“Lots of choices from a huge menu, but question overall freshness.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jimmy's Oyster Bar & Seafood

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Lancaster, Pa.
“Lots of choices from a huge menu, but question overall freshness.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My sisters and I ventured into this large restaurant in Winston-Salem, NC. Wait time, because of our reservations, was minimal. Our server, Brandyn, was very attentive and friendly and that helped make the overall experience better. The menu was huge, with inserts in plastic menu covers that were somewhat soiled. The size of the menu is quite overwhelming (3-4 sections), and makes the diner wonder about freshness of this huge variety of seafood products. I'm sure much of it is frozen. I had clams, and one sister had the oysters followed by flounder, and the other one had the scallops. My clams were chewy and lacked a fresh taste (I love clams and know what the fresh ones taste like), the sister with the oysters/flounder really enjoyed her meal, which is why I gave this restaurant 4 stars, and the sister with the scallops said they were "ok". I'm new to the area, but not so sure I would return to this restaurant.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Delicious food + the Best Staff EVER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

My husband and I went to Jimmy's tonight and loved it! From the tasty, bountiful food to the excellent service... we had a fabulous dining experience. I had the admiral platter and could barely get through it all. My husband had the baby back ribs... he barely touched them, but not because they weren't good, but he was already stuffed after a scrumptious blooming onion, hush puppies that could literally melt in your mouth, and the pre-dinner salad. The service was top notch. Our server, Anton was ahhhhmazing! We could want for nothing, and even the other servers and manager were pleasant and very attentive. The atmosphere is casual, the music was perfect for the setting, and the place was packed. I can't believe we haven't been there before tonight, but we will definitely be back. Signed, One Happy Customer.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
NC
“Beats Red Lobster hands-down”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We have not been to a Red Lobster in....well, I don't know how long. Jimmy's is so much better in the seafood category. They have more than your typical fried fish like RL seems to always have.

This is hubby's favorite local seafood restaurant.

Now, I will say that the service can be so much better. We have never had to wait here, even when arriving at 6pm on a Friday or Saturday night. They have one section where the tables are so close together that my petite 14 year old daughter cannot even squeeze into a chair if someone is behind it at the other table. Each time they have tried to put us here, I always request to be seated somewhere else.

There have also been times when we have waited a very long time for the food. Sometimes 45 minutes.

Hubby really loves the mahi-mahi and yellowfin, so we do go several times a year.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
nc
“Just average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I have been here several times. Nice decor, good wait staff. Food is nothing special. I wish they would try more unique dishes. I am not sure they use fresh seafood from our NC coastal waters but I wish they would.

Visited June 2012
Los Angeles
“The food was good but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My friend who was a local here recommended this as one of the better seafood restaurants around. We decided to give this a try for one of our dinner outings. The three of us ordered separate things and they were all just decent, not excellent. What I did not like most was the feeling like we were asking to be rushed out. We arrived when the restaurant was empty, but wanted to sit and talk a little more. The restaurant began filling up and our waitress wanted us out so she can seat another group. Maybe we would have given it a 4 instead of a 3 if the service was a little better.

Visited September 2012