“Charming hotel.” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   200 Brookstown Avenue, Winston Salem, NC 27101   |
Ranked #4 of 39 hotels in Winston Salem
“Charming hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed there for only one night. Very friendly staff. Beds were comfortable. Room was very large. Loved the exposed brick and wooden beams. It was very convenient to downtown Winston Salem. Parking was easy.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

71 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Woking, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We booked this place based on tripadvisor reviews and we were not disappointed. It's very different from the usual hotels being a converted factory so the rooms have lots of character. The welcome wine and cheese is fun and the breakfast was good. It's ideally located for Old Salem and it wasn't a long walk into town for dinner. There was a wedding rehearsal dinner quite near to our room the evening we arrived (with disco) but much to our surprise we didn't hear a thing. There were two things which stops me giving this an excellent, one minor and one major. No safes in the rooms which is a nuisance for overseas visitors who do not want to have to carry round their passports and travel documents. The major issue is that although it advertises free wifi (and we booked it because of this) the wifi apparently will not work with Android devices. This is not stated anywhere in the publicity where free wifi is advertised. Android devices are not uncommon (we both have them) so we couldn't use the wifi. We were only there for a short time so it wasn't serious but it could have been had we needed it. They just need to warn people that their wifi (unique in any hotel we have ever stayed in) will not work with Android devices.

Christiansburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

I stay at Brookstown a few times a year. It has great character and ambience. It is in the historic district and close to old Sal. There are good places to eat nearby... Great management and staff. They work to ensure a good experience. Highly recommended for vacation, getaways, or any occasion.
Hal Adams

• Stayed July 2014
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here for a night. You are a few minutes walk from Old Salem and many restaurants. Our room on the top floor was huge with alot of character: exposed brick and wooden beams. The hotel is in a former factory built in the 1800's. Every need was met, comfortable room and very peaceful courtyard with wine and cheese in the evening. The Brookstown Inn and the surrounding area is a perfect getaway.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
BrookstownInn, General Manager at Brookstown Inn, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you for choosing the Historic Brookstown Inn and for taking the time to write a great review! I’m so glad you enjoyed your room on the top floor, as they are unique from all other rooms in their layout and view of the courtyard and downtown Winston-Salem. I’m also very happy that you were able to enjoy a peaceful evening in the courtyard during the wine and cheese reception. Our goal is for every guest to have a relaxing time and rest in a comfortable clean room!
We appreciate you recommending us to other travelers and look forward to you returning the next time you need a “getaway”!
Pell City, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My daughter and I were traveling in NC & looking for a last minute place to rest our heads. We arrived just after midnight and the receptionist quickly checked us into the corner room closest to the front desk. My jaw dropped at the beauty, spaciousness & cleanliness of the room. This room was twice as large as the hotel room we had paid the same amount for the previous night in another city. Not only that, but it was spotless, with beautiful wood floors, exposed brick & wooden beams. There were chocolates on our pillows & the beds were nicely appointed with white matelasse covers. There was a HUGE closet in the room, as well as an armoire with extra pillows.The bathroom was equally spacious & clean. Evidently a converted manufacturing building, the hotel itself is richly appointed and full of character & artwork. Connecting through a lovely brick courtyard is the local tourism office. The staff there were also super friendly & helpful. It's worth a walk over just to take in the beautiful old building. A photographer's dream! I'll bet my daughter and I took a hundred pics of the room/hotel/building! We were also pleasantly surprised to be treated to a free continental breakfast. (Oh, I almost forgot to mention there was also a Keurig in our room with a variety of kcups!!) I could write all day about this place, because I love it when I find a treasure like this. Don't stay at a roadside chain if you're within 100 miles of this place! You'll love it!

