“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars

Got a photo?
Add it.
You added Henry F. Shaffner House to your Saves list
Henry F. Shaffner House
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   150 South Marshall Street, Winston Salem, NC 27101   |
CAROLINAS
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2008

Chris and Michelle are extremely friendly. Chris cooked a wonderful breakfast of eggnog french toast!! Wine and cheese was great! Relaxing place to stay. Beautiful! You will not be disappointed! Convenient to downtown!

• Liked — size of the house, location to downtown, upkeep, owners
  • Disliked — parking was difficult with 1-way streets
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2008

I highly recommend the Shaffner House Inn when you stay in WS. The hosts were gracious and pleasant, the home has historic charm and character, the beds were comfortable and cozy on a cold, snowy night, and the breakfast was delicious! Staying at the Shaffner House Inn provided a welcomed retreat after a long day at a professional conference! I plan to stay there every time I visit Winston-Salem.

• Liked — B & B atmosphere
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Asheboro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2008

We had a great stay over at the Shaffner House. The hospitality was outstanding as was the rooms and the food. Thanks for a great night and look forward to another wonderful stay. Thanks - thevisionband.net David Howard

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Tampa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Shaffner House in the Forsyth Suite for three nights during Wake Forest's parent's weekend.

We were quite disappointed. We checked in on Thursday evening and did not get to meet the owners. We stayed for three nights and never once had anyone greet us. In fact the only person we saw the entire time was our breakfast server. The breakfast on Friday morning was only served until 8:30. We just barely made breakfast, which was a very flat omelet, a small slice of watermelon and a slice of orange. Because of our experience we choose to eat breakfast for the rest of the stay at the Mid-Town Cafe (Which was GREAT)

Our room, the Forsyth Suite, is on the basement level down a very steep and narrow flight of stair. There is no natural light and the ceilings are very low. The room is directly under the kitchen and the noise from the kitchen woke us up very early each day. Not a very pleasant experience. The room is advertised as having a “Private Garden” This was NOT the case, the door to the outside is marked as “NOT an EXIT - will set off an alarm”. It also said it had a Private Shower Room. Not so…it was a regular tub with a shower head that didn’t work and my husband had to fix. The TV in the bedroom was ancient and very small. They did have a large jetted tub in between the bedroom and sitting room, but the layout was not very conducive to enjoying a long soak.

I normally love staying at Bed & Breakfasts, but this experience was definitely not one that I would want to repeat.

• Liked — The house was quite grand
  • Disliked — The room and the location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
LoveOurGuests, Owner at Henry F. Shaffner House, responded to this review, October 8, 2008
Dear guest. I am disappointed by your comments and feel they are a complete misrepresentation. Where do I start? The staircase is no steeper or narrower than an average sized home, same with the height of the ceilings. It may have seemed small due to the grandeur of the rest of the house but certainly not how you described. There are 2 TV's in the room which you failed to mention, the one in the living room being much larger. The bathroom and tub/shower is located in a different room than the Jacuzzi tub which is why we said 'separate'. We were not here to check you in because it was very late at night. I wish you would have explained your disappointment because we had a waitlist of people that would have loved your room. Additionally, how are we able to fix anything if you do not let us know? With regard to breakfast, our guests love our omelets: Fresh baked biscuits, juices, coffees teas, fruit, and 3 egg omelets with ham, Swiss cheese and mushrooms seems sufficient to most of our guests. If you were still hungry we would have given you more.
The room is on the lower level so it does not get as much daylight. That is true. The room however is one of the most comfortable in the house with the best king size bed and large Jacuzzi. "Not conducive to a long soak"? That makes no sense at all.
I am not sure why you didn't see us. We live here and are in the office most of the day. Where were you? We didn't see you at wine and cheese time. Should we have come to your room and knocked on the door? It is true you did not see us Friday morning at breakfast because I was having a root canal. I tried to reschedule my appointment but the dentist could not see me for another 3 weeks. I had no idea it would be such a big deal. My husband was still here cooking but did not recall seeing you in the house after breakfast.
To all future guests:
We care very much about your comfort. We love our house and want to share it with you. It is a very large house with 10 rooms so we don't always see everything. If there is a problem with your room, please let us know so that we may remedy it for you. We look forward to your stay and hope that this guest’s comments have not scared you off.
Santiago, Chile
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

Well, I'm going to be the odd woman out on this one, given all the fabulous reviews of the Shaffner House. I admit that we'd just come from a fabulous inn in Raleigh (the Cameron Park Inn B&B), so the Shaffner House suffered by comparison.

The first thing I look for in a place to stay is cleanliness. When I went to look out the window of our room, I noticed that the window sills were very dirty; lamps and other light fixtures were in need of dusting. The tub had standing water in it when we arrived, and the wall paper had gouges in it in several places. The sheets were not top quality, and smelled too much like bleach. This was not what I was looking for for a romantic vacation getaway (particularly when the place isn't exactly cheap).

