“Do not waste your time!! Seriously!!” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Café
Good for: Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Do not waste your time!! Seriously!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

I am a Wake Forest graduate student, who has given Simply Yummy my loyal patronage well over thirty times, I would imagine, spanning the last two years and I have about had it with the joint. Recently, I visited Simply Yummy and ordered an Americana (usually I get lunch, but I was in route to class), simple enough, right? Well, a service associate took my order at the counter and I paid him accordingly ($20 cash and received my change in kind). While he was making my coffee, two of my colleagues showed up and we enjoyed a little bit of conversation. Needless to say, after I had paid for my coffee, chatted with my colleagues and doctored the Americana up at the coffee station, and just as I was about to walk out the door, I was abruptly stopped in my tracks. An older woman with a supervisory feel, from behind the counter literally (and publicly) snapped at me, "did you pay for that?" I had assured that I had paid for it in full... a whopping $3-ish(?) (with a $2-tip to my regret!!). Although, I was a little unnerved at being accosted while while leaving, I was willing to let it slide, because after all, this sort of thing happens. (I have worked in restaurants before!!). My utter dissatisfaction took shape though, as I was walking away toward Wake, some 200-300 feet out from Simply Yummy's premises, when I heard a voice from behind. Mind you, I was still talking to my colleagues as they were leaving too. It was my initial waiter, asking me the very same thing... "Did you pay?" (I felt like I was being publicly shamed twice-over in front of my colleagues) I reminded him about the $20 dollar bill, he remembered, and that was that, at least I am assuming. Having been a loyal patron, and having experienced this seeming "distrust" and "public shame" was enough to tick me off and make me write this review. Note: that this event was also a tipping point of sorts, in that, the service for the last several months (i.e. September through October) has been sub-par at best. I often have to wait far too long, for food that is somewhat blasé, in an anxious and now hostile environment... Seriously, shaming someone for a few bucks. Shame on you!! I say, No more!! Avoid this place!! Unless they seriously change the supervision there, and their customer service, this place will keep tanking (i.e. read the other reviews)!!

• Visited October 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Service was terrible - after waiting over an hour, we still had not received our food.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

We entered this cafe with high hopes -- the atmosphere appeared pleasant and the menu looked good. It was busy, but nothing aside from very poor management can explain the disarray we observed in their failure to get food and checks out to customers. Our order (soup and salad!) was taken promptly, but our food NEVER showed up. After 40 minutes I asked about our order and was told "we're very busy." I inquired twice more, and was finally told "your order just came up, it will be out in a couple of minutes." Fifteen minutes later we left, hungry and very angry about having wasted an hour of what should have been a really pleasant day at Reynolda with my spouse. The server? -- Could not have cared less. He, like the other food servers, seemed to wander around aimlessly. We watched one server going around with a stack of checks in hand, searching for tables to leave them at--most of them tables where diners had not yet received their food. If I was the owner of this restaurant I would be looking very carefully at my service protocols and at my employees! Stay away from this place unless you have a LOT of time to kill.

• Visited November 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Great atmosphere makes up for quality/quantity to price ratio”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

I am a vegan and it's always hard to find places to eat, but I do enjoy going to Simply Yummy when friends are about because it's got such a good atmosphere and a delicious Chai Latte (soy). However, I usually get a salad, which is basically some wilty lettuce, craisins (not even generously), and some pecans. Not too big, not very filling and nine dollars- REALLY? Even if they bought it all local, fresh, and organic I can not see justification for such prices. It's not as if they have culinary experts making their food. If I knew that they got all their stuff from local farmers I would be alright with forking out the dough for their goods. But I won't be buying any more food there, just the beverages (which is pricey everywhere).

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
oak ridge, NC
“Overcharged and food not great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

I stopped by Simply Yummy to get lunch to go. They overcharged me (charged me for a double sandwich but only gave me a single - didn't realize til I was back at my office). The sandwich was average but definitely not worth the price. I also upgraded my side to the fruit salad which was filled with pineapple rind (the hard stuff you are supposed to throw away.) It's a trendy college town joint that I'm sure the locals love but really, it's over priced and their attention to detail is lacking. I paid $11+ for half a sandwich and a fruit salad that had only a few edible bites in it. I won't be going back.

• Visited March 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Culinary and Ambiance Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

This is my go-to place if I want a cheery atmosphere and consistently good food for lunch. Plenty of outside seating, but inside is a little tight. However, this has never been an issue for me because the place is usually filled with friendly and respectful folks ranging from college students, professors, to parents and grandparents. The waitstaff are extremely polite and very receptive to your needs. Warm colors adorn the ceiling and walls and some of the tables are actually painted with art. Very clean feel and look to the place. Lots of good things on the menu too such as black bean cakes, grilled cheese with a touch of brown sugar added, turkey sandwich (not pressed turkey either!), soups (vegetarian friendly and carnivore friendly) and a variety of quality built salads some with fruit in it. The food arrives relatively quick and the quality is consistently good. You can definitely tell it was made from scratch which is a good thing! I had the grilled cheese and the brown sugar inside it really enhanced the flavor of the sandwich. Definitely my favorite thing on the menu mostly because I'm a grilled cheese fanatic! They also have a solid inventory of coffees and loose teas which you can get hot or iced. I had the Pumpkin Spice Latte on this visit and was most pleased. I've also tried the cranberry-orange rooibos tea which was a winner as well. There are also a fairly good range of made-fresh-daily pastries to choose from: chocolate whoopee pies, pleasingly large cupcakes, a variety of big cookies, fruit bars, and cake slices. I usually get the chocolate chip cookie and am never disappointed. Great combination of soft and crunchy and the big chocolate chips are a bonus!

This place is simply great!

• Visited February 2011