“Perfect beach resort!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Louisville, Kentucky
“Perfect beach resort!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

We had a great experience at the Blockade Runner Beach Resort. The staff was very helpful when making the reservations and checking in. My sister and I took our parents on vacation to celebrate my mother's birthday and it seemed the staff got into the spirit along with us. We were recognized throughout our stay and the staff was warm, welcoming, and professional. The restaurant is great, the beach was perfect--not too busy and very clean; and it was easy to get there with flights/rental cars/etc. The pool is smallish, as some other reviewers have commented, but seems appropriate given that the beach is 15 steps away. A friendly server passed by our beach chairs several times a day to offer lunch and drinks. I do wish there was a larger non-alcoholic selection. Our adjoining rooms were clean and lovely, updated recently with balconies large enough for the four of us to dine picnic-style. The complimentary valet parking was a huge plus.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

Maybe the title is a little harsh. The hotel looks quite dated on the outside, but the inside has been renovated and is very clean and well kept. The linens were clean and comfortable and the room was very spacious. The staff was very friendly upon arrival and very informative when we asked about different things to do in the area and ideas about where to eat. And breakfast was FANTASTIC.. definitely not your run-of-the-mill hotel breakfast.

My biggest issue with this hotel was the soundproofing! Oh my goodness! At 6:30 in the morning I could hear entire conversations of the people staying in the room beside us. The next morning I was woken up before 6 am because of a cell phone going off in the other room beside us. That was really frustrating considering the premium rates we were paying for this room. When I am on vacation, I don't plan on sleeping the day away, but I would like to sleep peacefully until breakfast.

I also wasn't very impressed with the pool or the pool staff. I understand that at the beach, the pool isn't the most important thing, but based on the pictures, I thought it would be bigger and more accomidating. As for the pool staff, my boyfriend and I came up from the beach to get some water, and the person at the bar said he didn't have any on tap. Maybe that is true, but we really felt as though we were received as some kids just coming off the beach.

Overall, we did have a good experience at the Blockade Runner, and do to its fantastic location, we probably would stay there again (and just remeber to keep our AC running all morning to block out the other rooms)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Apex, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

I spent 2 nights with my family; a business for me, a leisure for them. They loved their stay. My son enjoyed the beach and swam a lot. The room was spacious and modern with amazing view of the Atlantic. I wish they put some rugs on the floor near the beds (it's cold tiles). Unfortunately for me, I can't really enjoyed the nice outdoor too much. The meeting room was not comfortable (a/c problem?) and since there's another group meeting, we had to use the same room for everything. Parking was full, but they helped with valet for free. I guess it's peak season in early August; come another time should be better.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

This resort is great. The rooms are big and really nice, with great views. The pool is really nice and so are the finely manicured lawns on which you can play soccer. You also can't beat the location on the beach and close proximity to the center of town with restaurants and bars.

If you never have to deal with the staff, this would be a great place. However, this is a big if. In my experience it was not just a single employee but everyone from the reception staff, waiters, and managers. If I didn't know better I would have guessed they all were at their first day of work. In all honesty the sheer incompetence of the management and staff was actually beyond the point of annoying to the point of being comic. It has supplied me with a ton of absolutely hilarious stories about complete ineptitude.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

My family and I stayed at this hotel for a three day "mini-vacation". We had a great time. Check in was such an easy process...we even got to check in an hour early. We had a very nice room. I booked an Atlantic Ocean view, two queen bed room. The room was immaculate. I felt very comfortable (I hate dirty floors in hotel rooms).
The bedding was nice and comfortable. Plenty of room for me, my husband, and two boys. Our room overlooked the beautiful pool area. Perfect view of the ocean and beach as well.
Ice service was avaliable twenty-four hours a day. All the employees were super friendly. They really acted like they valued our business. The breakfast was amazing. Not your typical hotel breakfast. It really was a great extra.
We had an amazing time....my four year old didn't want to leave! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

We rented 2 rooms in the tower building on the 7th floor. One room faced the ocean and one the intercoastal harbor. Both had stunning views. The rooms are adequate, not fancy considering the high August beach rate but certainly nice enough if you are there to enjoy the beach. The access to the beach is wonderful, the pool is refreshing and we totally enjoyed our stay there.
A few suggestions for management, the rooms need a safe. Especially since we are on the beach all day. Also, there is minimal places to hang up wet suits at the end of the day. There needs to be some hooks or a drying rack somewhere. Also, if this is a "resort" the outdoor pool bar should stay open later into the evening.
From the outside, the hotel looks dated but it is really very comfortable so don't let that fool you.
The breakfast was excellent. My only complaint is that it ended at 9:30am which is really early for those on vacation with teenagers. I would suggest 10:30.
While in Wrightsville Beach, we ate at Tower 7 (Mexcian) and South Beach Grill. Both were excellent casual places to eat.

Room Tip: Tower Building request a high floor. The other building the ocean front rooms have full balconies a...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

The rooms are very clean and comfortable - beds sleep great as long as you can
tune out the voices and snoring that you can hear through the walls! You are treated like
royalty from the time you check in til the time you check out. The pool furniture and atmosphere with the poolside grill & bar is awesome. Be careful about understanding the 2 types of balconies they offer: a juliette (non-walk out) and a premiere (walk-out)...big price
difference.

Room Tip: for a walk out balcony stay in the newer tower, weekday rates are much lower.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Blockade Runner? Share your experiences!