“Love this place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 39 hotels in Winston Salem
Christiansburg, Virginia
“Love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

I stay at Brookstown a few times a year. It has great character and ambience. It is in the historic district and close to old Sal. There are good places to eat nearby... Great management and staff. They work to ensure a good experience. Highly recommended for vacation, getaways, or any occasion.
Hal Adams

• Stayed July 2014

69 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here for a night. You are a few minutes walk from Old Salem and many restaurants. Our room on the top floor was huge with alot of character: exposed brick and wooden beams. The hotel is in a former factory built in the 1800's. Every need was met, comfortable room and very peaceful courtyard with wine and cheese in the evening. The Brookstown Inn and the surrounding area is a perfect getaway.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Pell City, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My daughter and I were traveling in NC & looking for a last minute place to rest our heads. We arrived just after midnight and the receptionist quickly checked us into the corner room closest to the front desk. My jaw dropped at the beauty, spaciousness & cleanliness of the room. This room was twice as large as the hotel room we had paid the same amount for the previous night in another city. Not only that, but it was spotless, with beautiful wood floors, exposed brick & wooden beams. There were chocolates on our pillows & the beds were nicely appointed with white matelasse covers. There was a HUGE closet in the room, as well as an armoire with extra pillows.The bathroom was equally spacious & clean. Evidently a converted manufacturing building, the hotel itself is richly appointed and full of character & artwork. Connecting through a lovely brick courtyard is the local tourism office. The staff there were also super friendly & helpful. It's worth a walk over just to take in the beautiful old building. A photographer's dream! I'll bet my daughter and I took a hundred pics of the room/hotel/building! We were also pleasantly surprised to be treated to a free continental breakfast. (Oh, I almost forgot to mention there was also a Keurig in our room with a variety of kcups!!) I could write all day about this place, because I love it when I find a treasure like this. Don't stay at a roadside chain if you're within 100 miles of this place! You'll love it!

Room Tip: We stayed in the corner room closest to front desk. It was huge and wonderful! I will request it aga...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
BrookstownInn, General Manager at Brookstown Inn, responded to this review, 2 days ago
We were so delighted to have you and your daughter as our guests! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with others, and I’m so glad you had a wonderful stay. My housekeeping staff takes pride in providing a clean room filled with all the extras for you to enjoy while away from home. The Keurig coffee makers get a lot of compliments and I’m glad you love them too! I really appreciate you recommending us to other travelers. Those are the best compliments we can hope for. We look forward to you staying with us again next time you are passing through town! Also, thanks for sharing your pictures!
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Read on--you'll understand why. The Brookstown Inn in Winston-Salem, NC, was built in 1837. Upon check-in you'll get a booklet with all the dates and background information. It's quite interesting. When you look up booking information on the net, you'll see that they have 70 guest rooms--standard, junior suites and executive suites. You'll see photos of the rooms and a list of the amenities, which include mini fridge, microwave, Keurig coffee maker, fitness room, conference and banquet facilities and a wedding venue fit for a small Kardashian gathering. You'll see the packages they offer and the very reasonable nightly rates. You'll be greeted by friendly staff members who are eager to make your stay a pleasant experience. The Inn is all that and a bag of chips--but here's the real heartbeat of this conveniently located, well-appointed, well-maintained property--a tabby cat, named Sally. The hotel is not pet-friendly, but this little furry girl didn't know it when she showed up at the door one afternoon. Someone couldn't resist giving her a bite to eat, and we all know what that means. Oh, yes. She stretched out in the courtyard and surveyed her new kingdom. Now, here comes the part that will make you say, "Awwwww." Poor little Sally needed to be seen by a vet, so the hotel's manager took her to a local DVM. The doctor treated her, scanned her for a micro-chip and came up with the owner's name, address and phone number--in Washington state! The manager called the owner, who was totally shocked that her cat showed up thousands of miles away. No one but the cat knows how she made the trip. The owner didn't want to pay airfare for Sally's return, but there was no need for her to offer. Sally is a Carolina Girl now. So, when you book your visit to this lovely inn, enjoy every delightful moment of your stay. The Brookstown Inn epitomizes the term, "Southern Hospitality." And when you see Sally sitting at the courtyard door patiently waiting for someone to let her in so she can go in to have a bite to eat, be the purrrfect guest and open it for her.

Room Tip: Old Salem is within walking distance if you're dressed for sightseeing. Wouldn't recommend...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this great review and for giving us 5 Stars! We really appreciate you noticing the details, and we strive to take care of all of them. I will be sure and pass your compliments along to the staff. Sally is a special kitty and we’re lucky to have her given her long travel history across the country. Thank you for being a valued guest, and I hope you will stay with us again next time you travel to Winston-Salem!

