“Nice hotel but rough around the edges” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   460 North Cherry Street, Winston Salem, NC 27101   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #16 of 36 Hotels in Winston Salem
seneca, sc
“Nice hotel but rough around the edges”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2007

We stayed at the Embassy Suites, Winston-Salem, Sat 6/16
and Sun 6/17 while attending a friends wedding anniversary
at the Marriott across the street. Check-in went fairly
smoothly, however our normal Hilton Honors room request
was messed up, but corrected within a few minutes. Our
room was spacious and clean. Bedding was attractive and
comfortable. Breakfast was a nightmare, at least a 30
minute wait. My guess is that the poor layout of the buffet
is a major contributor coupled with the fact that they only had
one cheff preparing the "made to order omelets" with only two
burners to work with. You'd think that when they have a rather
full house they would try to make accommodations for such a
crowd. I noted in a previous review that there were room-
service trays that remained in the hallway for several days.
We encountered the same problem, one directly at our front
door. Asked the front desk to have it removed and it was
mid-afternoon the following day before it was taken care of.
There is no working relationship between the hotel and the
adjoining parking facility. We were given free parking by our
hosts which had an incorrect date. One of the valets told me
that the gate was up so I could just drive out. Well, you guessed it, the gate wasn't up and the parking attendant
would not let me out without a signed pass from the valet
at the hotel. I had to repark the car and walk back to the hotel
to get the proper document. The hotel should have issued
the correct parking document in the first place, but they should
have a working relationship with the garage to deal with
problems that might arise.

In summary, this is a nice property with the necessary
attributes to make guests very comfortable. Management
should take care to correct some of the minor flaws and in so
doing totally please their guests which is what is all about.

I would take another chance on the place and stay here again
if in the area.

• Liked — Spacious suite, good bed
  • Disliked — Breakfast wait
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Northern Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2007

Booked through Hilton Honors program, so room was free. This was in the middle of the city, so parking was another $12. Front desk was ok - we asked a few times for things and were misdirected. Ended up asking the gentleman at valet parking and he was right on with directions and information. Rooms were big and clean, which is my big thing. Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2006

My wife and I stayed at this property 10/28 - 10/30/2006 while in town to visit our son for parents weekend at a local college. We chose this hotel because we have stayed there before and new they had a hot tub which we thought would be a nice place to relax with our son.

We were shocked and very disappointed to find the hot tub was disgustingly filthy, with dirty and slimy scum built up around the inside, and the water so yellowish and dirty that you could not see 2 feet deep into the water. When the hot tub was running there was dirty foam frothing on top of the water like you would find in a dirty lake. Even more shocking was that there were some people in it with their kids. YUCK!! I contacted the front desk and spoke to the night manager that was on duty and he of course apologized, but did not seem to have a sense of urgency about the issue. In addition to the hot tub issue, there were dirty breakfast dishes left in the hallway by other guests on our floor for almost 2 days.

The hot tub was so ridiculously filthy that I decided to take pictures of it to e-mail to Hilton Honors Guest Assistance along with a recap of our stay (attached to this review). After not receiving a response within a reasonable amount of time I contacted the Hilton Honors Diamond VIP desk and the person there was very helpful and understanding of the issue and explained that the General Manager of this hotel would contact me within 48 hours. After waiting 5 days for a response that never came, I again contacted the Hilton Honors Diamond VIP desk and had the good fortune of having the same person answer my call. She was very surprised that the GM did not contact me and took it upon herself to offer compensation for the problems along with a sincere apology for the lack of concern and follow up by the General Manager of the Embassy Suites in Winston-Salem. My guess is that it is this type of lack of attention and follow up that allowed this property to be in the poor shape it was in on our stay.

On the positive side, every employee we came in contact during our stay was very nice and helpful, even giving us a resturaunt tip that has become my favorite. I stay primarily at Hilton properties which have always been Above Average or Excellent with the best service of any hotel chain, and I am hopeful this property will get cleaned up so we can give them another chance.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2006

Good hotel. The parking is a little strange. They have $12 a day vallet service for unlimited in-out. The room was clean and updated and the bed was very comfortable. The hotel was packed because of some homecoming even but the halls and room was quiet.
The door to my room had about a 2 inch gap at the bottom which was wierd but didn't cause any problems since the bedroom is in another room.
The breakfast was good - although busy at 8:00 am. The hotel staff were very polite.

If you stay there is a great pizza place down the street. I've read some other reviewers talk about it so I had to check it out. It's really great. It's a younger crowd but the pizza is so good you won't even notice all the loud teens. They have a great beer list too.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Winston Salem, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2006

Beautiful hotel, never been around such sweet people and had such great service, I think I'll never go back to New York again, it was a whole new experience and I'll definitely be back.

• Liked — soooo comfortable, just like home
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Coopersburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2006

We stayed for 1 night and had a very pleasant experience. The hotel is beautiful - great parking attendents. The front desk staff was very helpful and pointed us to a great pizza place across the street - the Mellow Mushroom (a little loud, but fabulous food). The indoor pool area is clean and nice, but smells so strong of chlorine, we couldn't stay for long.

Stayed May 2006
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2006

This hotel is awesome. The front desk and staff throughout the hotel are the friendliest I have ever encountered in Winston-Salem. I will definitely be back. The rooms are the most beautiful I've ever seen in this city...all brand new, clean, well appointed. The free breakfast with the room is a big benefit since I travel with kids alot. I give it five stars.

Stayed April 2006

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Winston-Salem? Share your experiences!