The one bright spot was the breakfast, which was quite good, although I wondered about the state of the kitchen.

I didn't get the sense that the place was very accommodating, we were warned that we could check in no earlier than 4 p.m., or would have to pay $25/hour....

We ended up staying only one night instead of two, knowing that our money would probably not be refunded.

• Liked — the breakfast
  • Disliked — lack of cleanliness, upkeep
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
LoveOurGuests, Owner at Henry F. Shaffner House, responded to this review, August 15, 2008
Dear Guest. Yikes! We can't remember why you had to leave a day early but we hope you are not saying these things because of our cancellation policy. Regardless, we wanted to respond for the benefit of our future guests: We inspected your room and found dust on the window sills. We definitely apologize for this and have had them thoroughly cleaned. We inspected all other furnishings, lamps, mantles, etc.. and found no dust. We do not have gouges in the wallpaper however we do have two (very small) screw holes from an fixture that was attached to the bathroom wall that is no longer there. The bathtub faucet has a slight drip but does not cause standing water. Our sheets are 300 count. Our kitchen is inspected every 3 months by the Forsyth county health department and our sanitation grade is 99.5%. The santiation grade for our hotel is 98.5%. We are glad you enjoyed your breakfast. :)
Greensboro, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

I stayed here on my wedding night. I wanted a quick getaway to somewhere that would feel miles away, and it was that. I was delighted to be asked my dietary restrictions when I checked in because I'm a vegetarian. Breakfast was gourmet, though small (one biscuit, no seconds, for example). It was clean, ghostly quiet, and the antique furnishings made you feel transported to a different time. The private bathroom was elegant and lovely though yes it was several rooms down, and the bathtub drain wasn't great so I was standing in water. No one was around so I felt comfortable going there in the comfy bathrobe provided. My only complaint is the bed and the mere 2 pillows were both hard, so I suggest bringing some fluffy pillows with you. I didn't care because I was exhausted and just wanted peace and quiet. There was a large TV discreetly kept in an armoire. We had no minifridge but were delighted to find that sodas, etc, were free upon request. The front door is really complicated and the owners weren't thta helpful in negotiating it. We also had trouble getting there because of downtown traffic, one way streets, and the parking lot being in an odd location, but once we got there we didn't want to leave anyway. I highly recommend it and can't wait to visit again. The price was unbelievably low, too! If you want just another Holiday Inn you won't like it, but if you want something romantic and unique, you'll love it!

• Liked — Sophisticated, romantic setting
  • Disliked — hard beds
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
LoveOurGuests, Owner at Henry F. Shaffner House, responded to this review, August 10, 2008
Dear Guests. We are so honored that you spent your wedding night at our Inn. Thanks for your feedback. We have corrected the drain in your tub. I apologize for the inconvenience. Also, there are extra pillows in each room (usually in the closet). Congratulations on your wedding and I wish you a wonderful life together. If you return on your anniversary, please let us know so we can do something special. Best Wishes. Michelle & Chris.
Durango, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Shaffner House one night during a visit to Old Salem.
First the positives:
* My husband said the omelets were fantastic. (I don't really eat eggs...or breakfast for that matter)
* The homemade biscuits were fantastic. (I can vouch for that!)
* The home is beautiful
* Happy Hour is pleasant
* When we met the owners at breakfast, they were nice and welcoming.
* The bath tub in our suite was FANTASTIC. My husband and I are on the tall side and this bath may have been the first time we fit in the tub. Since I am a bath lover, that made all other negatives fade away!
Some negatives:
* Our check-in was a little discombobulated. A staff member (not the owners) checked us in an didn't give us an overview/tour of the house/grounds/amenities. Since that's part of why we stayed at a historic home, I was sad to not get that piece. We mainly figured out the location/timing of happy hour and breakfast through reading some signs in our room. It seems like the welcome could have included that. When we asked for dining suggestions (from the same person), it was a little like pulling teeth.
* Our room, (the Forsyth Suite) is on the "basement level." That means very little (almost no) natural light, some foot traffic noise and low ceilings. I didn't really like those aspects, but again the tub was amazing.
OVERALL: I would stay at the Shaffner House again, but probably pick a different room with some exterior lights/view (and hopefully the same tub!)

• Liked — The Tub & The Beauty of the Common Areas
  • Disliked — Check-in was awkward / missed the sunlight
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dear Guest. Thank-you so much for your feedback. I wanted to apologize on behalf of my employee. It was her first week working here and she was still learning the check in prodedure. It is unfortunate that we were not here to help her along. We would have been thrilled to give you a tour and tell you the history. I also thought I'd mention we have standard 8' ceilings in the 2 lower level suites, however they may have seemed low relative to the 12' ceilings in the rest of the house. Thank-you for staying and I look forward to meeting you and giving you a full private tour and history of the house upon your return. Sincerely, Michelle & Chris Hughes.

Been to Henry F. Shaffner House? Share your experiences!