited. The a/c pump is also on the noisy side.
Otherwise the restaurant serves giant portions of everything. It is really good classic American dining which this holiday maker from the UK appreciated.
Front office staff always efficient and helpful. Place couldn't be cleaner.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Shell Island Resort? Share your experiences!