We moved to NC several months ago so everyone was telling us you had to get to Wrightsville Beach so my wife and I finally piled into the car the weekend of my b-day to see for ourselves. We had a blast! Beach/sand is truly beautiful, soft, clean and the Atlantic Ocean and salt air just can't be beat.
Like the many reviews here, the rooms and property literally faces the ocean so you can open the sliding door on your balcony and hear the waves and feel the breeze. We went in early October on a beautiful mid 80 degree day weekend. Crowds were minimal even with a wedding happening at the hotel that evening right on the beach!
As some have commented, if you are looking for a full service resort like a Hyatt, etc. with multiple outdoor pools, swim up bars, etc. this isn't the place for you. The ocean and beach are literally right there and the property seems very well suited to couples, families, friends gathering for a weekend, etc. who want a nice place to stay and love the beach and some quiet to read/relax, etc. I really liked that the hotel is located in an area that is mostly residential away from the bars, t-shirt shops, etc. You literally follow the one road and it dead ends at the hotel.
Check in: fast, efficient, with no problems. no bellman but parking is right in front of the hotel and there is no charge.
Lobby: very functional, nice atrium with windows that look to the indoor/outdoor pools and beyond that the beach and ocean. Easy access from the garage to your floor.
Restaurant: again, very functional but nice, clean, prices were about what I expected. we ate there late the first night after we got in. Dining room was dead but waitress was friendly, efficient and food was great.
Rooms: Seeing the rooms you can very much see the property is geared toward weekly rentals in the summer. Our corner room on the 4th floor had a small range, microwave, full sized refrigerator, 4-person dining room table, sleeper sofa, nicer flat screen and ceiling-to-floor windows that overlook the ocean and a small balcony with table and chairs so you can sit and have your morning coffee and watch the sunrise.
Bathrooms were a bit odd with a common door separating one from the other but it worked for us. Older fixtures, tiles, vanity and lighting but again you are paying for location.
Bed was a king in a small room but it had a dresser, multiple pillows and was super comfy with a small but functional flat screen.
- Also Known As:
- Shell Island Oceanfront Hotel
- Shell Island Oceanfront Resort
- Wrightsville Beach Shell Island Resort
- Shell Island Resort Nc
- Shell Island North Carolina
- Shell Island Hotel
- Shell Island Nc
- Shell Island Resort North Carolina
- Shell Isl All Oceanfront Suites
- Shell Is Resort Wrightsville Beach
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the northern tip of Wrightsville Beach, Shell Island Resort is surrounded by a sprawling expanse of sand and unparalleled views of the Atlantic Ocean, Mason’s Inlet, and Figure Eight Island. This family-friendly resort and hotel boasts a front row seat to the beckoning sea and a beach that seems to stretch endlessly, making it feel like it is yours alone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Tingo, Hotels.com, EasyToBook, Venere, Agoda, Fareportal and Otel so you can book your Shell Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.