“great food, great service and great view” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Waynick Blvd
Transit: Private shuttle available to patrons visiting from the Wrightsville Beach local area. Please call the resort directly to arrange pick-up and drop off.
Description: Local. Oceanfront. Freshly Produced Every Evening.Custom Cuisine. Gluten-free. Vegetarian/Vegan. Raw. Just ask for the chef!Award-winning Executive Chef Mark Lawson takes pride in his tableside relationship with restaurant guests. Pair this with oceanfront indoor and outdoor seating and views of lush lawn skirting the surf. On-property herbs and greens, Mott’s Channel Seafood, Feast Down East’s Farmers’ Market produce, Organic Ashley Farms Chicken, Certified Angus Beef and Live Maine Lobster—this is our definition of dining out. Follow us on Facebook for up-to-the-minute updates on Thrifty Thursday, Friday Night Lobster, Saturday Prix Fixe, Sunday Brunch and new raw food specials inspired by Sarma Melngailis–owner of Pure Food & Wine, NYC–the first & foremost in Raw Food.Complimentary island limo shuttle available.
Charlotte, North Carolina
“great food, great service and great view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

The tuna and crab cakes are both wonderful.. good kids menu, they even made fried shrimp for my son and it was not on the menu.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I had read reviews and was nervous because we got the romantic package with the hotel and it included dinner on Sat. We actually decided to eat the Lobster dinner on Fri when we stayed at the hotel for our anniversary (5/4). It was amazing! The service was 5 star! Both servers Fri and Sat were fantastic. The food Sat was not as good as the Lobster, but lets be honest, what comes close to lobster?? I was pleasently surprised and will be eating there again next time we visit.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Greenville, SC
“Another great meal at East!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Like the previous reviewer, I had an excellent meal at East two summers ago that has stuck in my mind since as the best flounder I have ever eaten. I'm not normally a flounder fan. Red snapper, grouper, rare tuna or mountain trout is what I usually order, but that night I ordered sauteed flounder with a crab relish on top. Excellent! So, fast forward to last Friday night. My wife and I are in Wrightsville Beach again and decide to go back to East. We were seated at a nice table next to the window with a view of the lawn leading out to the beach. We started with the Farmstead Cheese plate which consisted of three cheeses, sliced sausage and accouterments. One of the best cheese plates we have eaten. For our entrees, again, I ordered the flounder, but this time with sauteed shrimp. Again, Excellent! My wife had the Chef's Duo with filet cooked medium rare and a crab cake. Both were excellent, but the crab cake was the best - big solid pieces of crab. Service was great, thanks Brice. Another great meal. We'll be back again next time.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Apex, North Carolina
“Execuive Chef Mark Lawson Should Hang His Head In Shame”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Several years ago I had one of those meals at East that was so delicious, the memory of every morsel seared itself into my brain cells . It was a Maryland crabcake, roasted asparagus in a beurre blanc sauce. I nearly licked the plate and then dreamed about it for months.

Having the chance to swing through Wilmington again, we decided we had to eat at East again. We arrived at about 8:30 pm and were soon the only patrons in the restaurant. My husband ordered the Day Boat Scallop "small plate" which included "Bronzed, lobster hash, pomegranate gastrique, Old Bay whipped cream" and I ordered the Chef's Duo which consisted of "Petite filet mignon, jumbo lump crabcake, potato mille fuille, spring vegetable
melange, demi glace, beurre blanc".

The trouble began when it became apparent that while we had bread plates at each seat, no bread of any kind was forthcoming. It took 30 minutes for dinner to arrive during which Husband enjoyed a glass of Four Sisters Shiraz. We discussed the garish new decor which included a few three foot tall floral centerpieces that reminded us of those evil, spore spewing flowers from an old Star Trek episode. Many of the tables had the most god-awful Easter decorations consisting of mutant chicks and rabbits. Most of the tables are boxy pedestal style which severely restricted your leg movement. I cannot imagine being a tall person and having to endure an evening of dining not being able to move your feet more than four inches.

Husband's scallop dish was a huge disappointment. The Old Bay whipped cream was inedible and had we really thought it through, the combination of a strongly savory spice mix with a fatty dairy product doesn't sound very appealing. As a native Marylander who grew up with Old Bay flowing in my veins, this was by far the worst variation of it I had ever encountered. The lobster hash was tasteless and what my husband described as a "pathetic attempt at being avant garde". There was so little pomegranate gastrique on the plate that it could not be tasted and might as well not been there at all.

My dinner faired better. My steak was perfectly cooked, the crab cake delicious, the spring vegetable mix acceptable and the potato mille fuille was an interesting way of presenting potatoes but nothing I'd rampage to Pinterest to try and find a recipe. What was notable about the dish was how tiny the proteins were. The filet and the crabcake were no larger than golf balls. The demi glace was there in abundance but that lovely beurre blanc sauce I had remembered was not. An uninspiring meal at a price of $29.00..

Since we had room in the stomach to spare, we ordered desserts. Readers of my reviews know I am a creme brulee freak and will order it in every restaurant we patronize. My thought is that if a chef cannot make a good creme brulee, he/she is probably lacking in mastering other culinary basics. My creme brulee came in a very shallow dish in which the custard portion of the dessert could not have been more than 1/2 inch thick. The process of caramelizing the sugar topping had heated the custard to the point where one could not enjoy the contrast between the warm, crackly hard topping and the soft, cold custard. Additionally, the caramelized sugar topping overpowered the taste of the custard because there was more of it. When I specifically dug out just a taste of the custard, I was unimpressed. That was the worst creme brulee I have had in a restaurant.

And now the coup de grace. My husband took one taste of his cheesecake and pushed it away declaring it utterly tasteless. I tried a corner of it and said, "Not tasteless. It's been in the refrigerator too long and has picked up other flavors." It was, without a doubt, refrigerator burned. On the plate beside the cheesecake was a brown, unappealing pile of we didn't know what. From the menu description it could have been a "pecan strussel (sic)" but nothing about screamed "pecan". It looked like dirt and tasted like burnt dirt. The menu mentioned a "berry coulis" but that did not make an appearance on the plate at all. When the waitress came around to ask how our desserts were, I requested that the cheesecake be removed from the bill due to the fact that the chef should hang his head in shame for ever sending such an abomination out of his kitchen. Waitress proceeds to inform us that executive chef Mark Lawson only comes in on weekends and mornings so that food we ate that night had been prepared by underlings. My point to her was that his name is plastered on the menu and it's his credibility at stake for managing his kitchen so that his staff produces quality food. East Restaurant served us a 1X3" piece of stale cheesecake at the whopping price of $8.00 because someone did not toss out food past its prime. Gordon Ramsey, where are you when we need you?

The waitress was apologetic and did take off the cheesecake from the bill. Her service was very good so no complaints there.

The final straw was as we were exiting the restaurant we noticed the grade the NC Health Department inspector had recently given the restaurant. It was a 92.5. Folks, in food service that is not considered an "A". There are fast food restaurants that get 105 point grades.

The final stake in this restaurant's heart was my husband removing East from his iPhone list of great restaurants to recommend.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Greenville, North Carolina
“Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Food quality was excellent. My wife had the mahi which was perfectly prepared. Waitstaff were friendly and thoroughly professional. Highly recommend.

Visited February 2013