“One of my FAVORITE restaurants in Winston Salem” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #61 of 515 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian, French, Contemporary, Continental
Good for: Entertaining clients, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“One of my FAVORITE restaurants in Winston Salem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

My husband and I love trying out new restaurants anywhere! As residents of Winston Salem I found out about the Meridian and decided to try it out. Though I have only been twice so far, each time has been an EXCELLENT experience! The wait staff, the quality/choice of food, the atmosphere, everything is wonderful! They have great choices of wine and the menu changes so its not the same thing everytime. First time I went the menu had pheasant and it was the best pheasant I've eaten before (though it was my first time too lol). The second time I got the "Duck 5 ways." As usual the quality was delicious! I highly recommend this restaurant to everyone in Winston who wants a great meal! Its a great place to take your date or for a special occasion. Either way, try this place out! :-)

• Visited January 2012

High Point, North Carolina
“Very nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

Had dinner on Saturday, Feb 4.
Good service, diverse menu and the
desert menu is out of here.
We had a very nice meal in a lively
setting. Reasonable prices for
what it is.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Winston-Salem, NC
“Beautiful evening for 6”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

Took our adult children and spouses for splurge dinner--food was magnificent and service wonderful. We were initially seated at a window table as requested, however it was far too close to the open kitchen with warming lights shining in our eyes. I requested a move to another table--in center of main restaurant room and everything was perfect from that point forward. We had cocktails, shared appetizers, a selection of main dishes--grouper, duck, and pork bellies--shared 3 desserts, had wine and at least one after dinner drink. The service was unobtrusive, pleasant and helpful--just the way I like it--no fake obsequious patter. Will definitely take the family again. It was not inexpensive, but most fine restaurants are in a range these days and this one offered a lot for that range.

• Visited December 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
“The very best upscale dining in Winston Salem that uses the freshest ingredients.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

This is my favorite restaurant in Winston right now. The menu changes daily so you can have a different experience every time you go. All the entrees are beyond perfection and they use the freshest ingredients. You can tell what a difference it makes when a place uses excellent quality and fresh ingredients. The waitstaff are always so very friendly and knowledgeable about their menu and can give great advice if your unsure of your choice. I also love that it is contemporary decor. We come here at least once a month. We always call ahead and make reservations (suggested). The pan seared scallops with risotto is my very favorite dish here, but you really can't go wrong no matter what you choose!

• Visited November 2011
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Expensive Doesn't Necessarily Mean Good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

Dinner here was expensive, which I expected, and very disappointing, which I did not expect. This is a nicely decorated, well lit restaurant in a multifunctional building, and the signage is not clearly visible from the street at night, so if it is a first trip, beware.

The bar is large, and beautiful - I could definitely see this as an attractive watering hole, but perhaps too quiet for some tastes. The dining area is a open rectangle, with just adequate spacing between the tables, so there is little feeling of intimacy here. We were greeted and seated promptly, and our cocktail order quickly taken by our charming and knowledgeable wait person, JJ - this was looking good.
We were brought some slices of a very soft, white bread along with a small bowl of olive oil. The bread was not the the best textured for dipping in seasoned olive oil, it cries out for some crusty bread with some heft.

This restaurant posts its menu on its website daily, so we already were familiar with what was being offered, and rather oddly there were no additions. We had decided on appetizers that are not on every restaurant's menu, Steak Tartare and Duck Foie Gras, followed by entrees of Sauteed Veal Scaloppini and a Whole Roasted NC Flounder, accompanied by a bottle of Fog Dog Pinot Noir.

The Steak Tartare was in a molded form, almost gelatinous in nature, different than any presentation I had encountered before. Any mustard, capers, onions, sauces, or egg yolk where either already in the mixture, or were not present. The wafer-like gaufrettes which accompanied the Tartare were not substantial enough for this dish. All in all, not something I would reorder or recommend.

The Peppered Seared Duck Foie Gras was perfectly cooked and the taste was heavenly. It was plated on top of wafer thin slices of pear, which were difficult to marry with the Foie Gras because of the thinness. Great taste, how accompanied may need some work.
The Veal Scaloppinni was served with Parmigiano polenta, spinach, and mushrooms with a Madeira pan sauce. The entire dish was just food messed about with the polenta being the only redeeming item. The spinach tasted overwhelmingly of garlic, the veal became lost in the sauce. Again no reorder or recommendation here.

The Whole NC Flounder was pretty on the plate, but was absolutely not fresh, and was overcooked - the fish simply had no hint of moisture - this was just a bad dish to serve. The same spinach was part of this dish as well - two orders of a bad dish does not help. Obviously, no reorder or recommendation, again.

Undaunted, we pushed on, endeavoring to persevere - we ordered the Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee and the Rum Raisin Bread Pudding, hoping to salvage some aspect of the meal, not looking for a tie, but perhaps a moral victory.
The Creme Brulee was perfect, simply among the best of this dish I've tasted at a restaurant in this area since the Gate City Chop House closed. The Bread Pudding was dry, lacked flavor, and was under-sauced.

The checked weighted in at $163, before tip. This was an expensive mistake, not to be repeated. Sometimes you can concluded that a meal went south because the wrong dishes were chosen, but when the lack of freshness, taste, and poor preparation are this pervasive, a different choice isn't likely to change the outcome

• Visited May 2011