“Blockade Runner is delightful” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   275 Waynick Boulevard, Wrightsville Beach, NC 28480   |
Hotel deals
Certificate of Excellence 2014
North Yarmouth, Maine
“Blockade Runner is delightful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We just spent three days in a beautiful ocean front room. Very comfortable in every way. Clean, bright, all in working order.
Breakfasts included in the price, were superb. Lots of choice, everything delicious. All (very young) employees friendly and helpful at all times.
We would go back happily.

Room Tip: ocean front definitely the right side
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were visiting family in Castle Hayne and just happened upon this hotel and were glad that we did. Clearly updated the lobby was very inviting! The desk clerk, Christine could not have been nicer in reviewing the available rooms to meet our needs. We arrived late in the afternoon and watched a beautiful sunset from our 7th floor room. I really enjoyed being on the channel with all the sailboats. Being from Virginia Beach the oceanfront view was not quite as important as it might be to others. He we been on that side of the hotel I am sure it would have been equally as beautiful. Beds were comfortable, bathrooms nicely stocked. I see they have taken the recommendation of a previous review and added shower gel! The only unusual thing was there are no ice machines. You must call and ask for ice but the delivered it immediately!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Nice looking place, right on the beach. Our ocean-front view was spectacular. The service was friendly. I usually give good reviews . . . So what sours me on this place? The details. Why do they not give hair conditioner? (Shower gel instead of skin-drying soap would be nice, too). The bed was hard. The pillows are awful. I wish I brought my own. Pillows at a Holiday Inn are better. The buffet breakfast was plentiful, but why isn't there anything else but whole milk? The buffet is great for greedy overweight Americans, but paltry for those who enjoy healthy food. Skim milk and some decent quality yogurt would go far. Also, tea other than Lipton. It's not so hard or expensive to buy a package of Twinings. The prices at the hotel restaurant are extremely overpriced, but I guess one should expect that at a hotel. Really, this is a nice place, but the details bring it down. I would love or a manager to read this and just arrange to leave guests with hair conditioner and skim milk. That's not too much to ask, is it?

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We nearly did not stop to take a look from the road. However the sign was updated and said Boutique so I thought we should check it out. Well I am glad we did. It has been updated and has a cool little lobby. The courtyard has a nice pool and pool bar that also serves food. The room was beautiful. We stayed in a room that was updated in 2011 on the 6th floor. Amazing views and very roomy. The bathroom was small but tastefully updated with a rain shower. The coffeemaker in the room is kuerig and they do give you several pods. To our surprise the room rate, which was remarkable, included a breakfast buffet. It was very good - we had scrambled eggs with fresh spinach and tomatoes, vanilla french toast, great potatoes, very nice fresh fruit and delicious coffee. The beach was beautiful as were the grounds. The whole stay was a great surprise and we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the renovated rooms on the 6 or 7 floor. There are more expensive balcony rooms in a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Although they did a decent job of renovating the hotel a few years ago, they need to go just a little further. The outside remains virtually unchanged so don't be afraid when you first pull into the lot. The lobby and dining areas have been nicely updated. We had an oceanfront room which was a decent size; however, the bathroom was a little small (no sharing the bathroom vanity). Again, the reno needed to go a little further in the rooms - new bed for one thing. It had to be the worse bed we have ever slept on, very springing mattress and extremely loud. Seriously, the first night I kept waking myself up when I turned over - that loud. The breakfast was the usual breakfast buffet, nothing great but nothing bad either. We paid $30 for 2 chairs and 2 umbrellas, a little high considering we were there during the off season. So, all in all, the price we paid for the room and amenities was a little high considering the age of the hotel as well as the furnishings. The price is more keeping with a higher end hotel, the Blockade Runner is not a high end hotel. However, as it's one of only a few on Wrightsville, it the price fell into range.

Room Tip: Oceanfront is a must.
Raleigh and Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The hotel was very nice and i have been in every hotel on wrightsville beach and this is the nicest one i have seen. But would i pay 450.00 in the summer time for this hotel, Hell No! I have stayed in five star hotels for less that are way better. The lobby was very nice, the breakfast was better then most and the room was not that bad. The bathroom was way to small for 330.00 in october and the room was not very big also. The bed was amazing and my wife and I both slept very good. The drinks are very over priced 15.00 for liquor, 7 dollars for a miller light! One thing this hotel could do to make things better would be to fire the valet staff. Every time i left i heard them being very unprofessional at one point my mom, grandmother and me waiting for our car and the valet staff talking about how they had pissed blood the night before and and had the attitude like we were bothering them, all the other staff was great! Over all the Hotel was nice just over priced for what you get

West Chester, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Blockade was nice, room was nice, great view, clean, and the place really does look nicer inside than the aging exterior. The pool is relaxing, the beach is very nice ($30 for 2 chairs and an umbrella was a bit over the top tho), tho gardens were nice and there was free wifi.
But it had its faults that could not be overlooked and I think this takes away from a really great possibility of a first-class experience.
One, the beds were hard in an uncomfortable way, making for not the best sleep.
Even on the 6th floor, the exhaust from the kitchen had our room smelling like bacon both mornings at 6am. I like bacon, but it got old.
My main disapointment was the food - breakfast was very good, plenty to eat, hot, nice selections (even bacon!). But then we had lunch outside by the pool bar ... it was, easily, horrible.
And between the three of us, having small dishes and 4 drinks total(2 beers and 2 frozen drinks) the bill was over $100. And that was after we sent a dish back because it was unedable.
I stress - do NOT order the ceviche. It wasnt close to ceviche in looks and tasted so bad... I had to order second beer to try to get the taste out of my mouth of the one small bite I tried, still, it was with me all afternoon, gross.
So, we didnt try anymore food after that experience and all else was really nice.
I would stay there again, the price we got for a room was more than fair online and I'd even move to one of the deluxe balcony suites next time.

But I wont be eating anything except the included breakfast.

Room Tip: Unless you get an ocean balcony room, there is NO balcony, just a railing in front of a sliding door...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Blockade Runner? Share your experiences!