“Always wonderful food, service and the owners are fantastic!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #188 of 570 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
“Always wonderful food, service and the owners are fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

While our daughter was attending Wake Forest University we found this to be our home away from home. The food and service are wonderful. We held our graduation dinner there. Joe, Molly and staff took care of everything from decorations to dinner. The evening was enchanting! The owners and staff even had gifts for us! We are only sorry we won't be nearby. We will miss everything about 1703!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
“Great place for a celebration - or just dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Our party of 8 celebrated our son's graduation at 1703 based on a few web recommendations and the fact that they were open for a Sunday night dinner. I was a little freaked out - there were not many reviews. It was excellent.
The restaurant is in what was probably a shop, not far (3 miles) from the Wake Forest campus. Good parking, restaurant well laid out, small, comfortable, not pretentious but a white-tablecloth kind of place. Full bar, terrific wine list. We had brought a cake to celebrate and they whisked it away. Food was very good, mostly locally sourced with vegetarian options. Some had salmon with forbidden rice, others pork, trout, steak, grouper. They brought out the cake on a large silver platform, with candles at the right time with no prompting. Service excellent all around and this was after 9:30 p.m. on a Sunday when service at some restaurants is less than good.
I wish I had know about this place when my son started school because I want to go back!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
1703Restaurant, Owner at 1703 Restaurant, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Nancy,
Thank you very much for your fantastic review. We love to hear what our guests value in a dining experience. We hope you can find a reason to come back to visit us in Winston-Salem and please tell your friends about us, who have kids at Wake Forest University.
We wish your son great success in the next phase of his life.
Thanks again.
Molly Curran
North Carolina
“First visit in several years”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

One of our friends said he had his eye on 1703 for awhile and wanted to give it a try. Last Friday, we did. My wife and I had been there once before and it was good, but it dropped off our radar for a number of years, so this was our second visit.

I ordered the rack-of-lamb, medium-rare and it was perfectly charred on the outside and reddish pink on the inside, tender and tasty. It was served with grilled asparagus and creamed potatoes flavored with bleu-cheese which were tasty, but not overly "cheesy." My wife had a petite filet, with the same asparagus along with a scalloped style potato. I had a taste of the potato dish and it was perfect.

We all started with a spring mix style green salad with a dressing laced with a good Stilton and we were all happy with the salad. Our server was attentive but allowed us to just enjoy our meals and conversation without undue interruption. We didn't indulge in dessert but I had a cup of the brewed coffee which was just fine.

The price point was on the high-side, but the ingredients were extremely high-quality and fresh. In comparing other Winston-Salem restaurants at this price-point, I thought our portions were a few percentage points larger at 1703 than at other local white table cloth dining rooms.

We all went away happy with our meals and will return.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
North Carolina
“Great food and service!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We went on a Friday night about 7:30, and the place was surprisingly quiet. It was mostly an older group, as has been mentioned, but I think that might be because they've had time to find this delicious place!! We had lamb and a filet, both of which were cooked perfectly and paired with wonderful side dishes. Everything was well-seasoned and delicious! We had great suggestions for wines, and I liked both so much that I tried to find where to purchase them at retail. When I did this, I discovered that they were both from very small, boutique vineyards, so someone at the restaurant is taking their time to bring in quality beverages. We had a dessert sampler of three small portions of the chocolate mousse, creme brulee, and bread pudding. It was such a nice atmosphere, and I will be sure to be back!!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Mocksville, North Carolina
“Senior Center”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband and I along with 3 other couples (all in our mid-30's) chose 1703 Restaurant for our New Years Eve dinner. No one in our party had ever been to the restaurant before but we were intrigued by the reviews and menu. We were quite shocked when we walked in for our 8pm reservations. First off, every man in the restaruant had on a coat and tie. There is no mention of a dress code on the website or when we made reservations. None of the men in our group had on a coat or tie. The second thing that struck me was that we were the youngest people in the restaurant by at least 20 years. Neatless to say our group felt like a bit of a spectacle in the middle of this restaurant surrounded by senoir citizens all in coats & ties.

As for the food, it was good but over priced. My husband ordered the scallops and got three scallops, literally. Portions are very small on all plates. However, all eight folks in my group enjoyed the food. The wait staff was very gracious despite the fact that our table was the loudest in the place by far.

All in all we would most likely not return to this restaurant.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
1703Restaurant, Owner at 1703 Restaurant, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Craver Family,
Thank you for you review of 1703 restaurant. I am so sorry you felt uncomfortable in our restaurant. Our goal is quite the opposite, I assure you. We do not have a dress code. On New Year's Eve, however, people tend to be more dressed up than usual. On another night you might find as many diners who were dressed casually.
Admittedly, most of our clientele is over 40, but we are offering many incentives to attract diners of every age group. Our menu is rather cutting edge and it sounds as though you enjoyed your meal. We do hope that you did not leave hungry! We have been in business for 12 years and are constantly tweaking our portion size. It seems as though the size that we offer currently satisfies most of our clientele. Our ingredients are of the highest quality and therefore come with a higher price tag.
I do hope you will give us another chance to serve you and your group on a night that is not so formal.
Again, thank you for the feedback. We aim to please everyone!