“Historic Inn Is The Cat's Meow”
Charleston, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and I booked a room at the Brookstown Inn for a Sunday through Thursday night. When we first arrived, I was excited to stay there. We usually stay at Marriott's or Embassy Suite's but decided to do something different for this trip. When we arrived, we checked in and made our way to our room (room 222). The first thing we noticed about our room was how noisy it was! It was extremely loud because of the boiler, I'm guessing. We thought that a little noise wouldn't bother us so we decided not to ask for a different room in another location. The room itself was very nice and quaint. Huge exposed brick wall and very high ceilings. But, the outlets in the room were so old they wouldn't charge anything (a cellphone, computer, or even keep the iron turned on). This wouldn't have been a big deal but I was in Winston - Salem on business and would need to charge my phone. Also, if you like to be cool or cold while you sleep, look at a different hotel! This place is beyond HOT. The room itself has a thermostat so it looks like you can control the a/c but you can't. We asked the front desk if any of the rooms were cooler and they basically said no and gave us a little box fan to use. The final straw was that my diamond earrings were stolen off of my night stand. I don't like to accuse anybody of anything but my earrings were next to the bed Monday night, Tuesday we were gone from the room and housekeeping cleaned up, when we were returned Tuesday afternoon the earrings were gone. You do the math. My husband and I actually ended up checking out early and going to the Embassy Suites down the road. It was AMAZING!!! I would NOT recommend the Brookstown Inn!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
BrookstownInn, General Manager at Brookstown Inn, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your stay. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations in several areas, and this is not the typical response we receive from our guests. We are always happy to accommodate requests for rooms in certain parts of the property, and I do wish you had brought your concerns and missing earrings to my attention or another staff member. It is my sincere intent to make sure every guest has a wonderful experience, and I would love the opportunity to change your mind about the Historic Brookstown Inn. If you would like to discuss further, please do not hesitate to give me a call at (336)725-1120.
Thanks again for your feedback, and we do hope to have the opportunity to give you a great stay next time you are in town.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My husband and I did a weekend "staycation" in Winston-Salem and checked out the Brookstown Inn. We were not disappointed! The Inn was well furnished, super clean, and came with great amenities. We stayed in the Old Salem Suite, which was absolutely enormous, with a gorgeous bathroom. The room had a Keurig, a mini fridge, and a very nice sitting area with a flat screen television. Our only complaint in the room was that the mattress was pretty uncomfortable - but that could just be a personal preference. We enjoyed the evening wine & cheese reception featuring local wines. We weren't around the property for the nighttime milk & cookies, but are sure they would have been great as well. The breakfast served is your typical continental breakfast and they were running a bit low on some items by the time we arrived. However, the Inn was completely booked for the weekend we were there, so they were probably just trying to keep up. :) The Inn is located in close proximity to downtown, which made it very convenient for our dinner at 6th & Vine and our lunch at Senor Bravos (which is across the street). We'll be back again!

Room Tip: The suites are to die for - splurge if you can! ;)
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
BrookstownInn, General Manager at Brookstown Inn, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Review response:
Thank you for recommending the Historic Brookstown Inn and sharing your experience with others! I, too, think Winston-Salem is a wonderful place for a “staycation”. I’m delighted that you enjoyed our amenities as well as the beautiful Old Salem Suite. The wine and cheese reception in the Brookstown Parlor and milk and cookies at nighttime are special treats for all of our guests to enjoy.
Downtown Winston-Salem is very walkable, has the best variety of restaurants and dining, and plenty of history to explore. Thanks again for taking the time to give us an EXCELLENT review, and we hope you will come back soon for another getaway!
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I went there only because it was site of a conference for work. The floorplan is rather eclectic--it has no rhyme or reason so it is confusing. The hardwood floors are beautiful and well kept. The staff is nice and really accommodating. The rooms are very spacious and the bathrooms are modern and spacious for the building to be so old. The afternoon wine and cheese reception is nice and again the bartender was very friendly. The wi-fi however only works if you are using an Apple product. I even found the cat amusing even though I despise cats.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thanks for your GREAT review on TripAdvisor! Our business travelers are in for a nice surprise, especially if they are accustomed to staying in regular franchise brand hotels! The Inn was converted from an early Cotton Mill (2 buildings built in 1837 + 1887) to an upscale Inn featuring oversized rooms in 1984. We recently had a change of ownership and underwent a wonderful renovation. Thank you for noticing the beautiful hardwood floors as well as the accommodating staff. They do a great job at making all guests feel right at home. I’m glad you enjoyed the wine and cheese reception in the Brookstown Parlor. Our Bartender has quite the personality and keeps us all intrigued and entertained. Thanks for telling us about the wi-fi not working on non-Apple products as it should. We were able to re-set the system for it to properly function.
Thanks again for sharing your experience with others, and we look forward to you staying with us again next time you are in Winston-Salem.

Been to Brookstown Inn? Share your experiences!