“Hotel was fine, but...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 36 Hotels in Winston Salem
lick creek, KY
“Hotel was fine, but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We booked this hotel for our return from Myrtle Beach and upon arriving, we realized it was a mistake. The hotel was fine--no problems there, it was just small and was LITTERED with college students that were staying there to enroll that weekend. Probably should have taken the hint with it being on "university parkway", huh? Just walking down the hall we passed two large groups of kids with beers in hand. Not the hotel for a family with a 3 and 5 year old. HOWEVER--the hotel itself was nice and we wouldn't have had a problem at all staying there without this problem. The front desk staff was EXCEPTIONAL in that they helped us cancel our reservations with them and even booked us with another Courtyard a few minutes away. They didn't have to do that but they did and that just shows how wonderful they are. It wasn't their fault that they were overloaded with college kids so I can't hold that against them. The staff was friendly and wonderful. Again, I have no fault with the hotel at all, just wasn't the place for my family with all the college kids.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
CourtyardWS, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Winston-Salem University, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you so much fulltimemommy11 for your comments about our Courtyard. We are very pleased with our recent renovations and even though you had to move to the other Courtyard, we are happy that we were able to accomodate you. Please think of us the next time that you visit Winston-Salem.

Kind regards,

Courtyard Winston-Salem University

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Pasadena, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This was a spur of the moment stay but what a lovely experience! The front desk staff were so very pleasant and accommodating. The rooms were clean and very well kept. It's proximity to the stadium was a plus.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
CourtyardWS, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Winston-Salem University, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Greeting Salina P!! Thank you so much for the kind remarks about the hotel and your stay. Those last minute trips are always better if you have a good night's sleep. It is good to know that we did our job to make your brief visit in Winston-Salem a good experience. Please come back and visit when you have more time to enjoy all the wonderful things Winston-Salem has to offer!

Kind regards,

Nash
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

I travel quite a bit so I like do my reviews while they are still fresh on my mind! This Courtyard property was top rate! Check in/out was quick. Staff was friendly. Everyone that I passed greeted me with a hello & how are you!! Clean, nicely appointed room & it smelled new. Love that smell :) Restful night too!

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
CourtyardWS, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Winston-Salem University, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review. We are thrilled with the renovations and are so happy that you enjoyed your stay. Our staff is dedicated to making every guest comfortable during there stay. It is good to know that we hit the mark during your stay. Anytime that you are in the area please make us your first choice!

Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

PROS: Internet faster than most. Nicely renovated rooms. Large outdoor pool. Walk down the street to a wooded picnic area in a cul-de-sac. Right by the stadium.
CONS: No free breakfast. No affiliation with nearby health club.

I stayed here because the Fairfield at the Hanes Mall was sold out for 1 week. Hotels by the Hanes Mall are newer and much nicer.

But this hotel was up to Marriott standards. I wish they got rid of the "Bistro" and brought back the free breakfasts. No microwave in room. I would probably not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
CourtyardWS, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Winston-Salem University, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for leaving your comments. We love to recieve feedback from our guest. Your The Courtyard brand does not offer free breakfast, but some of our rates do include breakfast if you choose that option. I welcome the opportunity for you to come back, and breakfast will be on me! Again thank you for the wonderful review.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This hotel was very clean, quiet and convenient for events at the WFU stadium. You don't even need to drive. I was impressed with the staff - everyone was incredibly friendly and helpful. I attended a meeting at the stadium that reserved a block of rooms. I booked my room too late to take advantage of the block room rate, but they gave me the rate anyway when I checked in. I even left several items in the bathroom after I checked out, and their staff found them and mailed everything to me within the week. I would definitely stay here again! The only downfall and why I didn't give them 5 stars was that the Internet was out that night so I wasn't able to get online in my room, but there were computers in the lobby that were connected - I just didn't feel like getting out of my pjs.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
CourtyardWS, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Winston-Salem University, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Caligrl2013 thank you so much for the great comments about the hotel and the staff. We are deilghted that you enjoyed your stay, and experienced our newly renovated hotel. I'm not sure why the internet was not working, I will look into that for you. We look forward to accommodating you the next time you are in this area!
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

After I had tickets in hand for Elton John, I found that this hotel was walking distance the coliseum. So I booked a room in advance and got a good price. The rooms were nice and clean, newly renovated. Check-in was easy, though for some reason they did not charge my card in advance, so I had to pay when we got there. Public areas were clean and well lit, they had computers to use if needed, and food was available without leaving the premises. There are drinks in the lobby and you can buy snacks or beers as well. I got a drink that cost me 12 bucks and it was not big, so it is pricey! The hallways have low ceilings and have a tunnel like feel. The staff were very helpful and overall its a good place to stay. If you are seeing a concert at LJVM, this is the place to go! You can walk to a few restaruants nearby, including putters (see my review), a bbq joint and a few others, so you can park and not worry about driving!
It is not a spuer fancy place so if you are a four seasons regular, you may not be thrilled.
Overall a clean place with great staff and everything you need, so I recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
CourtyardWS, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Winston-Salem University, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
We appreciate your review. Our hotel provides convenience and a great location. We are very happy with the newly renovated rooms and re so glad that you enjoyed your stay! We look forward to seeing you soon!

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Well yes after securing tickets to see Elton John,(my wifes favorite) I would walk to see him as he is excelleant in concert. I would walk beacuse I was lucky enough to get a room at the Courtyard right next to the LJVM where he was playing. Can you say accross the street. If you have any function at Wake Forest University this Marriott is more than adequate. Not sure why some have posted mixed reviews because this place has been renovated, the rooms are fresh and the beds are comfortable. Pillows, bathroom, soaps, all are top shelf. The staff was warm and friendly and went out of their way with suggestions, directions and Starbucks in the Bistro is a plus. (I would have the coffee available all day instead of closing at 10am. The place has some good resturants around it and all and all the place is a great value for AAA members. I do know that some, after the concert, had trouble parking in to hotel because the hotel did not police the parking lot and several concert goers took some spaces to save money. We did not have that problem as we parked and walked to dinner and the show. A great show; a great night; a special weekend and the Courtyard by Marriott added to the experience. Go you will not be sorry, this hotel was worth the money, great loacation.

Room Tip: Putters accross the street great food.