Room Tip: We stayed in the corner room closest to front desk. It was huge and wonderful! I will request it aga...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
BrookstownInn, General Manager at Brookstown Inn, responded to this review, 4 days ago
We were so delighted to have you and your daughter as our guests! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with others, and I’m so glad you had a wonderful stay. My housekeeping staff takes pride in providing a clean room filled with all the extras for you to enjoy while away from home. The Keurig coffee makers get a lot of compliments and I’m glad you love them too! I really appreciate you recommending us to other travelers. Those are the best compliments we can hope for. We look forward to you staying with us again next time you are passing through town! Also, thanks for sharing your pictures!
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Read on--you'll understand why. The Brookstown Inn in Winston-Salem, NC, was built in 1837. Upon check-in you'll get a booklet with all the dates and background information. It's quite interesting. When you look up booking information on the net, you'll see that they have 70 guest rooms--standard, junior suites and executive suites. You'll see photos of the rooms and a list of the amenities, which include mini fridge, microwave, Keurig coffee maker, fitness room, conference and banquet facilities and a wedding venue fit for a small Kardashian gathering. You'll see the packages they offer and the very reasonable nightly rates. You'll be greeted by friendly staff members who are eager to make your stay a pleasant experience. The Inn is all that and a bag of chips--but here's the real heartbeat of this conveniently located, well-appointed, well-maintained property--a tabby cat, named Sally. The hotel is not pet-friendly, but this little furry girl didn't know it when she showed up at the door one afternoon. Someone couldn't resist giving her a bite to eat, and we all know what that means. Oh, yes. She stretched out in the courtyard and surveyed her new kingdom. Now, here comes the part that will make you say, "Awwwww." Poor little Sally needed to be seen by a vet, so the hotel's manager took her to a local DVM. The doctor treated her, scanned her for a micro-chip and came up with the owner's name, address and phone number--in Washington state! The manager called the owner, who was totally shocked that her cat showed up thousands of miles away. No one but the cat knows how she made the trip. The owner didn't want to pay airfare for Sally's return, but there was no need for her to offer. Sally is a Carolina Girl now. So, when you book your visit to this lovely inn, enjoy every delightful moment of your stay. The Brookstown Inn epitomizes the term, "Southern Hospitality." And when you see Sally sitting at the courtyard door patiently waiting for someone to let her in so she can go in to have a bite to eat, be the purrrfect guest and open it for her.

Room Tip: Old Salem is within walking distance if you're dressed for sightseeing. Wouldn't recommend...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this great review and for giving us 5 Stars! We really appreciate you noticing the details, and we strive to take care of all of them. I will be sure and pass your compliments along to the staff. Sally is a special kitty and we’re lucky to have her given her long travel history across the country. Thank you for being a valued guest, and I hope you will stay with us again next time you travel to Winston-Salem!

“Historic Inn Is The Cat's Meow”
Charleston, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and I booked a room at the Brookstown Inn for a Sunday through Thursday night. When we first arrived, I was excited to stay there. We usually stay at Marriott's or Embassy Suite's but decided to do something different for this trip. When we arrived, we checked in and made our way to our room (room 222). The first thing we noticed about our room was how noisy it was! It was extremely loud because of the boiler, I'm guessing. We thought that a little noise wouldn't bother us so we decided not to ask for a different room in another location. The room itself was very nice and quaint. Huge exposed brick wall and very high ceilings. But, the outlets in the room were so old they wouldn't charge anything (a cellphone, computer, or even keep the iron turned on). This wouldn't have been a big deal but I was in Winston - Salem on business and would need to charge my phone. Also, if you like to be cool or cold while you sleep, look at a different hotel! This place is beyond HOT. The room itself has a thermostat so it looks like you can control the a/c but you can't. We asked the front desk if any of the rooms were cooler and they basically said no and gave us a little box fan to use. The final straw was that my diamond earrings were stolen off of my night stand. I don't like to accuse anybody of anything but my earrings were next to the bed Monday night, Tuesday we were gone from the room and housekeeping cleaned up, when we were returned Tuesday afternoon the earrings were gone. You do the math. My husband and I actually ended up checking out early and going to the Embassy Suites down the road. It was AMAZING!!! I would NOT recommend the Brookstown Inn!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
BrookstownInn, General Manager at Brookstown Inn, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your stay. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations in several areas, and this is not the typical response we receive from our guests. We are always happy to accommodate requests for rooms in certain parts of the property, and I do wish you had brought your concerns and missing earrings to my attention or another staff member. It is my sincere intent to make sure every guest has a wonderful experience, and I would love the opportunity to change your mind about the Historic Brookstown Inn. If you would like to discuss further, please do not hesitate to give me a call at (336)725-1120.
Thanks again for your feedback, and we do hope to have the opportunity to give you a great stay next time you are in town.

Been to Brookstown Inn? Share your experiences!