“Manager saved the stay” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Manager saved the stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

The last time I WS in the Hotel WS approximately 7 years ago for my wedding night. As a long time resident of the beach I was excited to be able to go back for a night on business. The resort was in the process of updating during the off season, which is common for the area. The manager saved the stay, I was put on the sound side of the hotel on the 6th floor, when I walked in in the room was very nice and well stocked with the normal comforts. Mini fridge, k cup coffee maker, and nice beds, but they had painted the floor below me and the smell of paint was so strong it about knocked me out. I went to dinner not thinking much of it it when I got back to do work it was simply too much to bear. They offered to move me to the 7th floor which made little sense to me considering fumes go up, but it WS better then where I was. The manager met me at my room to take me to my new room and actually moved me to the beach front wing on the other aside of the resort. It made all the difference in the world!! My headache went away and the night was saved. It's a great place, but they shouldn't have even had guest near the floor that was painted. They also make a low VOC paint to assist with this issue.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Durham, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We were here for a business conference, and found the hotel to be excellent. It is newly renovated -- in fact there are some renovations still going on. They have done a great job with training staff. Jonathan, at the front desk in the evening, is a standout! Very personable and focused on customer service! The restaurant food was delicious, especially the buffet breakfast included in the room price! Highly recommend!!

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor, and had a great view of the ocean!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Charlotte
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Our sons attends UNCW and we have found ourselves heading east to treat him to dinner more often with the beach so close. We have tried a handful of hotels in the area and I have to say the staff here puts all others to shame, they are truly accommodating and friendly. Perfect location with beautiful views. The room had a nice layout and was very spacious, pretty clean, beds were fair comfort wise, linens could show improvement in quality- but we're clean, loved the tile floor as opposed to carpet - especially at the beach-, and the view... isn't that what we are there for! The renovations to this older building definitely make it a top choice for our Wrightsville Beach/ Wilmington stays. Breakfast was included and really one of the best I have had-- a lot to choose from and all was yummy. We will likely return to try out some of the appealing options on the dinner menu and stroll the beach of course. Recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Advance, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

this was our first time staying at the Blockade Runner. We loved the grounds, the hotel in and outside but.... were disappointed to find there was no indoor pool. They have 1 outdoor pool and 1 hot tub indoors. What does a family do when it rains in the summer? Loved the hotel but would prefer one with indoor pools as well. Staff was very accomodating, rooms were very spacious and comfortable and breakfast buffet was awesome. Definitely recommend. :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

The hotel staff was very helpful and courteous. The location is outstanding - right on the beach and not too far from Wilmington or Raleigh. The room was updated and very comfortable. If I go back to Wrightsville Beach, I'll be sure to stay here again.

Room Tip: The beach-side rooms might be slightly pricier, but well worth the few dollars extra if you like to...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The staff was prepared, friendly, and helpful. The food was great, and the rooms were clean, comfortable and quiet. If you want to experience great customer service then look here. I will definitely recommend this hotel to others, and I will be back.

• Stayed January 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Spent just one night there for a paddle board race, and could not have been more impressed with the hotel - especially the service. Every staff member that I interacted with was friendly, polite, helpful and professional. They all truly seem to enjoy their jobs and making their guests feel welcome. As for the hotel, I thought my room was huge (I was a same-day booking, booked an intracoastal view room but was given an ocean view room - sweet!) w/ 2 queen beds, a desk, dresser and lots of room to move around. My room (2nd floor) didn't have a full balcony, but it does have sliding glass doors and a nice round glass-top table and 2 comfortable chairs that would make it feel as if you were sitting on a balcony. The pool area is spacious with what looked to be very comfortable seating and the walkway to the beach is right there. The lobby is rather modern with comfortable seating, and the parking lot is right out front - with 24 hr complimentary valet parking, if desired. It is situated on the ocean side, but the sound is just across the street where there is a nice dock over the water. The hotel is in a good location with easy access to many restaurants by car, bike or walking. I ordered room service, and was pleasantly surprised to see that they offered petite sizes for their salads and dinners, which I ordered, but if I got the petite, I can't imagine how large the full serving sizes would have been. What I also really appreciated was that there were no flat service charges or delivery charges, so I could add whatever gratuity I felt was appropriate (which, given the service, was fairly generous). The "down" side (not that it was that big of a deal) was that the bathroom is rather small, although there is a lot of counter top space. I was alone, so I had plenty of room, but if you're both trying to get ready at the same time, space will be limited. I can't wait for the next SUP race when I can get to book another room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Blockade Runner? Share your experiences!